Rs5963409 - hypertension / vascular health

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Rs5963409 - hypertension / vascular health

Post by aphorist »

This SNP is worth looking at more closely. https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs5963409
G is the normal (preferred) variant
A is the abnormal (poorly functioning) variant.

This SNP for the Ornithine Carbamoyltransferase gene is involved in the urea cycle and ultimately creates citrulline (later arginine) for nitric oxide production and removes nitrogen (from protein metabolism waste/byproduct) from the body for excretion.

This gene is X-chromosome linked and therefore males only have 1 copy. It is associated with an increase in hypertension and alzheimer's, but may suggest a lower protein diet is preferred given a (possible) innate reduced ability to clear nitrogen and produce urea.

Supplementation with arginine or citrulline may be warranted.

This gene polymorphism is discussed by Dr. Chris Masterjohn in this presentation linked here:

https://youtu.be/lrhR5fWp5ps?t=20m30s
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Rs5963409 - hypertension / vascular health

Post by SusanJ »

Interesting stuff. Anyone who has been on the forum for a whiles know that we all react differently to diet, and there are a many genetic reasons why. Here's another example.

I'm hetero, which makes sense since my mom had hypertension as did her siblings. Fortunately my BP is low-normal, but snpedia says the elevated risk for AD is the same whether hetero- or homozygous.

But Masterjohn also makes an important point. That FM practitioners tend to look at results of tests and say take this vitamin or supplement, when maybe the approach needs to be, hey, try eating less protein (in this case) and see if you feel better.

Here is his ending slide, which seems like some great advice for all of us, especially since most of us have some forms of enzymatic deficiencies.
Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 8.04.09 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajc
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Rs5963409 - hypertension / vascular health

Post by ajc »

SusanJ wrote:Interesting stuff. Anyone who has been on the forum for a whiles know that we all react differently to diet, and there are a many genetic reasons why. Here's another example.

I'm hetero, which makes sense since my mom had hypertension as did her siblings. Fortunately my BP is low-normal, but snpedia says the elevated risk for AD is the same whether hetero- or homozygous.

But Masterjohn also makes an important point. That FM practitioners tend to look at results of tests and say take this vitamin or supplement, when maybe the approach needs to be, hey, try eating less protein (in this case) and see if you feel better.

Here is his ending slide, which seems like some great advice for all of us, especially since most of us have some forms of enzymatic deficiencies.
Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 8.04.09 AM.png
This situation is the time for OAT or other metabolic testing to see what is happening in the pathways regardless of SMPs

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Rs5963409 - hypertension / vascular health

Post by SusanJ »

ajc wrote:This situation is the time for OAT or other metabolic testing to see what is happening in the pathways regardless of SMPs
Hi ajc, have you done OAT, and if so, where you able to take actionable steps?
ajc
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Rs5963409 - hypertension / vascular health

Post by ajc »

SusanJ wrote:
ajc wrote:This situation is the time for OAT or other metabolic testing to see what is happening in the pathways regardless of SMPs
Hi ajc, have you done OAT, and if so, where you able to take actionable steps?
Yes these tests give an over view of metabolic health above and beyond SNPs. Treating the patients as individuals. Helps in prioritizing treatments

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk