Philips Hue Lighting

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Philips Hue Lighting

Post by circular »

Is anyone using this? I can't afford to splurge on it but thought I'd start a little research into how it works etc. I'm primarily interested in how good the blue light blocking is using the white/color bulbs, but also in the light quality in general. Most LED light seems very unreal to me (although the Hue colors might be fun now and then???). Does Hue enable you to get a really natural looking light in addition to some decent blue light blocking at night?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Philips Hue Lighting

Post by Julie G »

Circ, can you provide links about the blue blocking effect? This is new for me. In general, I try to avoid LED lighting because of it's ability to suppress metatonin and dysregulate circadian rhythm, but the product you're specifically looking into may bypass that? We're renovating our home and I'm disconcerted at how many lighting fixtures are equipped for LED exclusively. I plan to retrofit everything back to incandescent because it's warmer, yellower, less blue and harsh. Is there any evidence that the Phillips's Hue is superior?

Here's an interesting article that outlines the AMA's stance re. LED lighting in terms of public health. They focus primarily on street lighting, but it has lots of helpful hyperlinks.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

Dr Rhonda Patrick uses these: [/url] ]

I don't think she has written about them, but others have posted about circadian rythym and lighting on her blog FoundMyFitness. Links here https://www.foundmyfitness.com/news/t/c ... n%20rhythm

I would love to try them, but the price is keeping me away.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I'm just getting into this. Three of my six kitchen can bulbs are now out and I'm not thrilled with my options, so I'm considering trying Hue to replace these as a starting point and see how it goes. I think you can return in two weeks if not satisfied?

I'm encouraged that Rhonda Patrick is using Hue bulbs. Maybe that spares me from giving the blue blocking value a second thought? Since you control the light coming out of the bulb, and I don't think it gives feedback as to the amount of blue light being emitted, basically the lower into the yellow/red zones the better, but I don't know if it prevents blue light 100%. I read that you want the white/color bulbs for this. The white only Hue bulbs may have more blue light in the low kelvin zone. The color bulb will mix more red in.

I use these $13.00 night lights and love them. Most of our house guests comment that they like them too. You can tell they block all blue light because a blue shirt will look black when they are the only light on. Bulletproof appears to be reselling these for $15.00.

The same company has a no blue light LED bulb, but it won't be as versatile as the adjustable Hue bulbs.

What I'd really like are f.lux bulbs (which don't exist) that would gradually phase the blue light in and out according to my time zone and related sun-up and sun-down. I use f.lux on my computer. It's available for OS X, phones and tablets but not Windows.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Correction, f.lux is available for Windows and Linux too now.

I suddenly recalled seeing something about f.lux and Philips Hue integration. It appears that it's available for those using f.lux on Windows and coming soon to the OS X version along with new features :D
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I admit that I'm intrigued, but the Luddite in me still wonders about the benefit over incandescent bulbs. Wouldn't you still need blue blocking glasses for TV viewing and any computer screen that doesn't block blue light?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

For me TV isn't an issue because I don't watch much, and rarely in the evening. If I do watch in the evening I go into my TV settings and turn the backlight all the way down. Another option if your TV service has it is to use their smartphone or tablet TV app to watch TV using one of these blue light blocking filters. I put this on my phone in the early evening so anytime I use it before bed I'm not looking into blue light. There are same for tablets and I think other phones but just didn't see it quickly. I use it over Apple's iPhone Night Shift feature, which I leave on all day to cut the screen glare.

You could also watch a TV show on a computer screen, or just record it for daytime viewing. Unless you don't use OS X, Windows or Linus, why not download and use f.lux for your computer screen?

I always found incandescent bulbs kind of a murky light in the evening. I've never liked them much and now I think the US is phasing them out? I went through a phase using GE Reveal bulbs and for a while loved they way they brought out the true color of things. But now they seem to bright and I'm sure have a lot of blue light so not good in the evening.

I also think the incandescent bulbs are putting out blue light in the evening. As you mention the blue light blocking glasses are the cheapest all-purpose/room/situation solution, but I'm feeling drawn, bank account notwithstanding, to creating a home ambience that mimics the earth's rotations while I wander around carefree of a strange appliance over my face being fodder for my husband's funky sense of humor :D

I'm also interested in the below cabinet lighting strips for the kitchen since we have nothing for that right now. And the white/color bulbs allow for a sort of lavender and similar range that might be interesting for meditation. Green light for a money ritual to pay for this :lol: ???
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I forgot to add that the hue bulbs, while expensive, should be much more energy efficient and last much longer than incandescent.

Also, I like that my husband would be on the low > no blue light plan. He'd never wear the glasses, but he doesn't mind low light levels.
ajc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajc »

I find even with filters on phones and laptops still dont work prpoerly. Avoiding screens execpt tv after 5pm is very effective and avoids 3.30am waking

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

creating a home ambience that mimics the earth's rotations while I wander around carefree of a strange appliance over my face being fodder for my husband's funky sense of humor
Circ, I so love reading your posts... :lol: :lol: :lol: