Nattokinase/Lumbrokinase, Niacin and plant sterols/stanols

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Nattokinase/Lumbrokinase, Niacin and plant sterols/stanols

Post by Tincup »

Thx4thegenes wrote:Hmmm, any concerns over the calcium in Ester C?
Interesting - I hadn't paid any attention. I've had afib for over 13 years, it is very well controlled, but I learned it is highly sensitive to extra calcium. I monitor for premature contractions (PAC's & PVC's) with a recording heart rate monitor. Recently noticed they'd increased dramatically. Thought it was because I'd reduced my magnesium intake in half - from 2.4 to 1.2 g/day - I've always controlled my afib with high dose magnesium. Thought the premature contraction increase was due to that and started to increase my mag intake again. Could easily be the calcium - or it could be both calcium increase & mag decrease. Ester C has 100 mg Ca+ / 1000g Vit C. So 2 doses a day is 200 mg Ca+ extra - could be enough to cause me issues.

The Ester C did lower my marginally high Lp(a).

I may switch to sodium ascorbate as I try to get a fair amount of sodium - at least 5 g/day.
Tincup
E3,E4
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Thx4thegenes wrote:Hmmm, any concerns over the calcium in Ester C?
Semi-related question -- What's the consensus on the health benefits vs potential loss of benefits with taking vitamin C daily?

I've read articles where vitamin C + high fat diets seem to increase the potential for stomach cancer, and it seems to interfere with the benefits of exercise (particularly in terms of insulin sensitivity), then it also seems to interfere with the benefits of fasting. On the other hand, it seems like pretty useful stuff via something like a C+Bioflavanoids supplement.

https://examine.com/supplements/vitamin-c/
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hi apod,

I'll let the experts weigh in on your question as I was looking for a way to bring down my Lp(a) levels. As with any supplement, I don't want to cause more harm when I'm trying to treat something else. Sure don't want to end up with stomach cancer while trying to prevent a heart attack or stroke! :shock:

http://knowledgeofhealth.com/something- ... rol-world/

Thx!