Could Trazadone protect the brain from neurodegeneration?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Could Trazadone protect the brain from neurodegeneration?

Post by Julie G »

Could Trazadone protect the brain from neurodegeneration? That’s what British scientists are suggesting based upon some impressive mice studies. Trazadone (already FDA approved as a depression, anxiety, sleeping aid) seems to protect neurons from assault, such as viruses, which would normally cause the neurons to die. BBC medical journalists do a great of breaking down the science in this FaceBook live event. You can see the press release here and the paper below:

Repurposed drugs targeting eIF2α-P-mediated translational repression prevent neurodegeneration in mice
https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/ ... P-mediated
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Could Trazadone protect the brain from neurodegeneration?

Post by ru442 »

You beat me to this LOL! Was gonna post but you did a much better job researching than I..... and this is just fascinating if it plays out.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

You're too kind, RU. I actually count on YOU for breaking news :D.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I'm lucky, I get to count on both of you and more, long live the forum!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
ajc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajc »

Sounds promising in some way but a quick look at the side effects is a touch worrying to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Juliegee wrote:Trazadone ... seems to protect neurons from assault, such as viruses, which would normally cause the neurons to die.
I was looking for the part where they talk about viruses but didn't find it, so unless I'm missing it, this is just to say that the article and Facebook coverage don't mention protection from viruses specifically, but hopefully viruses will be among the types of assault Trazadone protects from if it works in people. Do I have that right?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey, Circ- I got the virus angle from the FaceBook live event. At the 2 minute mark they start talking about viruses setting off the cascade that causes the neuron to die. From the PR:
The novel approach is focused on the natural defence mechanisms built into brain cells.
When a virus hijacks a brain cell it leads to a build-up of viral proteins.
Cells respond by shutting down nearly all protein production in order to halt the virus's spread.
This is potentially huge (if it translates to humans) given Rudy Tanzi's recent work finding that viruses and biotoxins are triggers for abeta.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks! That 2 min mark was when I sneezed! ;-) Amazing stuff this viruses/AD axis. Started my BEG spray yesterday...
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Just wanted to note that trazadone is not recommended for anyone with bipolar disorder. It's antidepressant effects will worsen bipolar symptoms.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

Seems like some kind of a solution but downstream from the actual problem. Trazodone didn't change prion load in the animals. The mis-folded proteins are there. I wonder if prazosin or another a1-blocker would be as effective at shutting down the hyper active PERK/elf2a response.

Something to watch.