Pickles and other beneficial foods...?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Pickles and other beneficial foods...?

Post by sarahb12 »

I just use a pre-boiled brine of 1 teaspoon of salt per cup of water. I break open a Jarrow IBS (l. plantarum) supplement. Then I pour it over the glass jar full of kraut(chopped cabbage) or pickles & let it set on counter for 5 days.
E3/E4
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

This may be a dumb question, but do you want to be drinking the brine (along with eating the cabbage) in the Bubbies?

Just had a couple spoonfuls now. Going to take a little getting used to.... haha
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I don't, but make sure you shake the bottle before serving. Guess it moves the little buggers from the bottom.
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

SusanJ wrote:I don't, but make sure you shake the bottle before serving. Guess it moves the little buggers from the bottom.

Ok good, that was the worst part. And yes I did. Thanks Susan!
betsyflowers
New User
New User

Post by betsyflowers »

Fyi: "We do not consider Bubbies Sauerkraut pasteurized, but we cannot call it raw either. Bubbies Sauerkraut is heated briefly in our bottle wash after being sealed in the jar. This quick process does not eliminate all the cultures, just some of them that are producing the bulk of the carbon dioxide gas at that stage of fermentation." (From Bubbies Website).
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

For those of you who want to go a step further and are avoiding dairy, the brine can be used to make nut cheeses. Miyoko Schinner spent a year learning how to ferment nuts and come up with with some great nut cheeses. I can vouch for her cream cheese and ricotta.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Maureen, thanks for that tidbit. I make nut ricotta often, and would be thrilled to try a nut cheese. Off to research...
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

betsyflowers wrote:Fyi: "We do not consider Bubbies Sauerkraut pasteurized, but we cannot call it raw either. Bubbies Sauerkraut is heated briefly in our bottle wash after being sealed in the jar. This quick process does not eliminate all the cultures, just some of them that are producing the bulk of the carbon dioxide gas at that stage of fermentation." (From Bubbies Website).
Hi Betsyflowers

Thanks for this info. I use to buy this sauerkraut brand. This topic is a world of discoveries.
I would like to take the opportunity to welcome you on the site.
There is a lot of info in the 'welcome/primer' section that we would find very interesting as well.
Again welcome and feel free to ask any questions.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
kayell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kayell »

betsyflowers wrote:Fyi: "We do not consider Bubbies Sauerkraut pasteurized, but we cannot call it raw either. Bubbies Sauerkraut is heated briefly in our bottle wash after being sealed in the jar. This quick process does not eliminate all the cultures, just some of them that are producing the bulk of the carbon dioxide gas at that stage of fermentation." (From Bubbies Website).
It's getting increasingly easy to find fresh, raw fermented foods. There's a stand at the farmer's market in my area (outer DC suburbs) that sells Number One Son's kimchi, pickles and krauts. I also find several brands at the local health food store and at Wegman's (east coast chain). My daughter was able to get good kraut and kimchi at farmer's markets and health food stores in Albuquerque. A lot of these smaller producers have a great variety of tasty treats. Right now in the fridge I have wasabi dills (zingy!), kraut with rye seeds, and daikon kimchi. Asian groceries are also great sources for a variety of kimchis.

For really fresh fermented food, it's a good idea to open them in the sink with a towel/cloth over the top. You know they have piles of good bacteria if they fizz a bit!
E4/E4
betsyflowers
New User
New User

Post by betsyflowers »

I agree Kayell!
I even make my own fermented food, it's fun and easy. I just wanted everyone to know that you don't get the full benefits from Bubbies. It's nice to have a "go to" in the store if you can't get your regular ferments, but I was disappointed to find out this information and wanted to share.