Updated NMR LipoProfile results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
RBK
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Updated NMR LipoProfile results

Post by RBK »

I travel now with EVOO and coconut/MCT oil too! I'm also experimenting with making some energy/protein type-ish bars that pack a serious nutritional and caloric punch. I'm participating in an overnight relay run in August that is going to basically require me to take with me all of my food for the 32-ish hour event. I've found some good recipe books though and plan to share my favorites with all of you after a bit more work in the kitchen! Very good ideas for anyone who travels or just needs some easy things to grab and go. Kind of exciting. I know… I get excited about these things...
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Julie, I'm about where Sandraz is. I'm uneasy with using it and with not using it pending further research. I'm just a little less uneasy with using it. The long history of medicinal use is a big plus and a major contrast to statins, which are very new. Statins also have well-known negative side effects and a reasonably well understood method of action that I already know I don't like. I guess this is an instance of choosing the devil I don't know over the one I do! :-)

Right now I'm just doing a bunch of stuff in the hope that one or a combination of relatively painless adjustments will bring my lipids back down. If/when they improve, maybe I'll start working with one variable at a time to map effects to plausible specific causes.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

Juliegee wrote:Apologies to James. We're turning your thread into an epic meanderfest ;)

Thanks for weighing in, Spunky. I'm glad you're backing off the high doses of potato starch. In your words, what native population ever ate that way? I agree that a high fiber diet will likely provide plenty of natural RS to get the job done. I'm getting around 25 grams a day on Dr. Perlmutter's diet, but also supplementing with probiotics, sauerkraut, kimchi, unsweetened, live-cultured, grass-fed kefir. Hope that's enough to cultivate a healthy gut.

I was coincidentally chatting with Dr. P today and he is also fascinated by the topic of gut health as it relates to neurological health. He specifically recommended that we use jicama & Jerusalem heart (high in inulin) in our salads as prebiotics and a specialized probiotic, high in nitrogen. I'm ordering it today. Let me know if you'd like a link. He's also publishing a new journal, to be released in the Fall, entitled "Brain and Gut." http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 022014.php

I was surprised to learn Dr. P is a frequent visitor to our site. He quoted Sir Francis Bacon on our homepage during our conversation: "Knowledge is Power." Waves and props to him; I'm eternally grateful for all I've learned :D Spunky, help me understand how I've worsened my condition by his misguided advice...

Still off base

"I was trying to offer support for stopping the potato starch and instead eating a diet high in vegetables; IMO a healthier choice"

and what is the basis of this so called good advice??? Another twisted/distorted statement!! I do not need gratuitous advice please refrain from such remarks as they have no substance to it as just an opinion again done in bad taste covered up with flattering comments with again I take offense to with good reason!
So DrP reads here bla blah blah let him defend this viewpoint or are your words all bluff and puff?
The high fat diet has harmed people here so let's hear how it is supposed to work as you are promoting it on the basis DrP book and his big supporter!!
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Re Amla. I bought 2 forms: a 1000 mg 'extract' capsule marketed as a Vitamin C supplement, and a powder marketed as a product rich in 'Vitamin C, Antioxidants, and Polyphenols'. Dosage on first is 2 capsules per day, and 'serving size' on powder is listed as 1 tsp. I've been doing the 2 capsules with intent of switching to powder when those run out (much cheaper). As it has been used as food for thousands of years, I would think that side effect risks are minimal at least at dosages at those levels or lower. Still very interested to understand mechanisms, but not overly worried. No clue whether extract or powder might be better? Did a blood draw yesterday after only 10 days, but have changed so many things that will be hard to attribute causes. Also, was just standard Doc's draw for traditional lipids, so no extra size or count info. Will probably do more detailed test after about a month.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

The high fat diet has harmed people here so let's hear how it is supposed to work as you are promoting it on the basis DrP book and his big supporter!!
Spunky, I'm just one person sharing my journey and my current dietary path. To my knowledge, no one on this site, eating a high MUFA/low carb diet, has been "harmed." You have an equal opportunity to share your perspective.

FWIW, I've seen those following a low fat diet and/or taking statin lowering supplements and medications that have been harmed. We don't have definitive answers. Our goal, as a community, is to work to find the best prevention protocol for E4 carriers. If you can follow the forum guidelines, you are welcome to join us.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Merouleau, I hear you and I'm certainly not passing judgement. I just wanted to wave a caution flag after what happened to Stavia and Skibike. I know you're smart end will back off if you start to exhibit any symptoms.

I am very anxious to see new lipids from Team Amla :D

RBK, my husband has bought a food saver machine and makes these tubes (like squeeze pops) composed of coconut butter, cacoa nibs, and almond butter. He takes them when he travels. He claims they taste like cookie dough. Are you doing something similar?
RBK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RBK »

Interesting! No, I do have one of those foodsaver machines tucked away in a cabinet though. Might have to experiment. I'm making more like homemade protein/granola type bars. But not crumbly, more dense and chewy. Oats, nut butters, dried fruits, cacao nibs, protein powder, etc, etc. I might need your husband's recipe though. :)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I forgot, he adds protein powder too. I'm sure he'd like your recipes, RBK. Have you been able to find dried fruits low in sugar?
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Sandraz wrote:Hi Julie,
Yes I was wondering how Amla lowers cholesterol. Haven't seen anything that explains mechanism although I have looked around a bit. My fear would be that it lowers LDLc, but keeps LDLp the same or even raises LDLp like I have read can happen with statins for some people. Especially if works in a similar way to statins. Maybe only way to know, at least that part, is to do an NMR after taking for a bit. But yes, the unknown bothers me a bit. The positive is it has been around for a long time. But that still doesn't mean there may not be problems. :?

Sandra Z
The text in the article summarizes how it might work:
Though the exact mechanism of hypolipidemic action of Amla is not known, it is likely that the Amla-induced favourable changes in the lipid profile may be due to several mechanisms such as an interference with cholesterol absorption,[19] inhibition of HMG Co-A reductase activity, and increase in Lecithin-Cholesterol Acyltransferase (LCAT) activity.
A statin works by inhibition of HMG Co-A reductase activity. But that doesnt mean anything with regards to Amla or how one may react or to the degree it works on HMG Co-A reductase.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

At conference, just a quick note:

Spunky: As I believe you know, I share many of your views on high-fat diets (though you still owe me a rational/justification from a 23andMe discussion for your claim that even MUFA-heavy diets are harmful for ε4s -- I asked you twice and you have failed to respond), and of Dr. Perlmutter. I'd like to submit, however, that telling people things like they're drinking Kool-Aid might not advance our discussion much. And I honestly mean "might not": human social interactions are complicated, and it's not clear to me that "being nice" is always the most productive approach (just take a look at any Platonic dialog!). But, in this case, I think backing off a touch is likely a good idea.

GB