Low HDL and niacin

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Low HDL and niacin

Post by Fiver »

I'm curious about the HDL levels and AD. And using niaspan slow-telease niacin (1g) to raise HDL. My HDL was 29 and is ~35 with niacin and a statin. I realize HDL levels aren't considered to be quite as important as they used to be. But that's still low. I think niacin can in theory help with SIRT function and mitochondrial health. But I've never read anything specific about it and AD. I'm starting to think that our bodies "find" a good cholesterol profile for us, based on our "need". But I take a statin too. Thinking about stopping the niacin. Any research?
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Low HDL and niacin

Post by KatieS »

Tom, it does seem that any marginal increase of HDL from niacin does not seem to correspondingly decrease CV risks. Perhaps, Here is why. Statins will not increase the HDL, but by decreasing the LDL, possibly less "need". I've been on varying doses of three statins, with the most potent decreasing my HDL~20 and the HDL-particles were halved. So I returned to the minimal dose of a weak statin and stopped the niacin, with the HDL values back to my pre-statin levels.

You might like to post your cholesterol and the A1c labs. The latter does seem to climb up slightly on statins, which as we know is a disturbing trend.