Bioelectronics

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Bioelectronics

Post by SusanJ »

Holy Fantastic Voyage...

Came across this in one of my RA feeds.

Can the Nervous System Be Hacked?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/magaz ... acked.html
A neurosurgeon, and also Feinstein Institute’s president, Tracey had spent more than a decade searching for a link between nerves and the immune system. His work led him to hypothesize that stimulating the vagus nerve with electricity would alleviate harmful inflammation.

In September 2011, SetPoint Medical began the world’s first clinical trial to treat rheumatoid-arthritis patients with an implantable nerve stimulator based on Tracey’s discoveries. According to Ralph Zitnik, SetPoint’s chief medical officer, of the 18 patients currently enrolled in the ongoing trial, two-thirds have improved. And some of them were feeling little or no pain just weeks after receiving the implant; the swelling in their joints has disappeared.
GSK is investing in the company. GSK has kickstarted a $50M effort in funding bioelectronics so they don't think he's a quack. And a quick search shows more stuff coming out of bioelectronics.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/articl ... 504171.php
So Poon "is solving a major engineering problem," he said, suggesting that the work could be turned into a powerful alternative to deep-brain stimulation, in which a medical device sends electrical impulses to parts of the brain to treat disorders such as Parkinson's disease. "This is a real innovation in powering devices inside the body."

Poon believes her invention could someday be designed to influence neurosignals in ways that could treat afflictions such as chronic pain, Alzheimer's and urinary incontinence, all of which signal malfunctions in the central nervous system. The engineer has started a company, Vivonda Medical.
Anyone following bioelectronics?
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bioelectronics

Post by Welcomeaboard »

I am now, What else do you have on the topic?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Nuttin' and that's why I'm asking.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interesting, Susan. It reminded me a little of the Neuronix Trial:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142&p=852#p852

Here's a paper outlining the effect of vagus nerve stimulation on AD patients:
Vagus nerve stimulation in patients with Alzheimer's disease: Additional follow-up results of a pilot study through 1 year
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16965193

There doesn't seem to have been any follow-up since that...unless I can't find it :?
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

This makes me think of the story where a modern automobile was transported back in time 7000 years ago and people had no idea what it was or what to do with it, especially because they forgot to include the key to start the damn thing. Then they decided to send one back 6900 years with a key but no gas. And finally someone said when will the jackasses send the schematics and operations manuals.
So the fun in life is on which side of the timeline you live on.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24858008
This is only the extract, I don't like the fact we can't have free access to all these somehow. :(
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

"In Alzheimer pathology, NE may act as an anti-inflammatory agent on brainstem nuclei." Notice how everything ties into inflammatory process, doesn't seem to matter what the cause is (i.e. environment, diet, metabolic)?