Greger vs. Gundry

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Priv8Man
Contributor
Contributor

Greger vs. Gundry

Post by Priv8Man »

Please don't shoot the messenger! I know a lot of people here follow Dr. Gundry. I also know a lot of people are familiar with Dr Greger. So I thought this might be interesting:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-gun ... -is-wrong/
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Greger vs. Gundry

Post by SusanJ »

Then you have this new book:

The Alzheimer's Solution: A Breakthrough Program to Prevent and Reverse the Symptoms of Cognitive Decline at Every Age by Ayesha Sherzai, MD and Dean Sherzai, MD, directors of the Alzheimer’s Prevention Program at Loma Linda Medical Center. Their data showed that less than 5% of their older patients had dementia (mostly Seventh Day Adventists) compared to communities next door.

In the interview, they say "The best diet for brain health is full of whole foods like greens, legumes, berries, and whole grains and is very low in animal fats, saturated fats, and salt." No surprise since Seventh Day Adventists are typically vegetarians.

https://bluezones.com/2017/09/researche ... able-find/
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Gundry worked at Loma Linda for many years and still has many Adventists for patients. He commented that many were "pastatarians" and the like and they were not healthy.

Gundry isn't against a vegan or near vegan diet, far from it. He would want to focus the vegans differently than many eat.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Gundry worked at Loma Linda for many years and still has many Adventists for patients. He commented that many were "pastatarians" and the like and they were not healthy.

Gundry isn't against a vegan or near vegan diet, far from it. He would want to focus the vegans differently than many eat.
Such a good point, tincup. Since I eat primarily vegetables and have cut even dairy, I've joined several vegan Facebook groups to get new and exciting ways to prepare them. Recipe after recipe includes pasta, bread, corn chips, etc. I've never seen one recipe comprised of 100% vegetables.

Thanks, Priv8Man. I have to steel myself for Greger's voice before I listen :roll:
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

I don't object to Dr Greger's position, evaluation of published studies, or critique of reference usage. I do object to his tone and assumption than MDs don't know anything about nutrition (oh, except for Dr Greger). Can't we play nice? :cry:
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Agree, except I worry the cherry picking could cause a glucose spike ;).
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Is it not possible that any whole foods, unprocessed diet can yield good brain health through one or more different mechanisms? Is there proof that that's not possible? I'm intrigued by the latest study of the Nordic diet that showed it was better yet than the MIND diet, and it included some foods like rice and pears, but I haven't had time to really read and compare.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Greger vs. Gundry

Post by Stavia »

Julie G wrote:Agree, except I worry the cherry picking could cause a glucose spike ;).
ha!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk