Review: HDL and cholesterol handling in the brain.

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Review: HDL and cholesterol handling in the brain.

Post by Gilgamesh »

Welcomeaboard wrote:No on the CR as I can starve myself for free.
And get the years of biomarker tests for free? Where? I'm in!

For people taking CR seriously -- note: it is not starvation! :D

Un abrazo
GB
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Back in November, we talked about Souvenaid before, etc. Not sure if we listed who food equivalents, below is a sample equivalent list that Souvenaid TM Australia had listed on their site:

https://www.souvenaid.com.au/Souvenaid/ ... uvenaid®-/

If you click on each one you get end up with this list:

Souvenaid ™(Australia)
DHA 1200mg 4 cans of tuna
EPA 300mg or 100g of fresh tuna

UMP 625mg 1kg tomatoes
Choline 400mg 100g minced beef
Phospholipids 100mg 4 eggs
Folic Acid 400 iu 1.2 kg broccoli
Vitamin B6 1 mg 710g spinach
Vitamin B12 3iu contained in tuna
Vitamin C 80mg 1 orange
Vitamin E 40 mg contained in tuna
Selenium 60iu handful of brazil nuts

Note this is the equivalent of 28 cans of tuna/week. Yikes! :shock: Interesting, that the recommended dosage is 1 125ml bottle/day taken at the same time, I believe it was about $4/day. Not available in the US, pending more studies.

Also found this in Australian news from 2013,
http://www.theage.com.au/national/drink ... 2k13d.html
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Building on Susan's work...

Extra-virgin olive oil consumption improves the capacity of HDL to mediate cholesterol efflux and increases ABCA1 and ABCG1 expression in human macrophages.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23051557

Knowing that E4 carriers have impaired ability to clear cholesterol, could THIS help explain why EVOO improves cholesterol clearance?

Even more exciting, MUCH.MORE.EXCITING; when we combine EVOO with green tea, in APOE deficient mice, look what happens:

Antiatherogenicity of extra virgin olive oil and its enrichment with green tea polyphenols in the atherosclerotic apolipoprotein-E-deficient mice: enhanced macrophage cholesterol efflux.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17904345
The antiatherogenic properties of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) enriched with green tea polyphenols (GTPPs; hereafter called EVOO-GTPP), in comparison to EVOO, were studied in the atherosclerotic apolipoprotein-E-deficient (E0) mice. E0 mice (eight mice in each group) consumed EVOO or EVOO-GTPP (7 microl/mouse/day, for 2 months) by gavage feeding. The placebo group received only water. At the end of the study, blood samples, peritoneal macrophages and aortas were collected. Consumption of EVOO or EVOO-GTPP resulted in a minimal increase in serum total and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol levels (by 12%) and in serum paraoxonase 1 activity (by 6% and 10%). EVOO-GTPP (but not EVOO) decreased the susceptibility of the mouse serum to AAPH-induced lipid peroxidation (by 18%), as compared to the placebo-treated mice. The major effect of both EVOO and EVOO-GTPP consumption was on HDL-mediated macrophage cholesterol efflux. Consumption of EVOO stimulated cholesterol efflux rate from mouse peritoneal macrophages (MPMs) by 42%, while EVOO-GTPP increased it by as much as 139%, as compared to MPMs from placebo-treated mice. Finally, the atherosclerotic lesion size of mice was significantly reduced by 11% or 20%, after consumption of EVOO or EVOO-GTPP, respectively. We thus conclude that EVOO possesses beneficial antiatherogenic effects, and its enrichment with GTPPs further improved these effects, leading to the attenuation of atherosclerosis development. :D Emphasis mine.
EVOO & Green Tea: The miracle combo for E4 carriers!
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Boom! Green tea instead of coffee and EVOO instead of butter... 'Bulletproof Tea' for E4's. I start in the morning! I could do with a little enhanced cleanup crew right now ;-)
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

'cept coffee has bennies that tea doesn't have, esp. for those at risk for Parkinson's and (to a lesser degree) AD, according to a lot of research. I go for both tea and coffee, but I've cut way, way back on green (actually I switched to white -- even better) tea because of the manganese. Not sure how big a problem it is, but if one is also eating a lot of berries and nuts....
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Hi Russ,
I have still been drinking bullet proof coffee...but don't use the butter. I use the 1TB MCT oil and 2TB grassfed milk instead of all that butter. MCT oil is supposed to not raise LDL. So far it appears to not have changed my LDL. Now that I have gotten my LDLc lower, when I get back from vacation, going to try dropping it for a week or two then retest to see if any changes, either way. But MCT oil sure does an awesome job of getting those ketones going!

I am going to start drinking green tea more for sure too! Thanks Julie for that info. I don't know where/how you find all this stuff!

Sandra z
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Oh no, STOP! Friends don't let friends mix green tea and EVOO- bleh :shock: Hope you were kidding, Russ.

Save your EVOO as a salad dressing or finishing oil for hot veg. I even make various EVOO dips for veg or meat. Sip green tea on the side. I'm addicted to matcha. I drink it at room temp and try to have several glasses a day.

I'm with G- coffee in the AM- great antioxidants for brain health in moderation (it elevates homocysteine.) I'll have to explore white tea. Does it have the same beneficial polyphenols?

Gina, I meant to add yesterday- GREAT detective work on the food equivalent of Souvenaid. The tuna scares me with it's higher mercury content and E4's inability to clear metals. Pacific wild caught sockeye might be a safer choice for us. And, I like the idea of an orange or half grapefruit instead of the juice- too much glucose there.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Sandra, I'm not a coffee drinker, but did do a trial for about 3 months last year doing bulletproof with butter and coconut oil… and I did see my LDL go up, so backed off. Might be interesting to try w MCT only as is plausible would lead to different reaction. I do wonder if the grassfed thing could be key. I haven't tabulated grassfed dairy before, but here a % chart of lipids in grassfed beef muscle I compiled a while ago from Cindy Daley's work at Cal St Chico…
fatty acid profile of grassfed beef.png
Source: http://www.csuchico.edu/grassfedbeef/re ... fits.shtml
MUFA's quite a bit lower, but proportioning of balance may be magic (as it is with n6:n3)?

Julie, I decided to not actually put the olive oil in the tea - not because of 'bleh' - but concern that heat might oxidize. so I just took a tablespoon before I started sipping the tea, to let the mixing happen at lower temp. I do indeed use EVOO as alternate to butter on veggies, and always on salad (where now I also use a healthy amount of guacamole as well).

Agree with your concern on tuna. OK to eat once in a while, but not too much. Might have to develop a taste for sardines ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Juliegee wrote:Save your EVOO as a salad dressing or finishing oil for hot veg.
Or in a shot glass, like the old timers in Italy! Yum! That wonderful burn in the back of the throat from high-polyph. olive oil!

Coffee and homocysteine: Yeah: the follow the biomarkers or the mortality data question. Tricky.
Juliegee wrote:I'll have to explore white tea. Does it have the same beneficial polyphenols?
Same, but far more!

GB
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

More than matcha tea??? If so, you've rocked my world.