Blood Work....In Spanish but easy to read...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Blood Work....In Spanish but easy to read...

Post by vermillion »

Hello all!

I recently introduced myself in Our Stories. I am 58, recently found out that I am 4/4, and while I live a fairly healthy lifestyle and gratefully am able to eat healthy organic food most of the time, of course I am worried and want to map the road ahead a little better.

I am preparing to get another round of bloodwork in a month or so.

I am attaching my most recent set, from May.

I do know about the high cholesterol, but it is down from TC of 399 so I feel its a blue ribbon there. Still working on it, most recently focusing on reducing sugars, upping Omega-3, and exercise of course. I hope the downward trend continues, I am not on statins or any other kind of medication.

To my eye, the spanish is pretty much equivalent to the english names, so I hope you don't mine having a look.
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 12.29.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 12.29.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 12.29.50 PM.png
I would like to know what else I MUST ask for when I order my next set.
How it works here is you just go to the lab and ask for what you want. But I am not sure if I can get some of the more sophisticated things here without traveling to a bigger city, which I can do later in the year.

I have tried to make my own lists and determinations of what is needed, but honestly, the analysis paralysis is setting in and I sure could use someone to hold the flashlight here.

Many, many thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Blood Work....In Spanish but easy to read...

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for sharing vermillion. I'm proud of you for doing baseline testing. It would be great to have a fasting glucose, insulin and hbA1c, vitamin D, and homocysteine for your next round of testing. To the extent that lipids matter and I suspect that they do with multiple sources finding correlations with midlife dyslipidemia and later Alzheimer's; you may want to do some tweaking of your ratios. By using a cholesterol ratio calculator, you can see where you currently stand. What is your BMI and BP? Can you fast? What is your current diet?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

vermillion wrote:Hello all!
What stands out for me is your triglycerides are too high and HDL too low.

Maybe ditch the fruit and any processed carbs, moderate, but don't eliminate starchy carbs, eat protein, even fish fairly sparingly, add some olive oil. This may make the labs better.
Tincup
E3,E4
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vermillion »

Juliegee wrote:Thanks for sharing vermillion. I'm proud of you for doing baseline testing. It would be great to have a fasting glucose, insulin and hbA1c, vitamin D, and homocysteine for your next round of testing. To the extent that lipids matter and I suspect that they do with multiple sources finding correlations with midlife dyslipidemia and later Alzheimer's; you may want to do some tweaking of your ratios. By using a cholesterol ratio calculator, you can see where you currently stand. What is your BMI and BP? Can you fast? What is your current diet?
Thank you! I will have my husband ask the lab about those other tests, my Spanish is not quite at that level.

I definitely want to keep tweaking my rations, but getting to 279 from 399 was quite exciting.
I have added more exercise, eliminated most terrestrial products and bread in the home, and cut down on fruit in favor of things like celery and parsley in the smoothies, which we love in the morning.

I think my diet is pretty good. Breakfast is organic eggs with avocado, small piece of grain/seed toast with no fat or sugar, or fat/sugar free yogurt with nut-heavy granola I make myself, a dash of honey, not much, some blueberries or red berries in season. Or, we have steel cut oats with nuts and cinnamon.... eggs scrambled with vegetables, stuff like that. Or a smoothie with fruit, protein, yogurt, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, plant based protein powder, no juice.

Lunch and dinner are usually either a big salad with vegetables and nuts, and one or the other (dinner or lunch) has fish or lean protein. We can get pastured everything here. Sometimes we have soup, sauteed spinach, etc. I feel like I eat my weight in fish every month, frankly. Occasionally we have goat cheese or parmesan on the salad (in a blue moon blue chees crumbles, just a couple tablespoons), and sometimes I make a coconut pretend ice cream with berries and a few tablespoons of coconut milk.

The bad stuff we do is, the taco truck once or twice a month. But we do chose the lean meat (as if that matters, its a taco truck), a glass or wine with dinner, and when we eat out, if there is bread on the table, I do eat a piece or two, and we will share a dessert.

I think we snack too much on things like dates and cranberries, or maybe those apples with peanut butter are adding up to too much sugar. Im trying to switch out nuts for dried fruits. Every couple months we will share a little pizza or pasta dish, but honestly that is pretty rare. For what I eat I should be thinner, I think....things are adding up, the "occasional this and that" do add up!!!

