Health Benefits of Vinegars

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Health Benefits of Vinegars

Post by circular »

I'm curious how vinegars play into our dietary schemes. Dr. Gundry has talked about balsamic vinegar having good amounts of resveratrol and being loved by beneficial gut microbiota. I've been using it exclusively (a low sugar variety), but I haven't seen what he bases that on. I went to PubMed and searched 'balsamic vinegar' and up came a review out this month, but it's behind a paywall.
Vinegars are liquid products produced from the alcoholic and subsequent acetous fermentation of carbohydrate sources. They have been used as remedies in many cultures and have been reported to provide beneficial health effects when consumed regularly. Such benefits are due to various types of polyphenols, micronutrients and other bioactive compounds found in vinegars that contribute to their pharmacological effects, among them, antimicrobial, antidiabetic, antioxidative, antiobesity and antihypertensive effects. There are many types of vinegars worldwide, including black vinegar, rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar and white wine vinegar. All these vinegars are produced using different raw materials, yeast strains and fermentation procedures, thus giving them their own unique tastes and flavours. The main volatile compound in vinegar is acetic acid, which gives vinegar its strong, sour aroma and flavour. Other volatile compounds present in vinegars are mainly alcohols, acids, esters, aldehydes and ketones. The diversity of vinegars allows extensive applications in food. [Emphasis added]
That's the first I've heard vinegar has ketones. I doubt they are in very high amounts relative to MCT or ketone ester supplementation, but it would be interesting to know which vinegars may be higher in ketones and whether it's in a physiologically meaningful amount. I wonder whether the 'Mediterrean diet' is higher in vinegar than other diets. I've never seen vinegar mentioned as being a major part of it's health benefits. I'm guessing vinegar is very at the margins nutritionally speaking, but Dr. Gundry got me thinking maybe it's a more helpful player than many realize?

Here's another paper that's out of reach to lay people.
Our results support the idea that [traditional balsamic vinegar] melanoidins may have a role in oxidative damage prevention. Fe(2+)-chelating and heme-binding activities as well as mechanisms of antioxidant activity of TBV melanoidins were also compared with coffee, barley coffee and dark beer melanoidins.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Health Benefits of Vinegars

Post by hill dweller »

Dr Jason Fung (Intensive Dietary Management blog) on vinegar reducing post-prandial blood glucose:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ ... ty-xxviii/

You don't need to try to chug the stuff. Vinegar can be incorporated into the diet via salad dressing, sauces (think hot sauce or asian dipping sauce), spicing up a soup, etc.

Personally, my tongue doesn't like the burn of white vinegar or even apple cider, but I've found that good California champagne vinegar is delicious! I usually stay away from balsamic because the sugar content is higher than I like, especially when reduced.
Last edited by hill dweller on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

This is what I use:

I use them after a carb-y meal.

I also use unpasteurised cider vinegar diluted with water, as well as the balsamic vinegar with San Pellegrino but the tablets are very convenient, if out and about.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hey, with a carby meal ... Gundry soda. Hadn't thought to time it that way. Champaigne and apple cider vinegar give me pretty bad reflux, but for some reason balsamic not so much. Napa Valley Naturals balsamic has only 2 gm sugar per tbs. It goes on all my salads with the high polyphenol EVOO, and in my Gundry soda, and I never seem to tire of it.

Those tablets are interesting.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I hadn't thought of that!
circular wrote:Those tablets are interesting.
They're very useful for travelling, I have them in my bags and in the car.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I didn't know vinegars help digest fats?
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LBKnudson »

Does Bredesen say anything about vinegar?
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I've been reading books by gut doctors recently and apple cider vinegar is the clear winner for gut health. They recommend having at least 1 tablespoon a day. I use it on my salad.

Sources: Mahmoud Ghannoum's Total Gut Balance and Will Bulsiewicz's Fiber Fueled.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR