Recipes: for picky eaters

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Recipes: for picky eaters

Post by LG1 »

Thx! With the sardine mash… Do you eat it plain, spread it on fish or? I don't eat crackers since I am off wheat. Maybe you have a substitute for a cracker or a low-carb one?
Last edited by LG1 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ε4/ε4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

LG, there are a lot of recipes for nut-based crackers out in the recipe blogosphere. Here's one example.

https://elanaspantry.com/herb-crackers/

They aren't hard to make at all, and you don't need a dehydrator, which some recipes call for.

Also, I like to take riced cauliflower and do a light sauté with other veggies (like onion, celery, broccoli, mushrooms) in a little olive oil, and then add a sprinkle of ginger, a splash of sesame oil and coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you prefer) for a simple "fried" rice. If you have real ginger in the fridge, just mince a little to throw in with the veggies. It's versatile in that it can be breakfast on it's own (even throw in a beaten egg or two), or more substantial with some protein, and you can modify freely by using your favorite veggies.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

SusanJ wrote:LG, there are a lot of recipes for nut-based crackers out in the recipe blogosphere. Here's one example.

https://elanaspantry.com/herb-crackers/

They aren't hard to make at all, and you don't need a dehydrator, which some recipes call for.

Also, I like to take riced cauliflower and do a light sauté with other veggies (like onion, celery, broccoli, mushrooms) in a little olive oil, and then add a sprinkle of ginger, a splash of sesame oil and coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you prefer) for a simple "fried" rice. If you have real ginger in the fridge, just mince a little to throw in with the veggies. It's versatile in that it can be breakfast on it's own (even throw in a beaten egg or two), or more substantial with some protein, and you can modify freely by using your favorite veggies.
Susan, Love the idea of using nuts and cauliflower to replace creamy sat fat. I want to try the herb-crackers. Just a couple of ingredients! Out of herbes de provence so will use rosemary I think. Your fried 'rice' sounds delicious.. I wonder if fresh basil would be good too. I like fresh ginger a lot.. will get some. Is sesame oil a 'good' oil? I don't recall, will have to look it up.. but I"m sure if you are using it there is not an issue. Not familiar yet with coconut aminos.. putting it on my list.

Here is a link to a few soups using macadamia nuts or cauliflower in them.. the broccoli cream and tomato look good.
https://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/0 ... be-eating/
ε4/ε4
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

LG1 wrote:Apod, what do you put the mash sardine on? I'm not eating crackers ( no wheat) Thanks for posting, this looks interesting.

Please excuse my messed up responses earlier. I was trying to use Tapatalk and I'm not used to it :oops:
I'll usually just put it in a little bowl and have that as a side. Then my main plate will have something like salad greens, guac, and steamed / pressure cooked vegetables. Often with another small side of fruit, starches, or nuts. Tapas style!
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

apod wrote:
LG1 wrote:Apod, what do you put the mash sardine on? I'm not eating crackers ( no wheat) Thanks for posting, this looks interesting.
I'll usually just put it in a little bowl and have that as a side. Then my main plate will have something like salad greens, guac, and steamed / pressure cooked vegetables. Often with another small side of fruit, starches, or nuts. Tapas style!
That's a fun way to eat. I am now hooked on the idea of making Susan's little crackers and thinking the sardines will go nicely. I like baking.. although pretty new to it. I made an enormous meyer lemon tart last month with almond meal in the crust and Erythritol in place of the sugar. Perhaps not ideal food choice but healthier than most sweets and so nice to have a little piece of something sweet.
ε4/ε4
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

That lemon tart sounds good...I used to love lemon bars. I really miss them sometimes :(
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Or go with cauliflower hummus. It's the perfect substitute for chick peas.

http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2012/08/1 ... an-hummus/

I use a little less onion since I'm not keen on raw onion. But I take it to potlucks and it disappears!
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

LG1, thank you for the reminder to eat sardines again. I can only eat them in a salad though...

I like the idea of connecting with other's here and recommending recipes, perhaps certain blogs and cookbooks for inspiration. I find menu planning difficult at times when only one of us is APOE4 (not to mention other issues) and the other wants things that I shouldn't partake in. :(

Susan, thank you for the cauliflower hummus recipe! I'm going to try that. And Elana's Pantry (cracker recipe) has a lot of great recipes.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Thx, a couple of other good recipe sites for healthy dinners (not just baking) are:

http://againstallgrain.com/blog/ - I have all 3 of her cookbooks and her recipes don't require a lot of exotic ingredients

http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/recipe-index/ - she uses coconut flour a lot, which I can only tolerate a little of, but she has many great ideas for meals

http://autoimmunewellness.com/recipes/ - I like to check out their soups, salads and sides for ideas
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Thank you Susan! I am familiar with Against All Grain, but haven't visited her site in quite awhile. I used to sign up to all of those mostly paleo blogs awhile back, but quit them after learning about my results from 23 and me. I needed to make a huge change. I was using too many coconut products and most of them, at that time, seemed to be pushing bacon, lard, butter, fatty cuts of beef, etc . Perhaps things have shifted now with meat not being so much in the forefront with "plant based" foods being "in" now. More veggies. Plus, I got into trouble with making all of those delicious gluten free goodies and gained weight. ;) I'll check out the sites! Thanks again.