Caffeine raises ketones even with high-carb breakfast

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Caffeine raises ketones even with high-carb breakfast

Post by apod »

This was an interesting article -- perhaps this has something to do with why I was seeing ketones up in the 0.4 - 0.6mmol range between breakfast and dinner while still eating upwards of 200 grams of total carbs / d with IF. I have noticed that dinner usually sees worse glucose disposal / insulin sensitivity.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/12 ... n-old.html

"This is an observation which would suggest that the breakfast coffee could be even more useful for ketogenic dieters who are intermittently fasting, as it would give them a headstart into full-blown ketosis in the time between breakfast and dinner. The observation that caffeine enhances lipolysis and increases blood FFA levels, which in turn provide substrates for ketogenesis ad thus stimulate safe and mild ketonemia in healthy adults to a ketone level twice that seen after an overnight fast, has the authors speculate that regular caffeine consumption may be linked to the decreased risk of developing late-life cognitive decline, as it was observed by Panza, et al. only recently in what is one of the latest reviews on this topic, if not primarily, then at least also because of its effect on ketogenesis."
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Caffeine raises ketones even with high-carb breakfast

Post by Harrison »

Very interesting finding. My intermittent fasting regimen has evolved from strict IF from 8pm to noon to having a 12oz coffee with almond milk, cream, and stevia/sucralose at 8am. I don't measure ketones, but I can say that I lost about 5 pounds vs. no coffee. I found that slightly paradoxical, but maybe this is the mechanism for it.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Harrison wrote:sucralose at 8am
:shock: :?
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

apod wrote:
Could you elaborate your thoughts on the sucralose beyond the emoji :D ? I know there's a lot of bad press around the artificial sweeteners, but I don't seem to have any issues with them.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Harrison wrote:
apod wrote:
Could you elaborate your thoughts on the sucralose beyond the emoji :D ? I know there's a lot of bad press around the artificial sweeteners, but I don't seem to have any issues with them.
My concerns for sucralose are primarily the potential (unproven?) metabolic / gut microbiome issues. It's all about the black coffee. :D

I like the idea of using erythritol as a sugar sub (or maybe xylitol.) Although, perhaps these have their own issues. Gregor on NutritionFacts has good things to say about it, and he tends to be pretty picky.

L-Glycine seems like an interesting sweetener... or inositol... or alpha-GPC.. or Inulin+FOS. Someone should mix this up and sell it as a functional sweetener (if it doesn't taste bad.) "Sweet Thoughts."
Hepoberman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hepoberman »

There is an interesting sub-plot here. If we consistently eat in a way that does not overdose our metabolic system with energy, we wake up every morning utilizing some ketone energy. If we add caffeine to the morning mix, cortisol upregulates which upregulates lipolysis, this usually increase serum ffa's enough to upregulate ketone production (there are other mediators).

As long as we are not chronically over eating, we wake with some ketone energy every morning. The many benefits of not eating too much are obvious but tricky part is keeping good thyroid function while remaining slight hypocaloric.