Describe your ideal MCT formulation

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Describe your ideal MCT formulation

Post by Tincup »

Brian4 wrote:By the way, is cost the only reason people aren't using exogenous ketones – which presumably don't raise LDL – instead of MCTs?
If I want more ketones, I just fast. I can get much higher levels fasting then reported levels from MCT's or ketone salts or esters (and fasting is free :lol: )
Tincup
E3,E4
Anab
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anab »

Brian4 wrote:Tincup, thanks for the info, and Julie, thanks for checking with Dr. Bredesen.

By the way, is cost the only reason people aren't using exogenous ketones – which presumably don't raise LDL – instead of MCTs?
Are exogenous ketones the product keto os....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Anab wrote:Are exogenous ketones the product keto os....
That would be one example, they have some products with MCT added, some without. There are others. Most commercial products are salts. Another example would be KetoKaNa.
Tincup
E3,E4
Anab
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anab »

Tincup wrote:
Anab wrote:Are exogenous ketones the product keto os....
That would be one example, they have some products with MCT added, some without. There are others. Most commercial products are salts. Another example would be KetoKaNa.
And are those products compliant as a 4.. at least the ones without mct.

Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Anab wrote:And are those products compliant as a 4.. at least the ones without mct.
As far as I know. The issue with E4's is typically saturated fat, which the salts/ester products don't have.
Tincup
E3,E4
Anab
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anab »

Tincup wrote:
Anab wrote:And are those products compliant as a 4.. at least the ones without mct.
As far as I know. The issue with E4's is typically saturated fat, which the salts/ester products don't have.
Thanks very much

Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Tincup wrote:If I want more ketones, I just fast. I can get much higher levels fasting then reported levels from MCT's or ketone salts or esters (and fasting is free :lol: )
Well, you may be a ketone-producing superhero! I aim to be such myself (but I'll need to kick the habit of the higher-carb nuts I currently eat a lot of). As it is, my body is sluggish in getting into serious ketosis.

I actually haven't tested my ketones aside from via (fairly worthless) urine strips. :oops:

Is there any obvious choice of ketone meter that people here use? One of my piggie banks is getting kind of heavy, so I think it's time for me to get serious about ketone testing.
ε4/ε4 (for now).
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Brian, my guess is that you're likely in deeper ketosis than you think. I've been doing more random testing and am getting 3.0s in the middle of the day, just from fasting/exercise. I like my Precision Xtra dual glucose/ketone meter, but I was really excited to learn about the KetoMojo system at our last meet-up. Apparently, it's uber-accurate and the ketone strips are less than a buck each.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote:Brian, my guess is that you're likely in deeper ketosis than you think. I've been doing more random testing and am getting 3.0s in the middle of the day, just from fasting/exercise. I like my Precision Xtra dual glucose/ketone meter, but I was really excited to learn about the KetoMojo system at our last meet-up. Apparently, it's uber-accurate and the ketone strips are less than a buck each.
My wife and I have been using KetoMojo and are happy with it. I also have the Precision Xtra which also works well, however the strips are very expensive in the US ($4-$6/strip). I've bought them on eBay from Australia for $1.20/strip (Abbot sells them for much cheaper elsewhere with a different brand name). The KetoMojo strips are $1.

If you show color on a urine strip, you are making ketones. If you don't show color, then you may or may not be making ketones, especially if you've been keto adapted for a while as the body gets more efficient at using ketones (as you are measuring excess acetoacetate that gets urinated). When I test in the 4-6 mmol/L serum range, my urine will test 80 mg/dL.
Tincup
E3,E4
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

I am now alternating between NOW brand and Left Coast Performance, based solely on price. Left Coast seems to have a very slight dusty taste so I shoot it straight rather than putting it in my coffee. I have also tried the powdered MCT from Quest Nutrition. The advantages of powder are that it's not as messy, you can easily pack it for travel, and -- most important -- no gastric distress. The powder has a mild, pleasant flavor, somewhat similar to powdered coffee creamer. It's a bit difficult to dissolve, so I recommend stirring it into small amount of coffee or cream first, then adding the rest of your coffee. Or you can just eat it dry from the spoon. It's really tasty if mixed with an equal amount of cocoa powder!