Recipes: for picky eaters

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Recipes: for picky eaters

Post by LG1 »

Do you have a favorite recipe for incorporating a food you don't usually enjoy but want the nutrients it provides?

Thought I'd start a topic for recipes that help picky eaters like me 'hide' some of these nutrient rich foods that are so good for us but not so tasty for some.

Here's a great article I ran across when trying to figure out how to use the sardines I bought. Lots of interesting ideas on how to hide them in delicious recipes. I'll post what I decided to make later. I haven't yet decided.

SARDINES: 51 Sardine Recipes For The Fussiest Of Fish Eaters

https://www.alexfergus.com/blog/51-sard ... ish-eaters
ε4/ε4
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Recipes: for picky eaters

Post by LG1 »

Found a way to incorporate more leafy greens and it was so delicious and so quick I had to share...

Cauliflower rice with rainbow chard and kale:
Stir fry small amount of olive oil over medium heat, toss in chopped leafy greens and cook for several minutes then add cauliflower rice. Sprinkle turmeric, garlic powder, himalayan sea salt and stir/cook until tender... add a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a bit of red pepper flake to taste. So amazing. I used the pre-riced cauli and garlic powder but of course you can use the real garlic and rice your own cauli... but this was super quick which is sometimes the key to getting in a healthy meal.

Of course, this is super easy to adjust to one's taste.. add more or less cauli to the greens, throw in another herb or even add some shrimp.. yummy.
ε4/ε4
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Thank you!!
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I felt quite a lot of enthusiasm for sardines at first. I really stocked up on them, then totally lost the enthusiasm. Some of your tasty sounding suggestions are getting me to want to start working through my stash tomorrow. I'll report back.
Starfish
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Starfish77 wrote:I felt quite a lot of enthusiasm for sardines at first. I really stocked up on them, then totally lost the enthusiasm. Some of your tasty sounding suggestions are getting me to want to start working through my stash tomorrow. I'll report back.
Starfish
Here's a couple from my recipe book -- Sardines mashed with Nut Butter (eg. Pecan Butter) + Salt, Sardines mashed with onion powder + grated ginger + olive oil + coconut aminos + salt + black pepper. Fresh grated ginger really de-sardines them. :D
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I like the grated ginger idea. I'm going to try that.
Thanks,
Starfish
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Nancy wrote:Thank you!!
[emoji41]
ε4/ε4
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Starfish77 wrote:I felt quite a lot of enthusiasm for sardines at first. I really stocked up on them, then totally lost the enthusiasm. Some of your tasty sounding suggestions are getting me to want to start working through my stash tomorrow. I'll report back.
Starfish
I'm going to start out slow with the sardines by hiding some in the Caesar dressing. Let me know what you end up doing with yours. Good thing they keep for a long time!
ε4/ε4
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Apod, what do you put the mash sardine on? I'm not eating crackers ( no wheat) Thanks for posting, this looks interesting.

Please excuse my messed up responses earlier. I was trying to use Tapatalk and I'm not used to it :oops:
Last edited by LG1 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ε4/ε4
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Oops
Last edited by LG1 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ε4/ε4