HDL helps clear beta-amyloid

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: HDL helps clear beta-amyloid

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks for the advice, Lu.
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Hoping it can help you!

I have so much to learn, I am just in awe of the amazing brains that participate here, and the tremendous amount of knowledge shared on this forum.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Julie, how should we access if our HDL is "functioning" (by a high particle count number, size or maybe both)?
I think that's the million dollar question, Katie. Each advanced lipid panel has their pet way of determining functionality, by both HDL particle number and size, but I question the accuracy (especially of size) given the constant maturation process of an HDL particle. These tests are at most "snapshots" of any given moment rather than true measures of functionality. I found this new cholesterol uptake capacity assay. I'm unsure if it's available yet, but it seems to get to more accurately get to functionality. For now, if you have high HDL-C, but advanced lipid testing shows a low HDL-P and smaller particles, that may be a clue that it's not functioning well. High oxLDL may be another sign of poor functionality. Conversely, if you have low HDL-C, but larger particle with a relatively higher HDL-P and low oxLDL, that may demonstrate functionality. All we really have are clues for now.
Lulu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lulu »

Hi Julie,

I am getting lab work done next week, and I am just wondering, besides the regular total cholesterol, HDL and LDL tests, and trigs, what other tests should I ask for to give me a clearer picture of where I stand regarding my lipid profile?

Thanks!
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

jgilberAZ wrote:Great.

I struggle to get my HDL over 40.

:cry:

I think I saw somewhere that exercise has a strong beneficial effect on HDL.

I've got the diet/supplements/sleep down pretty good.

I had better start focusing more on the exercise, now.
Me too. Struggle to get mine over 30, actually. :(

I've done some research on it over the years. Weight training helps, especially of the big muscles. Doctor had me on slow-release prescription niacin - helped about 12% at 2g/day. (Don't just use the over the counter stuff, especially at this dose). But the benefits of high dose niacin have been called into question. (In some studies while HDL goes up some, there weren't clear outcome benefits.)

I'm waiting on that artificial recombinant HDL A1milano.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Julie G wrote:
Julie, how should we access if our HDL is "functioning" (by a high particle count number, size or maybe both)?
For now, if you have high HDL-C, but advanced lipid testing shows a low number of smaller particles, that may be a clue that it's not functioning well.
When I was on a higher dose statin (20mg) or high potency statin (rousuvastatin) my HDL particle count plummeted over 50% down to 7k. Even the pravastatin 10mg decreases the count ~10% yet still over 11k. Quest does not report HDL size, but on the potent statin ,the LDL size decreased significantly. Obviously, these are not good trends, so I'm reconsidering the statin despite the scary high lp(a). I intend to have another advanced lipid panel in a few months while on higher estrogen patch since estrogen might decrease the lp(a), unlike the statin.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Katie, good for you for acting on the damage to your previously excellent HDL. When it was super high, did you ever do an HDL-P or check your HDL size to see if was supposedly "functional?" I'm hopeful that your Lp(a) is the longevity version that your Mom is enjoying. My Grandmother turns 100 in 30 days. I know your Mom is the same vintage. Let's hope we both inherit the good genes ;).
I am getting lab work done next week, and I am just wondering, besides the regular total cholesterol, HDL and LDL tests, and trigs, what other tests should I ask for to give me a clearer picture of where I stand regarding my lipid profile?
Lulu, unless you're ordering it yourself, ask your doc which advanced lipid test s/he prefers. I used to have a good handle on my favorite, but these companies are constantly being bought and sold and the information they report keeps changing. At a minimum, you want LDL-P, small LDL-P, HDL-P and preferably some indication of HDL size. If you order it yourself online, be sure to look at a sample report before you commit. Does anybody have a recommendation for getting a decent amount of information at a bargain price?
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Julie, yes the HDL particle count went from over 13,000 to ~7,000 while my LDL-C had a more statin-induced low of 57. Meanwhile, I'm on the weakest statin, pravastatin at the lowest dose (10mg) it's hovering 11,157 HDL particle count.

I do hope your GM can celebrate her 100th birthday since it seems like an end goal for my mom.