awake for colonoscopy?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: awake for colonoscopy?

Post by Julie G »

When my mast cell activation (MCA) was in full force, I failed to sedate with the versed IV and was awake for my colonoscopy. It.hurt.a.lot. :shock:. The versed offered NO pain relief, but paralyzed me from being able to verbalize my pain. I was taking enough antihistamines to fell a cow at the time. I'm guessing that's what prevented the versed from taking effect. My MCA is much improved and I've had another one since (with IV versed) with no issues. I almost instantly fell asleep and awoke afterwards clearheaded. It's worth mentioning that I've had almost lifelong GI issues so that may have contributed to my significant pain.

I'm also past due for a colonoscopy, but I'm hesitating. Many (all?) of the preps have been shown to negatively affect health, including neurological health. Here's a good overview of the multiple health concerns. Additionally, many of the preps and pre-diet is sugar-based, something I prefer to avoid. I plan to ask my FMP about my safest options. My grandmother died of colon cancer and I've had several polyps. This is something I've been putting off... (head in sand.)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thought I would link to an old colonoscopy (including preps) thread here.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie isn't interesting that in addressing e4 we're both relieved of much of the mast cell issue, no doubt addressing the chronic inflammatory triggers over time. I was just thinking today about how I haven't even thought about mast cell websites or forums in ages. I even wondered to myself whether people were still on the band wagon. It seems to me now that the mast cells aren't just intrinsically disordered, they are chronically triggered in a disordered way by something(s), and those something(s) are the issue! Now if only these interventions would do something for the EDS! What is the missing piece there if they can't find a gene that causes the hypermobile version, and addressing mast cells doesn't help, suggesting the notion that mast cell mediators are remodeling the connective tissue may not be right. Ugh, but at least we're doing better. I think if I hand't found e4 I'd still be going in circles down the MCAD road. Not that they're irrelevant, but maybe a bit of a red herring. (Sorry to hijack the thread.)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Julie we use picoprep. No sugar. No polyethylene glycol. If you can't get it I can bring you some. Its two small sachets each in a glass of water and then the rest of the 2 litres can be plain water.

INGREDIENTS

PicoPrep powder for solution contains:

10mg of sodium picosulfate;3.5g of magnesium oxide;12.0g of citric acid; and,36mg of aspartame.

PicoPrep does not contain lactose, sucrose, gluten, tartrazine, any azo dyes or “sulfur” medicines.

http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/p ... l-solution

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Post by progranulindefect »

i feel i have to have a colonoscopy- the benefits outweigh the risks. when i first had heavy periods leading to anemia, my family doctor wanted to rule out internal bleeding, so i had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. they found polyps when i was just 42. the doctor said that was highly unusual. two years later i started paleo. 3 years later, i had another standard colonoscopy- no polyps. subsequently my grandfather died of colon cancer at 94 (he never had a colonsocopy), and my father had stage 3 colon cancer at 78 (he is clear of cancer on scans for 3 years now). so i definitely need to go for regular 5-year colonoscopies. but i will talk to the doctor first about having some kind of sedative on hand if i can't take the discomfort- maybe something that will only put me half out. and i am so happy that julie and stavia introduced the prep issue, which i will definitely talk to my doctor about.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I completely agree, pro. The benefit definitely outweighs the potential risk. Huge thanks for your kind offer, Stavia. I'm not a fan of aspartame, but I'll check with my FMP to see if he has an alternative idea. I've previously done a prep with just broth the day before- easy peasy to avoid the prescribed sugar :shock:.
Julie isn't interesting that in addressing e4 we're both relieved of much of the mast cell issue, no doubt addressing the chronic inflammatory triggers over time. I was just thinking today about how I haven't even thought about mast cell websites or forums in ages. I even wondered to myself whether people were still on the band wagon. It seems to me now that the mast cells aren't just intrinsically disordered, they are chronically triggered in a disordered way by something(s), and those something(s) are the issue!
YES, and also very interesting to see how many of us are affected by mast cell/histamine issues. Did you happen to see this thread where I share that Dr. Tanzi has found that sodium cromolyn prevents abeta from progressing to tau- at least in his "Alzheimer's-in-a-dish"? I know you were using that at one time. Are you still?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie, yes (!), that was amazing about the cromolyn! I'm waiting for a good, peaceful slot of time to focus on that thread and what was learned at the conference. Have only skimmed part of it so far.

Not that you were talking to me specifically about the risk/benefit of a colonoscopy, but in my case I could literally end up closer to needing a spinal fusion (with it's own risks) if I do a colonoscopy, due to the torque on where my spine is broken and has slipped 12 mm. I'm weird in that I wish I could get a colonoscopy! My every move and position is calculated to try to prevent the spondylolisthesis from getting worse, and long gone are the days of simply sitting on a couch or comfy chair.

This is just to say: Everyone be happy you can get this potentially life-saving procedure! Easy for me to say ;)
Asterling47
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Asterling47 »

Stavia wrote:Julie we use picoprep. No sugar. No polyethylene glycol. If you can't get it I can bring you some. Its two small sachets each in a glass of water and then the rest of the 2 litres can be plain water.

INGREDIENTS

PicoPrep powder for solution contains:

10mg of sodium picosulfate;3.5g of magnesium oxide;12.0g of citric acid; and,36mg of aspartame.

PicoPrep does not contain lactose, sucrose, gluten, tartrazine, any azo dyes or “sulfur” medicines.

Is picoprep available in US?

http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/p ... l-solution

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Post by progranulindefect »

i had my colonoscopy with no drugs of any kind yesterday. i only had one incidence of real discomfort- when my colon was expanding i think due to a rush of left over prep fluid (normal to have that residual fluid according to the doctor). my doctor quickly relieved the pressure by suctioning the fluid (which is on the tool/camera he was using). the doctor would also slowly back up if i said i was a little uncomfortable, and then go forward i guess at a different angle. i think a lot of my positive experience was because my doctor was highly skilled, joking with me, committed to making me comfortable, and i trusted him. he had done my previous 2 colonoscopies and my mother knew him as a doctor with an excellent reputation from the time they worked together in the same hospital. also the doctor said his use of c02 to inflate the colon was key to having less discomfort. supposedly the co2 keeps the colon from inflating too much??? i was really nervous before the procedure and i caused a little rucus as the center as i heard people (nurses/doctors?) saying stuff like- she needs to have a back up iv just in case (they did put the iv tube in me and i did sign the consent for propofol just in case i started squirming with discomfort and so the risk of perforation would be greater). the doctor emphasized i was is the driver's seat and could get propofol as soon as i wanted it, which would start working within 20 seconds. the doctor does 15 colonoscopies a day and has been practicing for years. he has done a total of 33 without sedation, including on elderly patients who want that. i was nervous about the procedure, but i am more concerned about my cognitive decline. that's what gave me the motivation to go without sedation.

i also found this report:WOMEN AT SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER RISK FOR CONGITIVE
AND FUNCTIONAL DECLINE AFTER SURGERY/GENERAL
ANESTHESIA
https://www.alz.org/aaic/_downloads/tue ... n-risk.pdf
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Deep bow, Pro. Well done!