Pickles and other beneficial foods...?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
udeskym
Contributor
Contributor

Pickles and other beneficial foods...?

Post by udeskym »

Julie told me some pickles are good for the brain but I forgot the brand she suggested. Does anyone know their pickles? Are all of them good for us? And what other types of food aid in combating the disease? I know what to avoid (believe me) -- just not sure what to add.

Thanks in advance!

- Michael
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Pickles and other beneficial foods...?

Post by Julie G »

Waves, Michael! Nice to see you on the forum. Bubbie's was the brand I recommended because they make several good fermented products including their pure kosher dills and old fashioned sauerkraut. Fermented vegetables, which used to be a staple in almost all cultures before refrigeration, plays an important role in improving gut health by providing beneficial gut bugs.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

And it tastes good! Love Bubbies Sauerkraut, eat a couple spoonfuls every day. YUM. :D
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Bubbies rocks.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Where can I find Bubbles brand? Are they in the refrigerated section or with canned food?
Starfish
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Refrigerated section. Usually where you'd find your other ferments like kimchi.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Any (slight) concern of lectins in pickles?

I've got one of these http://www.pickl-it.com/ with a set of glass "Pickle Pebbles" that works quite well. Man, does that thing stink up the house when you open it, though! :lol: You just add salt, water, veg, then come back in a couple weeks or so... and you've got something both funky & delicious.

I've been going through this brand and enjoying all of their Kraut offerings so far, https://www.farmhouseculture.com/ but I am a little turned off by the plastic packaging. I'd love to see more brands featuring the actual strains used on the back label (or some vetted starters) -- I've heard good things about "histamine-free / D-Lactate free" probiotics or cool new strains like "Lactobacillus plantarum TWK10" but you just don't see these things on your average pickle / starter.
rivervegan
New User
New User

Post by rivervegan »

Be careful! Most supermarket pickles contain ALUMINUM!! You will see ALUM on the ingredient list.
Bubbies is a good pickle brand. The brine for pickles should not have vinegar which inhibits the growth of good bacteria. It should contain water and salt. What is good for our gut is good for our brain :D
udeskym
Contributor
Contributor

Post by udeskym »

RE: Juliegee

"Fermented vegetables, which used to be a staple in almost all cultures before refrigeration, plays an important role in improving gut health by providing beneficial gut bugs."

Thanks, Julie! Question: So do you refrigerate you fermented vegetables or do you keep them at room temp?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi Michael! Bubbies recommends that we refrigerate their products. I hope to get into fermenting my own vegetables one day where refrigerating would inhibit bacterial growth. Sandor Katz's book: The Art of Fermentation provides a compressive guide to do-it-yourself guide to fermentation if you feel ambitious.