What fish oil / DHA brand do you use?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Wondering
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What fish oil / DHA brand do you use?

Post by Wondering »

I use Carlson Highest Quality Omega 3 Fish Oil, orange flavor. 2 tsps daily. (I actually prefer the lemon flavor, but my son prefers orange, and I am so happy to have him take any that I buy the orange flavored.) I haven't found a pill form that doesn't cause bad flavored burps, but I don't get any burping from the liquid fish oil. I buy the large bottles from Super Supplements or sometimes online, and the price doesn't seem too bad that way.
E3/E4, both parents had LOAD
roerhin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roerhin »

Thanks jolicoeur! I've already read the primer and have been digging into some of the past topics as well. I've purchased the Bresden book, it's sitting patiently on my coffee table, although I haven't yet cracked it (to be fair I have a couple other health ones to get to first!) So many books, so little time;) I'll check out the Perlmutter article. He has a lot of great info.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Thanks to everyone. I am trying to keep the cost somewhat down. I settled on a suggestion by Gundry and bought a higher DHA600+ and lower EPA300+ in a 1400mg coated capsule.
Kathygrz
New User
New User

Post by Kathygrz »

Metagenics OmegaGenics EPA-DHA 720. They have no aftertaste at all.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

No aftertaste is a definite plus. I like Metagenics products.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

I was out reading a bit last night online about DHA and the role it plays with APOE4. I came across a fairly recent article (http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6338661/) that Rhonda Patrick submitted. She states in the abstract: "APOE4 carriers respond well to the DHA present in fish but do not respond as well to dietary supplements".

After reading Bredesen's book, and listening to a bazillion podcasts, I decided to add wild-caught salmon to my plant-based diet (which means I am no longer strictly plant-based, but that's OK, my brain is more important than a label). I also just ordered the Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega ( based on some of the suggestions above (thank you!). I learned that the algae omega I was taking didn't have a fraction of the amount of DHA I need. So, after years of taking Omegas & not eating fish, I have a lot of catching up to do.
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

Jmac wrote:I was out reading a bit last night online about DHA and the role it plays with APOE4. I came across a fairly recent article (http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6338661/) that Rhonda Patrick submitted. She states in the abstract: "APOE4 carriers respond well to the DHA present in fish but do not respond as well to dietary supplements".

After reading Bredesen's book, and listening to a bazillion podcasts, I decided to add wild-caught salmon to my plant-based diet (which means I am no longer strictly plant-based, but that's OK, my brain is more important than a label). I also just ordered the Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega ( based on some of the suggestions above (thank you!). I learned that the algae omega I was taking didn't have a fraction of the amount of DHA I need. So, after years of taking Omegas & not eating fish, I have a lot of catching up to do.
I have stopped taking the supplements and eat wild Salmon once every week or two. I know that the phospholipid form of EPA/DHA is probably a better option for us when it comes to supplementation, however IIRC there was a conversation in one of these threads that seemed to suggest Nordic wasn't entirely clear on the phospholipid content of their products. So I just stick with the real thing. It's been nice lately as Costco has had Wild King Salmon available which makes it more affordable to eat.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jmac wrote:I was out reading a bit last night online about DHA and the role it plays with APOE4. I came across a fairly recent article (http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6338661/) that Rhonda Patrick submitted. She states in the abstract: "APOE4 carriers respond well to the DHA present in fish but do not respond as well to dietary supplements".

Welcome, Jmac, to the ApoE4.Info Forums.
It is great that you are able to respond to what you are learning through "reading Bredesen's book and listening to a bazillion podcasts". That made me laugh, only because I know the feeling so well! There is tremendous/overwhelming amount of information available. Your flexibility in changing your diet to include wild-caught salmon is a real asset, and I appreciate your perspective that your brain is more important than a label.

Since you were responding to an old thread on fish oil/DHA, I am guessing that you already know how to use the Search function (magnifying glass left of your user name) to find previous posts on subjects of interest to you. If that's not how you found the fish oil thread, then you may find that useful. There are other tips on How-To Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website on our WiKi.
The Primer is another very valuable resource, written by a physician member.
If you'd like to tell us more about yourself and what brings you to the website, Our Stories is a good place to post an introduction.
There is a wealth of information (and opinion) on the website as well as a very supportive community. We all learn by member's sharing personal experience and perspective. As you explore the Forums, I hope you'll continue to contribute by posting.
Again, a warm welcome to you!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

Thank you floramaria! I'm looking forward to learning and getting to know others on here! I was just out in the studio working with some clay, listening to podcasts and came across the apoe4.info YouTube channel. Subscribed. I'll pop over to the links you mentioned and add my story when I have time, plus re-look at the others.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Jmac wrote:Thank you floramaria! I'm looking forward to learning and getting to know others on here! I was just out in the studio working with some clay, listening to podcasts and came across the apoe4.info YouTube channel. Subscribed. I'll pop over to the links you mentioned and add my story when I have time, plus re-look at the others.
Great, Jmac! Looking forward to hearing about you when you have the time.
A ceramicist friend of mine who has done some research on this tells me that working with our hands is really great for our brains. You are getting a double-whammy by working with clay as you listen to podcasts!

I work with flowers, hence my username.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health