Great 4 part series on CVD/CAD Risk by LEF

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Great 4 part series on CVD/CAD Risk by LEF

Post by Julie G »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YgHwvlMBDc

Spunky originally shared this in another post. Thought it was so good, it deserved it's own space.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Great 4 part series on CVD/CAD Risk by LEF

Post by Silverlining »

That was a good series...wonder why no one has mentioned pomegranate around here? Maybe I missed it...
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Just watched this series. Really interested in the part that explained how the enzyme PON-1 responsible for preventing oxidation of cholesterol, specifically LDL. Since that is a huge issue for APOE4's....having lots of LDL around which can then oxidize, this seems very important. He mentions several supplements that support PON-1 which can be gotten from some foods, like pomegranate. My favorite though is quercetin which is found in my favorite food.... Red onions!! Although to get the amount he mentions would probably mean eating 3 onions a day (32 mg per 100 grams of onion would mean you would need about 320 mg per 1000 gm to get daily amount which I calculate to be 3 medium size onions :shock:

Plus black tea is supposed to help support that enzyme. This is the tipping point for me to get back to making ice tea and getting off soda's which is something I still crave. I will keep on eating onions but even I don't think I can eat that many. Every day.

Anyone else find this interesting? I see it was first put in another post (somewhere) so there may be all kinds of comments I haven't seen as I wind my way through this forum.

Sandra z
e4,e4
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi Sandra! Yes, I found the series really educational. I've watched it several times...might be time for a third viewing :D I swear I learn something new each time. I did switch from my Jarrow Mk-7 to the LEF Vitamin K formulation after seeing this.

Check out this new paper on using anthocyanin to support PON 1 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24285687

I get quercetin from many foods, including onions and my matcha (green) tea. Funny you bring up soft drinks. I used to have a few diet Cokes a week (before learning of my 4/4 status.) I dropped it- cold turkey almost 2 years ago...but I swear I still occasionally crave it :mrgreen: Ah, the sweet taste of chemicals. Black or green iced tea is a much better alternative!
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Hi Julie,
Where do you get your vitamin k? I am taking Mk-7 but need to figure out about Mk 4.
Do you think the stevia sweetened sodas are ok? Brand zetia. And I know the chemicals are bad....what is it about the artificial sweeteners that are so bad for the brain ?(I know aspartame is but what about the others....)

Thx
Sandra z
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Sandra, I switched to this Vitamin K formulation: http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... mplex.html

You know I'm not a scientist, but I don't think any sodas are OK for us...except maybe club soda, like Perrier or S. Pelligrino- if you like the bubbles. As a 4/4, I only consume food or drinks that can optimally nourish me. All of those other sodas are just chemicals with no neuro-protective properties. I sip room temperature unsweetened matcha tea during the day. It's delicious and the health benefits are mind-blowing. When I need a sweetener, like for kefir or yogurt, I use very limited stevia, Greenleaf. It's supposedly processed without chemicals.

Once I stopped all sweet food, except some berries and sweet potatoes, I stopped craving it...except for an occasional STRONG desire for a Diet Coke. Sigh. :roll:
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Julie, How did I miss this series as well. I have been pm the LEF site a lot lately reading thanks to Suzanne Somers Show and Spunky.
:lol: Julie; DC? That is what messed me up to begin with, DC and all those protein shakes loaded with l-glutamine, l-carnitine over the years. If it wasn't for my asparatame research and Spunky reminding me of the excitotoxins, I still would be a DC fiend.
Sandra, when I slip up, I have a watered down Sprite on ice. Or better yet try Perrier with a little Sprite if you are desperate...Pretend it's champagne. Seriously, my brain function is better without excitotoxins.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Thanks, Jul! Can't wait to watch. :)
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.