Metformin

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Metformin

Post by Julie G »

I echo Katie's welcome, Omnivalent :D. Good find. This adds to a growing body of work implicating the mitochondrial impairment caused by metformin as contributing to AD. And, as we all know, E4 carriers already have down-regulated mitochondria...
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Omnivalent, welcome! Thank you for jumping right in and posting your study. We are so glad to have participation from members. Mitochondria figures greatly into many discussions on this forum, as I'm sure you'll see as you explore. If you haven't seen it already, let me point you to our Primer. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 (You can also access it under "Welcome" in the second paragraph.) It was written by Stavia, a physician member, and has a huge amount of information. You can post any questions you have, in any of the forums, and someone will likely have an answer. We are so glad you have joined us.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Xabi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xabi »

Welcome, Omnivalent
I consider it very risky to publish categorical statements without providing a scientific study to support it. I am taking 1000 mg daily of Metformin Could you include the link of the study? please
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

I think this might be the study Omnivalent was referring to:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27509335

Biological and biophysics aspects of metformin-induced effects: cortex mitochondrial dysfunction and promotion of toxic amyloid pre-fibrillar aggregates.

Picone P1, Vilasi S2, Librizzi F2, Contardi M2,3, Nuzzo D1, Caruana L1, Baldassano S4, Amato A4, Mulè F4, San Biagio PL2, Giacomazza D2, Di Carlo M1.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

hmmm...are results in C57B6/J mice, whatever they are, able to be extrapolated to hunans?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Xabi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xabi »

Good question Stavia.
There are so many variables in a study that could modify the results. Ideal would be to have several studies that reached the same conclusion. I am astounded to know the final results of the Nir Barzilai study
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Metformin

Post by jolicoeur »

For your info, I was personally on metformin and got B12 deficient, not even low levels!!!

Stavia wrote:
John wrote:...if you don't mind permanent nerve damage from Metformin's blocking of B12 uptake, then this is your longevity drug of choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Metformin does reduce B12 absorption. Any doctor prescribing it should know this and discuss with the patient monitoring B12 levels and/or supplementing which will completely negate this risk.
It is not necessary to be alarmist about a very useful medication for many people with type 2 diabetes and PCOS.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

wow Jolicoeur - good it was picked up and treated.
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Yesss! I have sometimes 'backflash' of what she said then. i was living in Belgium ( for work) and saw this doctor.
She made extensive testings, prescribed exercise and a diet change and even mentioned that the statin I was taking was criminal. Sometimes it takes something like that to talk to yourself and say 'Wait a minute, I'm missing something important here' :o . It was a strong message and 2 years later, I took a year off to change it all.
This 'rupture' with what 'had been' needs sometimes to be done. Everyone is different of course.
For me, it was one of the best decision of my life. :D
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)