Teleconference on June 13th featuring Dr. Reisa Sperling

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Teleconference on June 13th featuring Dr. Reisa Sperling

Post by Julie G »

"I absolutely believe Alzheimer's Disease is preventable," says Dr. Reisa Sperling of Harvard Medical School. Words we love to hear :D Join me in a teleconference with her hosted by Us Against Alzheimer's on June 13th, from 1-2PM, EST. Register here: http://www.usagainstalzheimers.org/alzh ... -to-attend

Dr. Sperling is leading a study into a new drug treatment that could prevent memory loss before symptoms show called the Anti-Amyloid Treatment in Asymptomatic Alzheimer's (A4 for short) study which targets amyloid, a protein that builds up in the brain and that some researchers believe leads to memory loss. One thousand men and women are needed to participate in this three-year study, which has over 60 site locations.

This study aims to understand how to slow or stop memory loss before symptoms show – a stepping stone to preventing Alzheimer's.

If you can't make it, I'll post notes and a transcript as soon as it's available.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Teleconference on June 13th featuring Dr. Reisa Sperling

Post by Welcomeaboard »

your link has a problem or i have a link problem, thanks
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Sorry, WA. You may have to join Us Against Alzheimer's to get access. http://www.usagainstalzheimers.org/spla ... e-movement

Their site also seems to be having technical issues :?
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

Thank you for posting notes! I won't be able to attend because I'm spending the day with my sister-in-law, trying to work on the "strong social network" aspect of AD prevention. :)
4/4
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Just signed up for it. Confirmation page said they would call at phone number given at time of call or to dial in with code given. Now to remember it ! :D

Sandra Z

Ps the question I asked them about is, if there are any studies planned for younger (asymptomatic) APOE4's to see what diet and lifestyle is preventative for AD.
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Here's the transcript and audio from Dr. Sperling's talk about the A4 Study. I look forward to listening later on today while doing the dishes ;)

http://www.usagainstalzheimersnetwork.o ... mers-talks
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Julie, not to spill the beans before you listen, but I had the pleasure of hearing this on the 13th. I have been continually impressed as I listen to these researchers, they have such compassion for everyone who is suffering and answer all questions simple and complex with grace. Makes me really feel like they care, gives me hope and not at all what I thought of, when I thought of researchers.

One thing I heard was that the reason they are using the higher age for this A4 study is because when one is studying amyloid buildup the risk of AB increases with age. 1 in 10, 60-65 has amyloid plaque buildup, Sperling said.

In response to a question regarding what can we do if we are outside of study range, she pointed to Alzheimer Prevention registry and the Diane study (? I am not familiar with this) if you are in your early 50's. She also indicated there would be more studies for younger folk next(read us).

All in all, I encourage you to listen to these as they have made me feel connected to research and give me hope, even if I don't participate right now. :)
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

I listened to the lecture and here is what I got out of it. The drug is binding to the abeta42 to clear the plaque. They are trying to see if the plaque is cleared and does not stack up that that will prevent brain damage.

Well hello, that is what I have been saying with Vitamin D3 and Turmeric as they bind to the abeta 42 and clear the plaque. Basically we, that take these have been running our own clinical trial, self funded. We are trying to use this to clear the plaque and make sure it does not stack up. Since there is no drug approved or available, this becomes the only way.

Also, she mentioned that older participants and African Americans and Latino's are at the highest risk. However, she did not say whether they would be running 25hydroxy Vitamin D3 tests on them and they are the group that are at most risk to have low Vitamin D3 25hydroxy numbers.

Perhaps, someone should send this to her and get her reply. thanks
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

I have not listened to this one yet because I got distracted by the podcasts. I had to laugh a little during one of them: After taking listener questions, the host commented that, while he knew there would be intelligent questions, he had no idea they would be at such a high level. I immediately thought of this group and wondered what he would make of the discussions here!

Anyway, thank you for the link!
4/4