Update and Blood Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
yikes0118
Contributor
Contributor

Update and Blood Results

Post by yikes0118 »

Aloha:-)
Since my last posting I have managed to STOP drinking diet coke. Yay! (This was tough, but I persevered. Still find I desire one. Crazy!)
I took some of the suggestions given on our site and have implemented the following:
- eating two meals a day -- little to no snacking
- fasting 13-14 hours after last meal
- eating very little grains or sprouted breads (less then 2 a week)
- eating small amounts of macadamia nuts and/or walnuts and pumpkin seeds on salads.
- all vegetables for lunch and small portions of fish or chicken and vegetables for dinner -- olive oil and vinegar for dressing
- reduced dairy greatly (having the occasional feta or parmesan on veggies)
- reduced sugar (having a dark chocolate square a couple times a week after dinner)
- taking 10mg melatonin, magnesium, rhodiola & Schisandra as a sleep cocktail (MUCH IMPROVED!)
- wearing the computer readers with amber tinted lenses to minimize Digital Eye Strain caused by harmful blue light emitted from digital screens
- sleeping an average of 7 hours a night now (YAY!!)
- placing one drop of frankincense essential oil (neat) on the back of my neck near the brain stem morning and night
- taking ashwagandha
- taking pantethine for cholesterol support
- oil pulling each morning with coconut oil
- walking 40 minutes a day and lifting light weights
- brain play by: subtracting numbers in my head while exercising & completing sudoku for 15 min to 1/2 hour after journaling
- feeling pooped everyday around 4pm
TURTLE STEPPING!

Supplements I've been taking all along include:
• Vitamin C: 240mg
• Vitamin B12: 1000mcg
• Pantethine: 300mg
• Vitamin D3: 5000IU
• Magnesium Oxide: 400mg
• Anti-Inflammatory Blend: Curcumin & Turmeric Extract: 250mg, Boswellia: 110mg, Black Pepper Extract 5mg

- My internal med doc referred me to a neurologist. Saw the neurologist 10 days ago and he 'gave' me a cognition test which he said I passed. He's ordered a baseline Petscan for 18 Sept; meanwhile, he ordered some of the blood tests I politely requested (ones from your postings and Dr. Bredesen's book). I've an appointment back with internal med later this month to go over labs. This said, I would very much appreciate your eyes, thoughts, recommendations, guidance on my results. I'm willing to tighten up my diet and add or delete supplements but truthfully I need direction. I know any responses, replies or suggestions are simply the indivudual's opinions and not to be considered medical advice.
Refresh: I'm a 57 year old female of Swedish, English and Irish desent. Heart disease/heart attacks/high cholesterol/diabetes in everyone in my family of origin; mother passed of AD at 75 and father passed of heart attack at 65...he was showing signs of dementia. I'm 5'9/168lbs and have a BMI of barely 25.
My labs below are from 29 August 2017.

Thank you and sending my warmest mahalo.

Rebecca
P.S. My May 2017 Vitamin B12 level was 1433? Wonder why it fell almost by half in 3 1/2 months? I'm still taking the same 1000mcg methylcobalamin daily. I'm guessing B vitamin methylation issues. I only have on copy of MTHFR
Hampton Labs Aug 2017.pdf
Hampton Labs Aug 2017.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Update and Blood Results

Post by Jafa »

Turtle stepping indeed! The steps you have taken are IMPRESSIVE in such a short space of time. Well done. Will leave it to the members who are more learned than I to make suggestions. I'm still a relative newbie. By the way what does Frankincense behind the neck do? Help with sleep? So glad you are sleeping better.
yikes0118
Contributor
Contributor

Post by yikes0118 »

Thank you Jafa -- sleeping better IS a huge blessing.
Frankincense essential oil is used to help balance hormones and emotions. I find it helps slow down and deepen my breathing and soften the nervous tension and emotional swings I've been experiencing lately. Sometimes instead of the single drop to the back of the neck I will instead add a couple of drops to sweet almond oil and rub on the bottoms of my feet.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

yikes, track your calories for a while with something like cronometer. Just an idea, but you're only eating 2 meals per day and doing more exercise and working your brain harder. Lack of calories might be leading to the 4 PM crash.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

Hi Yikes. This is very impressive. I note that you eat only vegetables at lunch. What is the glycemic index of these vegetables? Do you also eat some fats (like avocado) or vegetable sources of protein? I ask because I find that a high glycemic index lunch leads me to have glucose crashes around 4pm. This usually feels like being hungry (or hangry ;) ), but sometimes also tired (I know it's not a veggie, but nothing makes me hangry at 4pm like quinoa at lunchtime). Going along with Susan's comment, I have found that on days with lower calorie counts at lunch, afternoon work outs are a bear. Just my own experiences and it might not apply to you.
yikes0118
Contributor
Contributor

Post by yikes0118 »

Great suggestions. Thank you. I've never tracked calories before...and I don't know much about the glycemic index....I'll definiitely check out the chronometer. My lunch stays pretty much the same: two cups of assorted greens (arugula, local nalo greens, spinach or romaine), a celery stalk, two inches of carrot, three inches of cucumber (without skin or seeds), half an avocado, 2 Tbls sliced red onion or scallions, a tsp of some fresh herb: mint, cilantro, dill, basil, a sprinkle of nuts -- raw macadamia or raw walnut and some unsalted pumpkin seeds dressed with organic olive oil and organic apple cider vinegar. Four days a week I'll add either a small portion of wild Hawaiian fish (Opa) or a small can of wild salmon. One to Two days a week I may add in a tiny bit of parmesan or goat cheese. No grains, breads, or pasta.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

I agree with Jafa... "Turtle Stepping Indeed!" You are moving full steam ahead and incorporating some excellent changes into an already remarkable lifestyle. Thinking about why the Vitamin B12 might have dropped so significantly and delving into my past experience as a lab administrator and wondering if one or the other result could just simply be wrong - not unheard of. Will be interesting to hear others responses. You are amazing! Keep up the good work.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Great progress Yikes! Totally proud of you for doing so much in a short time, the results will get better and folks will chime in with tweaks and such. For the diet soda and sugary stuff, you'll find the longer you progress, the less and less sugar you will crave. I did the same thing at first, a dark chocolate square at night (before my 3 hour fast before bed). Now I hardly ever do after 1 1/2 years, just don't have a craving anymore which makes things much easier. Keep doing what your doing, and add in more as you start feeling comfortable with your groove! ;)
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
yikes0118
Contributor
Contributor

Post by yikes0118 »

Warm aloha to you Sara for the encouragement, suggestions and mighty compassion over the past three weeks. <3
Ref B12: you may be right about the lab result being wrong because I was in the 1300's for B12 in October 2016.

ru442, thank you too for sharing your sugar craving experiences. SO helpful to know others struggle with this in the beginning, and that it gets easier with time. I'm not really a 'sugar' person per se, but with the diet revamp I'm feeling like my food choices are raw veggies, steamed veggies or roasted veggies with a small side of fish. I'm noticing my 'poor me' thoughts when my husband eats brown rice, roasted potatoes and couscous with his veggies. Guessing this will ease up with time too.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Yes the first couple months are tough... but you will be able to add in more variety as you get to know your body and your numbers better. I've been able to add some animal protein a couple times a week, eggs, etc. Each of us is different, you'll figure out what you can and can't get away with. Example, for a cheat I tried some of my favorite fried chicken (southern chain...the guys likes spinich ;)). Was delicious, but boy my body hated it... sick as a dog. So you will learn what your heallthy body and mind will allow.

Keep up the good work, we are all rooting for you!

RU

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"