Metformin

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Metformin

Post by hill dweller »

Profile piece on Nir Barzilai and American Federation forAging Research's metformin study
https://www.wired.com/story/this-pill-p ... kel-a-pop/
John
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Metformin

Post by John »

...if you don't mind permanent nerve damage from Metformin's blocking of B12 uptake, then this is your longevity drug of choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Metformin

Post by Stavia »

John wrote:...if you don't mind permanent nerve damage from Metformin's blocking of B12 uptake, then this is your longevity drug of choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Metformin does reduce B12 absorption. Any doctor prescribing it should know this and discuss with the patient monitoring B12 levels and/or supplementing which will completely negate this risk.
It is not necessary to be alarmist about a very useful medication for many people with type 2 diabetes and PCOS.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, john! I'd love to see the reference for your claim. We recently spoke about a paper that suggested metformin is associated with a higher incidence of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's in T2D. Lots of mixed info on this topic :?.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Stavia, I'd be interested if you know of any science to suggest that a former PCOS patient, once menopausal, should stay on Metformin. I used to take it for PCOS. Once I went off gluten and Metformin simultaneously, after reading that gluten can cause PCOS symptoms, my ammenorhea resolved immediately. I never went back on Metformin, but I've wondered if I should based on the earlier dx of PCOS.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Circ, once the insulin resistance is sorted, I cannot see any reason for staying on metformin in your case.

Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

John, I see you are identified as a new user, and I echo Juliegee's welcome to you! I wonder if you have seen the Primer (here is a link:viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 or you can access it by clicking WELCOME at the top, and looking for the link in the second paragraph). It was written by a physician member, and has a great deal of useful information. You have found a very active and supportive forum, and I hope that you will participate often in the future!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Stavia wrote:Circ, once the insulin resistance is sorted, I cannot see any reason for staying on metformin in your case.

Thanks for that Stavia! Just gotta be sure now that I'm in the clear for insulin resistance. My new belly fat says no while biomarkers, normally good, are due for an update.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Omnivalent
New User
New User

Post by Omnivalent »

Biological and biophysics aspects of metformin-induced effects: cortex mitochondrial dysfunction and promotion of toxic amyloid pre-fibrillar aggregates.

The
onset of Alzheimer disease (AD) is influenced by several risk factors comprising diabetes. Within this context, antidiabetic drugs, including metformin, are investigated for their effect on AD. We report that in the C57B6/J mice, metformin is delivered to the brain where activates AMP-activated kinase (AMPK), its molecular target. This drug affects the levels of β-secretase (BACE1) and β-amyloid precursor protein (APP), promoting processing and aggregation of β-amyloid (Aβ), mainly in the cortex region. Moreover, metformin induces mitochondrial dysfunction and cell death by affecting the level and conformation of Translocase of the Outer Membrane 40 (TOM40), voltage-dependent anion-selective channels 1 (VDAC1) and hexokinase I (HKI), proteins involved in mitochondrial transport of molecules, including Aβ. By using biophysical techniques we found that metformin is able to directly interact with Aβ influencing its aggregation kinetics and features. These findings indicate that metformin induces different adverse effects, leading to an overall increase of the risk of AD onset.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Welcome to the forum Omnivalent & thanks for including a study about the amyloid & mitochrondrial effects of metformin. Can you include the link where you found such study?