My BMI is 23, but my waist sure isn't 27 and I read that is a better goal than just BMI. darnit.
BP is normal, I test that at home, all good there. 120/80, never had an issue there.

Husband does at least an hour of cardio a day. I do not, I do exercise on the treadmill or rower 3-5 times a week, and we have to walk a km to get to the gym. Walking in town is always uphill and I often get my 10K steps easily, lots of it at an incline.

I will check out that calculator!
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vermillion »

GeorgeN wrote:

Maybe ditch the fruit and any processed carbs, moderate, but don't eliminate starchy carbs, eat protein, even fish fairly sparingly, add some olive oil. This may make the labs better.
Yes, this is my worry too....I pretty much only use olive oil, or coconut if it goes with what I am fixing....I see from what I am reading and even my body that as well as I eat, something is out of whack, I need more fat burning and sugar in the form of fruit is probably the culprit. We get such good fruit here....darn.

Thank you George! Its great to have people here to keep me honest.
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vermillion »

GeorgeN wrote:

Yes, this is my worry too....I pretty much only use olive oil, or coconut if it goes with what I am fixing....I see from what I am reading and even my body that as well as I eat, something is out of whack, I need more fat burning and sugar in the form of fruit is probably the culprit. We get such good fruit here....darn.

Thank you George! Its great to have people here to keep me honest.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

vermillion wrote: Yes, this is my worry too....I pretty much only use olive oil, or coconut if it goes with what I am fixing..
Dr. Gundry has observed that coconut oil will spike Tg's & lipids in E4's. We asked him about MCT oil in our latest consult a week ago.
T: Okay. And have you concluded about MCT Oil, is it okay for ApoE4s yet?

Dr G: So it’s not a true saturated fat, it’s a medium chain triglyceride, BUT, I can tell you that people who I test, including myself, who go right up until the time of the blood test taking MCT oil, have elevated triglycerides and elevated small dense LDLs. So it would be way down on my list of good stuff for Apoe4s.
He'd previously talked to us about coconut oil being negative for E4's (this has changed over time as he's seen more data from 4's- he used to be OK with it). FYI we will post a transcript of this consult soon, along with redacted labs. Our previous consults are all linked here. The format of our consultations is to go through both of our labs, then ask more general questions.
Tincup
E3,E4
vermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vermillion »

GeorgeN wrote:
vermillion wrote: Yes, this is my worry too....I pretty much only use olive oil, or coconut if it goes with what I am fixing..
Dr. Gundry has observed that coconut oil will spike Tg's & lipids in E4's. We asked him about MCT oil in our latest consult a week ago.
T: Okay. And have you concluded about MCT Oil, is it okay for ApoE4s yet?

Dr G: So it’s not a true saturated fat, it’s a medium chain triglyceride, BUT, I can tell you that people who I test, including myself, who go right up until the time of the blood test taking MCT oil, have elevated triglycerides and elevated small dense LDLs. So it would be way down on my list of good stuff for Apoe4s.
He'd previously talked to us about coconut oil being negative for E4's (this has changed over time as he's seen more data from 4's- he used to be OK with it). FYI we will post a transcript of this consult soon, along with redacted labs. Our previous consults are all linked here. The format of our consultations is to go through both of our labs, then ask more general questions.
Oh, yes, your transcripts are on my reading list. I am actually pretty conservative with coconut oil, I know people supplement with it, I do not tend to, I think I will be more careful now. And pardon the fog, but is he saying the same about MCT. (I have never seen that here, I am in olive oil land....) THANK YOU!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

vermillion, just think about how long it took you to get to the point where you had "bad" labs - for me, a good number of my adult years! And compare it to a short time where you've changed and seen improvements. Just find places to cut out the sneaky sugars, like the dried fruits, and try to get some exercise everyday, and I'm guessing you'll see more improvements.

You're headed in the right direction, so keep up the good fight!
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

What Susan said... it is daunting, and whether you go all in or take your time, the results are tangible. My results because of my early (52 years of em) lifestyle decisions caused some damage, but I realize I can now stop any further progression, maybe even reverse some of it. Point being I am healthier than ever, I am optimistic for our futures, and I continue to tweak to improve my knowledge and my health. If you care to you can read about my journey here:

https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... ilit=ru442

Keep up the work....

RU
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"