Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Tincup »

In this post and those that follows are a transcript of our 5th consultation with Dr. Gundry. Links to the other 4 are here. This link has a compilation of links to Gundry, Bredesen & Wahls interviews & etc. in addition to our previous transcripts & labs. In addition to discussing our labs, we have over twenty minutes of more general questions (which is true for our other consultations also). As the site has a limit of 3 files per post, our uploads will continue on the next two posts.

Most recent food lists.

Consultation transcript:
17_08_13 Consult with Dr Gundry Redacted.pdf
Our diet and supplements and other notes:
G T supps diet other notes 20170812.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tincup on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Male labs transcript here

Veridia was formerly Singulex
Veridia M redacted 7-17 compress.pdf
True Health M redacted 7-17 compress.pdf
Vibrant M redacted 7-17 compress.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tincup on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Female labs, transcript here
Veridia F redacted 7-17 compress.pdf
True Health F redacted 7-17 compress.pdf
Vibrant F redacted 7-17 compress.pdf
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Post was mistakenly duplicated while editing and is here

A mod can delete if you want.
Tincup
E3,E4
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Tincup wrote:Most recent food lists.
I noticed on the list that oats are forbidden and he has a comment (cannot pressure cook). However, I make my steel cut oats in a pressure cooker, so wonder where that falls?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Ski wrote:
Tincup wrote:Most recent food lists.
I noticed on the list that oats are forbidden and he has a comment (cannot pressure cook). However, I make my steel cut oats in a pressure cooker, so wonder where that falls?
Ski, I'm sure it is how sensitive you are . He always tells us to "get your numbers in line & see what you can get away with." Numbers would be like TNF-alpha and other measures of inflammation. Here is a story from the book.
Gundry wrote:Taming the Relish Jane Y., a fifty-year-old nurse who lives in the Pacific Northwest, had been troubled by intractable migraines for most of her life. She had run the gamut of treatment options without success. Jane sought me out after hearing of my successes with other migraine sufferers, including myself— I know from personal experience how awful migraines can be. She immediately started the Plant Paradox Program and within days her migraines abated. She was delighted, but after a few months she visited to discuss a dilemma. One of Jane’s passions is canning (and eating) a zucchini and tomato relish she makes with the vegetables in her garden. With both fruits now off limits and canning time fast approaching, she was in a quandary. I suggested that we do a lectin challenge: she should can half of her relish using her traditional canning method, and the other half using a pressure cooker. Jane returned home delighted, and a few weeks later she called me. Not surprising, within a few minutes of eating her regular canned relish, wham, a migraine struck. But the next day, when she gingerly tasted her pressure-cooked relish, nothing happened. She ate some more, and, again, nothing. Jane was back in business with her relish! Thanks to her lectin sensitivity, she has gone on to become one of my most cherished lectin testers. Despite her best efforts with pressure cooking wheat, oats, rye, and barley for an hour (that is a long time in a pressure cooker), she still gets migraines from these grains.

Gundry, Steven R., M.D.. The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain (pp. 224-225). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.
He talks a lot about patients who are "canaries" or who react almost instantly (of which he is one). I think he mentions it in this Mercola interview.

Here is a quote from p 9 of the interview transcript
SG wrote: This happens. Vitamin D is essential to tell the stem cells at the bottom of the crypts in the
villi to grow and divide. Without vitamin D stimulating them, they just sit there and they don’t
repair the gut. I think plants are so intelligent it’s shocking. I think one of the plant strategies is
that if you have low vitamin D, because you can’t absorb it, then you can’t repair your gut.
You’re a horrible predator. You won’t reproduce. You won’t walk. You’ll go away. Vitamin D is
really one of the keys to autoimmune disease.

Lectins are the other key. I’ve been blessed by knowing hundreds and thousands of autoimmune
patients who I call “canaries,” because they react almost instantaneously to lectins. It’s
interesting. Everybody has their own certain lectin or lectins that they really react to.
It’s interesting. This morning I had a woman who has rheumatoid arthritis. Her rheumatoid
markers or anti-CCP3 markers have gone up. Her IL-17 had gone up. I said, “Alright. What are
you doing? What’s going on?” She said, “No, no. I’m perfect. I know your list backwards and
forwards.” I said, “No. There’s something.”

She said, “You know, it’s funny you should mention that because we got your book and my son
said, ‘Hey, mom. You know you’re not allowed to have almonds with peels on them, because the
peel has a lectin.’” She said, “What? I’ve been eating almonds right and left.” I said, “Your son’s
right. You can’t have almonds.” I had another woman who was going on a cashew binge. Her
markers came up and she had forgotten that cashews were an American bean.

JM: A relative of poison ivy.

SG: Exactly right. You really want to chew on poison ivy? I think not. Cashew pickers get
horrible burns on their hands, just like pepper pickers do. These plants have an amazing defense
system. What I found is that through molecular mimicry, we attack ourselves. Once you remove
that trigger and you seal your gut, things get better.

I see lots of people who had been on various autoimmune protocols and gut healing protocols. I
think what the difference is – that my patients have taught me – is that if you’re out on a boat and
you’re taking in water because you have holes in the bottom of the boat, you can bail water all
you want. You’ll keep the water out of the boat. But if the holes keep occurring, you’re going to
need a bigger and bigger bucket. I think most of the anti-inflammatory programs and
autoimmune programs are just giving people bigger buckets. But I think it’s easier to seal the
holes. Then water won’t come in.

I’m convinced, and others are convinced that lectins and some of the seven deadly disruptors are
making the holes. Let’s get the hole makers out of them, give some vitamin D and let them heal
their gut.
Tincup
E3,E4
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Thanks...makes sense.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

When I learned from Dr. G that pressure cooking would take care of the lectins, before he decided it doesn't always, I started pressure cooking oats. I love oats! But I just didn't feeling right in my gut and was suspecting that maybe the pressure cooker wasn't working, and I cooked them a long time. Later he announced we couldn't pressure cook oats and expect the lectins to be nullified. The only thing I wonder is whether there's a difference between a stovetop pressure cook and an electric one. The stove tops stay at the highest pressure. The Instant Pot doesn't, it gets there and then goes down. I wonder if it would work better using a stovetop pressure cooker. I'm not going to bother though, too much hassle to watch it on the stove.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
AKA
Support Team
Support Team

Post by AKA »

Thank you for all of this info Tincup. I'm fairly new to the forum. I learned of my e4 status after a SPECT scan July 2017 at the Amen Clinics and subsequent f/u with a FM NP and new DO. It has rocked my world to say the least. Since my new learning, I've been hot on the "change my diet and lifestyle" trail. Your post references the main docs I've been researching and I'm thrilled that you have put this package of information together. I think this site and all the folks on it are amazing, selfless, diligent and offer great hope! I will at some point put my n=1 stats in the mix, but for now I'm fasting, eating primarily greens and veggies and shooting for the 'good' fats and trying to get that daily dose of exercise in. I have followed Dr Caldwell Esselstyn for years as I'm from Cleveland and was a cardiac nurse in my past life, so the animal fat argument resonates with me. I go to a f/u appoint mid Sept to get all my lab results so I will be tracking them along with what you have offered in your post. Many thanks again, AKA (Andrea)
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Welcome AKA. Feel free to share your story in the intro section. Your nursing experience will assist your understanding with the lifestyle transitions. Have you had a chance to read Stavia's primer? We are keenly interested in how the Amen Clinic worked out for you.