Conflicting apoe data, need to find testing center

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Art3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Conflicting apoe data, need to find testing center

Post by Art3/4 »

Hello, I am 28yo male who done both the 23andme and ancestrydna tests and then submitted raw data from each to promethase. The data from 23andme shows that I have one apoe3 and one apoe4, however the data from ancestrydna shows that I do not have a 4.

Can someone help me find a good testing center for alzhiemers so I can be sure of my status? I live in New York, and after visiting a neurology ceneter I was quoted $1500 for the test as my insurance does not cover it. Are there any cheap reliable options out there??
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Conflicting apoe data, need to find testing center

Post by Stavia »

$299
http://www.truehealthlabs.com/Apolipopr ... _apo_e.htm

That was a few seconds on google. Shop around.
I think NY state doesn't allow direct to consumer testing but its easy enough to get to another state right? The train system is excellent.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Art, welcome!

I very recently discovered I was in a similar situation (a separate test just came back 4/3, whereas 23andMe told me a few years ago I was 4/4, and I've been living with that horrible knowledge for all this time). I've been waiting to post about the details because it will come as a bombshell to many of my friends here. It certainly STUNNED me. More on my situation when I have more info.

As to you: Before spending money on another test, I would strongly recommend contacting both 23andMe and AncestryDNA and explaining the conflict. One or both may offer to retest for free. Obviously, one of them made a mistake.

G
Art3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Art3/4 »

Gilgamesh wrote: As to you: Before spending money on another test, I would strongly recommend contacting both 23andMe and AncestryDNA and explaining the conflict. One or both may offer to retest for free. Obviously, one of them made a mistake.
Thank you.

Since I used promethease to check the raw data why would either service offer any support?
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Promethease doesn't check the data, it interprets it. (Your question about finding a [third] testing center made me think you understood that.)
Art3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Art3/4 »

Gilgamesh wrote:Promethease doesn't check the data, it interprets it. (Your question about finding a [third] testing center made me think you understood that.)
I understand, however since either test does not check for APOE alleles officially why would they offer support?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Art3/4 wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:Promethease doesn't check the data, it interprets it. (Your question about finding a [third] testing center made me think you understood that.)
I understand, however since either test does not check for APOE alleles officially why would they offer support?

because one of them is in error. They wouldn't like it to be known that they give out erroneous data.
Art3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Art3/4 »

Stavia wrote:
Art3/4 wrote:

because one of them is in error. They wouldn't like it to be known that they give out erroneous data.
Alright. I sent 23andme an email saying there may be a error in my raw data. I'll update with their reply.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Art, your physician can independently order a specific APOE test through one of many options like Boston Heart Diagnostics or True Health Diagnostics. I've recently learned that this test alone can be done quite inexpensively. Do your homework and inquire about pricing and availability before making an appt.

G, very interesting. Is this your personal "Get out of jail free" card? Jelly :mrgreen:
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Not because of different results, but I've had 3 tests: 23andMe, True Health Diagnostics and Labcorp. Labcorp was first and I ordered it through one of the online services https://www.directlabs.com/. It wasn't labeled "ApoE" but "Cardio IQ® ApoE Genotype" https://www.directlabs.com/TestDetail.aspx?testid=1821 Currently priced at $239. If you search on APO, it should be in the list.

I did 23andMe to check and then Dr. Gundry had the True Health as part of his standard panel.

As Stavia says "Regardless of where you live, our requisitions can NOT be used at lab locations in the states of MD, NJ, NY and RI. "
Tincup
E3,E4