an E4/E4 brain CAN recover

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
marty
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: an E4/E4 brain CAN recover

Post by marty »

You're a gift to all of us.

I admire your spunk. Giving up is always, always the last resort.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: an E4/E4 brain CAN recover

Post by Stavia »

marty wrote:You're a gift to all of us.

I admire your spunk. Giving up is always, always the last resort.
Marty the neurologists were adamant that recovery wasn't possible and the global damage was permanent. This was 11ish years ago. The only initial intervention was exercise and an awful lot of world of warcraft. I had to lie about the latter because the concussion team was adamant it was harmful. Multi-sensory input - horrors!! Evil!!

So....the science, body of evidence and the experts a decade ago were completely wrong in my case and I was just lucky enough to stumble blindly into neuroplasticity before it was a thing. This is one reason I'm not fixated on any one current AD or even CVD theory that is presently popular. Yes I have to work every day within the current paradigms and do so, but I believe many of them are possibility completely wrong.
marty
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by marty »

Stavia wrote: Marty the neurologists were adamant that recovery wasn't possible and the global damage was permanent. This was 11ish years ago. The only initial intervention was exercise and an awful lot of world of warcraft. I had to lie about the latter because the concussion team was adamant it was harmful. Multi-sensory input - horrors!! Evil!!

So....the science, body of evidence and the experts a decade ago were completely wrong in my case and I was just lucky enough to stumble blindly into neuroplasticity before it was a thing. This is one reason I'm not fixated on any one current AD or even CVD theory that is presently popular. Yes I have to work every day within the current paradigms and do so, but I believe many of them are possibility completely wrong.
As a young pup in training at the University of Michigan, my senior mentor had a collage of cards and photos on the wall behind his desk from about 40 years in his practice of pediatric neurology. They were from the parents of kids he thought would never have meaningful cognitive abilities. The cards and pictures were of them graduating from high school or college or at their weddings.

To be fair, he was almost always right. Almost.

In the end, it is our life to decide what we want to do. It is foolish to not listen to advice, the best we can get before we choose. But it is our course.
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

You are amazing! And quite the success story.

As you know, this has been an adjustment for me.
My 4/4-status-discovery-funk was further enhanced by finding out about the "secret" dementia in my grandparents. Arg.
Add that to the fact that I have had 3 concussions, 1 with 48-72 hours of amnesia, I was worried.
Now, I feel self-pitying. LOL

Thanks for sharing.
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Stavia wrote:Russ, I have tried ketosis as an experiment for the past month, didn't notice any cognitive difference but I'm almost completely recovered now. About to experiment either with James or Gilgameshs regimes.
And thanks guys for your comments :)
I've just reread this thread.
I see I thought in 2014 that I wasn't sharper in ketosis. I think I was still insulin resistant then. Now 3 years later, much thinner and insulin sensitive, I can emphatically say I think better and can sustain high-level cognitive work for longer when I am in ketosis. I only need to be about 0.5mmol/l.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

ZenGinner wrote:You are amazing! And quite the success story.

My 4/4-status-discovery-funk was further enhanced by finding out about the "secret" dementia in my grandparents. Arg.
Add that to the fact that I have had 3 concussions, 1 with 48-72 hours of amnesia, I was worried.

Thanks for sharing.
ZenGinner - its been a huge adjustment for all of us. I completely understand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
mimik67
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mimik67 »

Stavia

It is so important that you share your story and I am very grateful you have! Thank you! We are lucky to have you here in the forum.
3,4 but no family history of Altzheimers. However, mother likely had CIRS
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vermillion »

ZenGinner wrote:You are amazing! And quite the success story.

Thanks for sharing.
Zen, I understand and please don't beat yourself up for your feelings. Self Pity is normal, just dont move into its house.

Here is a little of what I know. My niece and her husband started a foundation called OneHitAway for athletes who have had concussions and TBI, it is designed to help them get into protocols and treatment for healing. The foundation provides referrals and funds. These protocols include brain scans, nutrition, HBOT, exercise, supplementation, chiropractic neurology, and traditional medicine.

Most of the doctors they work with cross over into dementia/AD work, though some are sports related neurologists. We often talk about the success stories and the remarkable healing that happens. My own grand nephew was unable to function for several weeks following a second-hit concussion playing football in college; he could not stay in school, and he was told he would suffer migraines, memory lapses, and light and sound sensitivity for the rest of his life.

My niece said oh hell no, he will not!! And that is how it started. She is now the one who holds the light for others, and we DO see healing, vast improvement, and return to functionality. My grand nephew is now working in IT sales, he is functioning normally, though does have to take care of his brain and will always now eat, supplement, exercise, and goof off differently.

Healing is possible! And it is not always a straight line. Sometimes its more like last season's tangled christmas lights. Messy and a lot of work and the bulbs fall out sometimes.

My mother had to have at least one APOE4, (I am 4/4) and she passed at 98 with no signs of dementia at all. She started reading prevention magazine when it was printed on papyrus and did everything she could to stay healthy, including walking a mile day until she was 92 and had a fall. She took supplements and always told us to drink a lot of water, which was like religion to her.... The only "medication" she was on was baby aspirin for high blood pressure. She had high cholesterol too but they did not put her on statins.

I could go on, but its all here for us, at the end of our forks, or here in this forum. We can build better brains and we can help each other, too. (((hugs)))
Last edited by vermillion on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Wow! Just wow! So inspiring!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Post by progranulindefect »

stavia, what is your exercise routine like now? how do you protect against exercise-related injuries?