Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Fiver »

I'm new. But it's easy to notice right away the different recommendations. Lower cholesterol and certain fats, or don't. Eat some meat, or don't. At first it seems contradictory. But I'm starting to understand that these are "personalized" recommendations to people with different genetics, and different responses. Seems the only way to know which path to take is to know one's genetics and monitor progress (e.g. inflammation). Otherwise it feels like just guessing. I've been following Dr. Bredesen's plan, loosely so far. And it's not super prescriptive about the diet as long as it is anti-inflammatory. Well, ok. It's not super easy to "be good" on those diets. But I have an understanding of what I should be eating at least.

But THIS part I get. “polyphenols in general are probably the key to not having all the mischievous things that ApoE4 does in your brain. So basically, the more polyphenols I can cram down somebody’s throat, the better. Polyphenols are my area of research.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tom you might be interested in a book called Eating on the Wild Side by Jo Robinson. It has loads of good tips for increasing nutritional content, particularly polyphenols, in the food you eat. I can't decide if I want to try Vital Reds on top of her tips, recognizing that whatever I can buy locally and do with it will probably not mimic what my ancestors ate. Maybe a smaller dose to make it go further, but I'm holding off while focusing on other interventions and Robinson's tips.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Greenie wrote,
The Vital Reds looks interesting, especially if I can save money by not getting desperate probiotics and b-vitamins. Any idea if the B vitamins are methylated?
I suspect the B vitamins in Vital Reds are not methylated. In our consult, Dr Gundry said if we decided to take Vital Reds, we could stop taking our grape seed extract, pycnogenol, and Schiff’s Digestive Advantage (probiotic), no mention of stopping the methylcobalamin or methylfolate that he put me on. In fact, during our consult, Dr G recommended my husband add methylcobalamin (methyl B-12) in response to one of his markers.

There is a complete nutrition content and ingredients label for Vital Reds on this link, just keep scrolling down. http://gundrymd.com/supplements/vital-reds/?b=2
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Thanks for the book tip! I'm on it. It's unfortunate that we've bred much of the polyphenol content out of our foods (or "fertilize" them out as they grow).

I read the ingredients list for the Vital Red. Oh my, they sure covered all the bases, didn't they? I happen to have bags of extracted apple tannins within arms reach - and now I look at them in a totally different way.

I love the idea. And the convenience. I'm intrigued. From my understanding, I certainly agree that polyphenols could be beneficial.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Tom wrote: I read the ingredients list for the Vital Red. Oh my, they sure covered all the bases, didn't they? I happen to have bags of extracted apple tannins within arms reach - and now I look at them in a totally different way.
Gundry has been pushing all manner of polyphenols on us since we've been consulting with him. He wants us to get a lot of unfiltered olive oil, among other things. I guess the olive leaf has much more oleuropein than the oil, so I thought of getting some organic dried leaf. My Moroccan friend says they are very bitter.

In his first book, Gundry talks about a guy "Big Ed" who caused him to add longevity medicine to his cardiothorasic surgeon repertoire. ~15 years ago, Ed came "shopping" for a bypass. He'd been to all the big centers (Mayo, Hopkins, Cleveland & etc) and they said he was too occluded for a bypass. Gundry told him he could not do one either. The guy asked Gundry to rerun the angiogram & Gundry did. To Gundry's amazement, the guy was ~50% less occluded, so he did a bypass on the guy. He asked the guy (who'd lost ~45 lbs) what he'd done & it turns out eating a lot of polyphenols was a big part of it. So it was that happy accident that started Gundry on studying them and also turning part of his practice into keeping people well instead of cutting on them.
Tincup
E3,E4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

That's fascinating. Thanks for the backstory.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

GeorgeN wrote:
Tom wrote: I read the ingredients list for the Vital Red. Oh my, they sure covered all the bases, didn't they? I happen to have bags of extracted apple tannins within arms reach - and now I look at them in a totally different way.
Gundry has been pushing all manner of polyphenols on us since we've been consulting with him. He wants us to get a lot of unfiltered olive oil, among other things. I guess the olive leaf has much more oleuropein than the oil, so I thought of getting some organic dried leaf. My Moroccan friend says they are very bitter.

In his first book, Gundry talks about a guy "Big Ed" who caused him to add longevity medicine to his cardiothorasic surgeon repertoire. ~15 years ago, Ed came "shopping" for a bypass. He'd been to all the big centers (Mayo, Hopkins, Cleveland & etc) and they said he was too occluded for a bypass. Gundry told him he could not do one either. The guy asked Gundry to rerun the angiogram & Gundry did. To Gundry's amazement, the guy was ~50% less occluded, so he did a bypass on the guy. He asked the guy (who'd lost ~45 lbs) what he'd done & it turns out eating a lot of polyphenols was a big part of it. So it was that happy accident that started Gundry on studying them and also turning part of his practice into keeping people well instead of cutting on them.
This article has kept me from supplementing olive leaf: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873395

"Our data supports the concept that phenolic-enriched products, out of the original matrix, could be not only non useful but also harmful. Our results suggest that the formulation of possible functional foods should approximate as much as possible the natural environment in which active molecules are found."
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

GeorgeN wrote:I guess the olive leaf has much more oleuropein than the oil, so I thought of getting some organic dried leaf. My Moroccan friend says they are very bitter.
The YouTheory brand of curcumin that Dr. Gundry likes has olive leaf in it, I think 400 mg.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

apod wrote:This article has kept me from supplementing olive leaf: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873395

"Our data supports the concept that phenolic-enriched products, out of the original matrix, could be not only non useful but also harmful. Our results suggest that the formulation of possible functional foods should approximate as much as possible the natural environment in which active molecules are found."
Thanks for that. I'm still hesitant to get things from pills that can come from food too. Herbal supplements are an odd one. Ostensibly they are 'whole food', but there was a study showing that people taking supplements have more occurrences of liver dysfunction. We discussed this way back and Stavia indicated she sees this all the time in her practice, but it's usually the herbal supplements. In this case it may boil down to dose.
Nick
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nick »

Does anyone know links of good summaries of Bredesen, Gundry, this thread (with over 500 posts) and/or related? I've requested Gundy's book from the library but so have a bunch before me. I have a bunch of tabs open pursuing all sorts of rabbit (or rat) holes and the whole APOE 4 thing plays to my ADD (ADHD with coffee) quite well.

Sometimes I feel that the time I may extend my life by adapting to the APOE 4/3 impact will be less than the time spent figuring it out :(

Anyway ... any good summaries out there?