Olive Oil Brands

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Olive Oil Brands

Post by LG1 »

As I have switched my main fat source from sf to olive and avocado oil, it is so important that I use a quality oil. Yesterday I came across an article on FB that claimed 3 of the brands I use often were fake... this seemed fishy to me and upon further investigation it seems the story was also fake. There have been instances where the quality was way off but the story claimed the companies were adding cheaper oils like sunflower, vegetable etc.. so there was a fake story about fake olive oil spreading like a virus across the internet. This makes it difficult to separate fact from fiction.

Anyone have an olive oil they use that they are sure of it's quality and taste?
ε4/ε4
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Olive Oil Brands

Post by KatieS »

Last year ABrain4Me recommended this Bariani California olive oil. It's now labelled organic & only CA grown. It seems thicker and tastier than others I've tried, but very reasonably priced at all our local groceries stores.

We have an Olive Connection store here for special occasion olive oils. In fact, I should bring some to which ever conference I can decide to attend.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Last month ConsumerLab.com published a thorough evaluation of ten popular extra virgin olive oils. Enticed by the top marks for polyphenols and cost, I tried the Kirkland Signature Organic product. I have been using another highly rated product from California Olive Ranch, and I noticed the difference right away. The Kirkland oil is much more flavorful.

It's around $15 at Costco for a two liter jug. Amazon sells it for about $22, which is still a great price for such a fine-tasting bona fide EVOO.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I use California Olive Ranch EVOO for cooking and their Arbequina for salads and drizzling, which has that strong spicy tang associated with high polyphenols.

Good heads up Marc. I'll probably grab some Kirkland the next time I'm close to a Costco (the closest one is about 2 hours from my house).
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Thank you all, this was a huge help. Now I have a variety to choose from and don't have to worry I'm consuming some random mix of oils or substandard product. Nice you have done all the research already!
ε4/ε4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Marc, I was unable to read the whole article as I don't subscribe to ConsumerLab. Can you tell us the specifics of the Kirkland brand?

FWIW, I order from Amphora Nueva in the Bay Area. They source the highest polyphenols, provide reliable chemical composition and harvest dates. Their highest polyphenol varieties aren't on their website. Call Nate Bradley directly for that information. He can also help you place your order: (925) 310-4681. The large 750mL bottles are $15 if you mention the ApoE4 discount. They also offer discounted shipping. If you get an associate other than Nate, mention their 3-2-1 discount to ensure that you’re getting the best price point.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Kirkland Signature Organic polyphenol level was 369, peroxide was 5.08, and it scored well on the sensory tests, which were conducted by a single expert taster.

The CL review focused on popular products sold at grocery stores - I wouldn't expect the Kirkland product to match up to Amphora Nueva's best.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Could somebody post a list of the various constituents that were assessed?

I'd like to see if the company that I get my olive oil from has had their oil assessed under similar headings.

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil ... nity/55397

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/phenolic- ... california
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

The link I included in post #2 above provides that information to non-subscribers.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Another olive oil expert is Tom Mueller who has a website, Truth in Olive Oil that you may find helpful as well.

http://www.extravirginity.com/

Just in case you have some extra free time...for a good cause! :D
Slacker
E4/E4