Carbs?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Gratefuldawg
Contributor
Contributor

Carbs?

Post by Gratefuldawg »

So I have been making progress, learning from the site and found what I hope will be a functional medicine doctor that can help me, appointment in Monday. The one thing that is driving me crazy is my diet. It's not what you think, it not cutting out all the junk, I'm not eating enough and I am having a terrible time getting enough carbs. So what sources are you all getting your carbs from, what percentage of your meals are carbs, and what's your total grams per day. I saw on another site a well known member for this group was getting 60 grams per day and I can't figure out how. Thanks again for the help and such a great resource!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Carbs?

Post by Julie G »

Hey Gratefuldawg! We're all different, but I eat a lot of carbs (90-100 grams a day) and still stay in mild ketosis because I combine multiple strategies to create KBs. Here's an updated version of my protocol, with pics, and macronutrient ratios, that shows what I eat. Hint: my carbs are primarily tons and tons of non-starchy veggies. Luckily, I love them.

I'm proud of you for cutting out the junk and identifying a physician to help you on your journey. Keep up the great work and give us an update after your visit.
Julie's Protocol, March 2017.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Looking through my cronometer, berries / citrus fruit seem to be main biggest carb boost on low carb days. On higher carb days, purple sweet potatoes, legumes, white rice, and sweeter fruits take the lead. While eating very low carb, it's mostly vegetable, avocado, nuts, and shellfish providing the carbs (and probably some level of gluconeogenesis.) There's probably a decent amount of sugar for me coming from balsamic vinegar / dark chocolate @ 85-100%. Ymmv.

When I'm really carbing it up, my average gets up into the 30-40% macro range for carbs at upwards of 4 meals/d for increased anabolism around high volume, heavy compound lift days. Often, I keep these meals as low-fat meals for the easy glycogen replenishing, at the cost of a glucose + insulin spike. When I'm not carbing it up, I'm in the more moderate 30-50g net carb range, across 1-3x meals.

I'm currently experimenting with using MCT oil with meals (both the PWO carb meals and the high fat meals) to see what that does for me (new lipid panel in 2x weeks to investigate the effects of 30-40g C8/d.) Not quite sure if I want to go NMR Lipoprofile or SpectraCell CardioMetabolic.
Gratefuldawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gratefuldawg »

Thanks to both of you. Julie, I had actually read your protocol before but I'm having a hard time pulling the massive amount of information on this site together, so thanks for pointing that out. I see you eat "breakfast", I have been fasting 15+ hours and wonder if you know if taking olive oil/supplements in the morning will disrupt the benefits of a fast? Thanks again for the help. I'll let you know how the Dr. goes on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yes, you'll notice that my "breakfast" is after noon and ends a 16 hour fast. In the Power Point, I also specify that the only supps I take in the AM are fish oil and curcumin before I exercise. That does break my fast, but also has the power to be beneficial in terms of up-regulating BDNF. Tricky. I take the rest of my supps after my first meal. FWIW, this is a new Power Point that dives a bit more deeply into the dietary topics you were inquiring about. With a CRON-O-meter tutorial and demonstration, I try to show folks how they can manipulate macronutrient ratios to achieve mild ketosis and still eat plenty of carbs by chosing primarily low glycemic options and combining multiple strategies. I strictly logged my diet and tested glucose and ketones faithfully for several weeks to get my data. I was stunned to see that I could eat up to 100 grams of carbs a day and still achieve KBs close to 2.0mM. Good luck at the doctor's. I'll look forward to hearing more.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Julie, link doesn't work. I'd love to see it.
And also please why the fish oil and curcumin before exercise? Is it synergistic? Didnt know fish oil upregulates BDNF?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi Stavia, It looks like the link has worked 25 times. Did you notice it downloads rather than opening in a new browser window? I wonder if it's downloaded to your hard drive and your browser didn't make that clear? My browser gives a very quick downloading notice, but it would be easy to miss.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Ah. Phone. Thanks Circ!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
pguyer807
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pguyer807 »

Juliegee wrote:Hey Gratefuldawg! We're all different, but I eat a lot of carbs (90-100 grams a day) and still stay in mild ketosis because I combine multiple strategies to create KBs. Here's an updated version of my protocol, with pics, and macronutrient ratios, that shows what I eat. Hint: my carbs are primarily tons and tons of non-starchy veggies. Luckily, I love them.

I'm proud of you for cutting out the junk and identifying a physician to help you on your journey. Keep up the great work and give us an update after your visit.
Julie's Protocol, March 2017.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yes, Stavia, I’m hoping the BDNF strategies are synergistic. We know that exercise and curcumin both upregulate BDNF. We’re gathering evidence that fish oil does the same in rats and humans with TBI. I may be *partially* losing my fasting benefits by taking these two supps before I officially break my fast, but gaining benefit by utilizing synergistic strategies to upregulate BDNF. Tricky.

I’ve mentioned before that Dr. Bredesen is very excited about whole coffee fruit concentrate (WCFC) to upregulate BDNF. It may be available very soon. After reviewing my protocol, however, he doesn’t recommend it for me. With my current regimen, he worries it would have an exaggerated BDNF effect. It may be best used in folks who can’t exercise for whatever reason, including moderate stages of AD. There are too many benefits to exercise (aside from BDNF) for me to want to give it up. Here’s a recent article discussing BDNF as it relates to AD touching upon curcumin, fish oil, and WCFC.

How are other folks handling the testing/supplement issue? Is anyone else breaking their fast for supps?