Recipes: for picky eaters

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Recipes: for picky eaters

Post by SusanJ »

I actually ended up avoiding a lot of paleo blogs because they were just too saturated fat oriented. I don't use any of the recipes that use red meat, but if you still eat poultry, AAG has some nice recipes. And of course, there are good ideas for fish in there, too. Like any cookbook or site, you just gotta figure what works for you, but any of the sites will give you ideas if you're looking to liven up your routine rotation.

So, yep, just avoid looking at the desserts and baked goods and you should be okay. :lol:
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

SusanJ wrote:So, yep, just avoid looking at the desserts and baked goods and you should be okay. :lol:
LOL! Easy to say... but thanks these were great links and gave me more ideas for things to do....
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Exactly. That's how I felt and that's why I unsubscribed to the paleo blogs. True, you need to tailor the recipe to your needs/liking and to change things up a bit. I think that's where I am now.

Lol, but........some are so tempting! Will certainly do my best. I don't need the extra weight and sugar (even though I drastically reduced what the recipes called for)
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I admit I did some cheating over the holidays, replacing my nightly dark chocolate with one of the wife's chocolate chip cookies! They are gone now so back to the regular diet!
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Nancy wrote:That lemon tart sounds good...I used to love lemon bars. I really miss them sometimes :(
Maybe make lemon bars with almond flour crust and erythritol instead of sugar... for a special treat. They keep in freezer!
ε4/ε4
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

SusanJ wrote:Or go with cauliflower hummus. It's the perfect substitute for chick peas.

http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2012/08/1 ... an-hummus/

I use a little less onion since I'm not keen on raw onion. But I take it to potlucks and it disappears!
I was missing my hummus, thanks!
ε4/ε4
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Mmmm, sounds good, thank you! What do you think about using Stevia in the lemon bars?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

The cauliflower hummus looks good but in my weariness I'm rebelling that they don't have an easy-to-use print friendly version to click on, so back to my other hummus delight: artichoke hummus. I've lost the recipe but it didn't have tahini. I love tahini but I read it was high in copper and so was I.

Don't forget anchovies too, if you can handle the salty intensity. May be more appealing than sardines to some. I seldom use them but would love to hear some ideas. Certainly thrown in salads or on a no-grain pizza.

BTW a quick no-grain pizza crust using on-hand ingredients would be great to have. I believe there are cauliflower based ones. Haven't googled it yet.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

LG1, I tried cooking two eggs with sardines, their olive oil and canned chopped tomatoes, like you would scrambled eggs.
I've tried it with several different spices and it is quite good. It is such an easy way to get fish into my diet. Thanks for the suggestions.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Nancy wrote:Mmmm, sounds good, thank you! What do you think about using Stevia in the lemon bars?
Some recipes need the texture of granulated sugar and some not. It depends on recipe! Have you looked into Erythritol? I have a feeling some folks are going to tell me it will kill me or something.... but at some point geez.... give me a break. I feel like if I only eat a bit here and there... of course who can only eat half a lemon bar? Hmmm..
ε4/ε4