Omega 3 confusion.

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Thervey
New User
New User

Omega 3 confusion.

Post by Thervey »

I am confused about Omega 3 supplementation. Seems some (Dr. Gundry) recommend it, however, I have read studies stating it is not a good idea for ApoE 4. Thoughts?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Omega 3 confusion.

Post by TheresaB »

If you go to the wiki page, it discusses why Omega-3s are good for ApoE4s

https://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acids
Thervey wrote:I have read studies stating it is not a good idea for ApoE 4.

Could you post these studies for comparison?
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
raj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by raj »

Hello Thervey

welcome to the forum. Just wanted to invite you to the forum primer at this below link

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418 written by Dr Stavia a very senior member of the forum who has put a lot of information together. If you have any questions along the way juts put them on the forum and you will see answers coming from many more senior members and others on the forum. You may also try a search for the specific topic you are looking for from the search function within the three stacked square boxes in the top right hand corner of the page.

Also, if you may please introduce yourself a bit more and you can do so in the "Our Stories " section of the "Board Index" which you will find in the top left hand corner of this page click on the " New Topic" and a box will open up into which you can type in your story and then " Submit" . If you have any questions at all just post them and you will be answered.

welcome to the forum again

raj
Last edited by raj on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

I'm adding my welcome also, Thervey! In addition to the Wiki Theresa pointed out, and the site Primer Raj pointed you to, I'll include a link to a recent thread where different site members weighed in.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3610&hilit=Omega+3

It's always important to look carefully at any personal health aspects needing change. We're glad you found our site, and look forward to learning more about you, should you wish to share.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Thervey, welcome to the site.
Like you already noticed it can be sometime confusing even overwhelming how much of certain supplements to take. One source recommends it, the other says it has no positive effects. It would be ideally to intake everything the body needs from food, but like we know that's not always possible.
When it comes to Omega 3, things get even more complicated because it's main natural source- fish- is also a source of heavy metals like mercury.
I am including here a link to a list of low and high mercury containing fish, maybe you will find it useful, if you eat fish:

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/smart-seafood-buying-guide

Be well,
Magda
Last edited by Magda on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Magda wrote: It would be ideally to intake everything the body needs from food, but like we know that's not always possible.
Just want to quickly note that in this particular case, it actually is possible to get your omega 3's from food most of the time. Throw a can of sardines on your salads, and you won't have to worry about the down sides of omega 3 supplementation or the potential toxic load of big fish. I saw my Omega 3 Index go from poor to excellent in just a few months. When I do supplement with cod liver oil, my purpose is just a little extra immune system boost in winter months, not primary n3 source.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

How often do you eat the sardines, to maintain the index?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I hope Russ weighs in, but I would encourage you to run an N=1, NewRon. Put yourself on a schedule with specific fish intake and check your Omega-3 index after a few weeks. That will help you determine how to tweak. For you, I really like the idea avoiding fish oil and just eating the fish itself to help prevent overly thinning your blood. My guess is that sardines (or some other high Omega-3 source) 4-6 times a week w/o fish oil would likely get your number to the magic 10%. I've only tested once (and because I was also preparing for another test) I was prohibited from eating fish and/or taking the fish oil for a week prior. My level still tested at 10%, but I typically eat fish 4+ times a week and take 1 gram of DHA daily.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Hmmm, trying to get an Omega 3 index might be a problem....I had trouble a few years ago, I think.

I found sardines in EVOO and they're yum!

http://www.planetorganic.com/la-gondola ... 20g/24175/

I love all seafood, esp mussels and oysters and mackeral etc.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Scaredstiff1223
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Scaredstiff1223 »

I thought it was the ratio between the omega 3 and omega 6 that was important, like, 1 to 1 or 2 to 1. I also hope taking the fish oils are not bad for me because my LDL-P is 1754, so I take 6 a day! I’ve never eaten fish. I’ve hated it my entire life. :(