If you should choose to drink alcohol -- which is best?

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
udeskym
Contributor
Contributor

If you should choose to drink alcohol -- which is best?

Post by udeskym »

Two questions:

1) How bad is drinking alcohol for our condition? Is it bad?

2) If you still wanted to indulge in a drink or two is it better to drink something like a glass of red wine (which has less fructose) -- or opt for hard alcohol which contains less sugar like Vodka or Whisky?

Thanks!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: If you should choose to drink alcohol -- which is best?

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, udeskym! This hasn't been well studied but the evidence to date suggests drinking alcohol is NOT a good idea for us. Have you seen our wiki article on the topic? That being said, I occasionally indulge with a few ounces of dry red wine. I pretend that the resveratrol up regulates my SIRT1 ;).
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: If you should choose to drink alcohol -- which is best?

Post by ru442 »

Juliegee wrote:Welcome, udeskym! This hasn't been well studied but the evidence to date suggests drinking alcohol is NOT a good idea for us. Have you seen our wiki article on the topic? That being said, I occasionally indulge with a few ounces of dry red wine. I pretend that the resveratrol up regulates my SIRT1 ;).
Ditto :wink:

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
udeskym
Contributor
Contributor

Post by udeskym »

Have not seen the Wiki page -- will check that out for sure! Thanks for sharing.
Not exactly the news I wanted to hear, but alas, sort of expected. :)
I've basically conformed to most of the other specifications to this group -- diet completely overhauled, 12 hour fast, etc... but this one might be the hardest.

In a separate note, Juliegee, -- I don't know how to private message so I'll just say it publicly -- I've sort of hid this slow progression of a condition from my friends/family (been ongoing for 6 years now) and would love to commiserate with someone with similar issues -- maybe over the phone sometime at that person's convenience. (would you be interested, Juliegee?) Just putting that out there. Nothing too intense -- just to compare notes I was thinking. Also, totally understand if people want to hold onto their anonymity. Just let me know if that sounds good to anyone and I'll leave my cell phone or email address.

I'm really happy I found this group!

Thanks, Michael.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Welcome, Michael!

The alcohol question is unresolved, but I would be cautious: there's good reason to believe we get all the harm, and none of the risk-reduction benefits (benefits to the soul are a different matter!).

Myself, I decided the sugar in wine was likely to be far, far more harmful than the vanishingly small amount of resveratrol in fewer than a couple dozen or so bottles of red wine (even in Pinot Noirs from cold wet climates -- it's a tiny amount compared to those used in studies showing benefit) would be beneficial, so when i indulge, I go for the hard stuff.

G
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'd be happy to talk, Michael. Just send me a PM and we'll set it up. FWIW, I'm feeling really good- hopeful for us all.

EDIT: Just saw that you're unfamiliar with how to PM. Click on a my pic. Underneath, you'll see the option to contact me. Simply click "Send PM" or you can email me at juliegee@apoe4.info.
udeskym
Contributor
Contributor

Post by udeskym »

Thank you Gilgamesh! I saw a neurologist a few years ago and when I pressed him on wanting to continue drinking -- he said to stick to red wine, but only have a glass or two per week or something like that. So I mostly drank red wine (and let's say a bit more than level he was suggesting) -- though I must admit I've always felt the sugar was probably damaging. I think you're right -- the indulgence is for the soul! I'm gonna stop the red wine. Maybe i'll go with Mezcal: no sugar and quite delicious with fresh lime and soda water.

I have been cutting down on alcohol over the last few years and will continue to do so -- just wanted to know people's impressions on this.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

- Michael
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

I'm a little confused on the statement about sugar content. From what I've gathered wine has about 1-1.5 grams of sugar per 5 oz glass. Spirits have essentially zero grams. Beer is pretty low too with less than half a gram. Carbs is interesting with spirits again having zero grams, wine having about 4 grams and beer about 13 grams.

Where you get into trouble on the sugar front is mixed drinks, for example a Mai Tai could have 25 grams of sugar and 30 grams of carbs!
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

From a health benefit, I would drink small grape red wines like cab, merlot, shiraz. Highly beneficial red skin content/extraction during wine making which is present in the final wine product.

As for low sugar, look for bone dry/very dry whites, avoid sweet wines like moscato, riesling, ice wines.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I also try and stick to organics.... Trader Joes has the best variety and very tasty for the price:

* Rare Earth Cabernet - $7.99
* Green Fin Pinot Noir - $4.99
* Green Fin Red Table Wine - $4.99

There are a couple of others... but in general these are very good wines for the price/quality.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"