reversing early memory loss

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Wiseheart
New User
New User

Re: reversing early memory loss

Post by Wiseheart »

I Have read Dr. Bredesen’s book, The End of Alzheimer’s. The Buck Institute is his I believe. I am so inspired to read of someone who is a normal person who tried his program. When you read the book the demands for intervention in your life feel overwhelming. But your list of lifestyle changes doesn’t feel so bad. I was surprised that in last Sunday’s New York Times, November 19, in the article on alzheimer’s that mentions the APO E4 website, there is no mention of Dr. Bredesen’s book. To say you don’t want to know your genetics status because there’s nothing you can do even if you do know it, is maybe no longer applicable it seems to me. Thank you for this forum,
Wiseheart, a new member.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

fahd--There is an organization called Consumer Lab that rates the different sources of supplements. I do not have a membership, but I think some others on this forum might, and could comment. I looked up curcumin for you and it does not look like they evaluated the CVS brand, so there may not be an opinion on that. Here is the link if you want to see the brands that they did evaluate.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Wiseheart wrote:I To say you don’t want to know your genetics status because there’s nothing you can do even if you do know it, is maybe no longer applicable it seems to me. Thank you for this forum,
Wiseheart, a new member.
Welcome, Wiseheart. I agree 100%! "There is nothing you can do" certainly is not the mindset of the community here; we are actively engaged minimizing our risk and optimizing our health. Happy to have you join us.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Hi Wiseheart,

Welcome to the forum! As floramaria said, we definitely are a group who believe that there is something we can do to improve our health and future state. Are you looking to make changes in your lifestyle? If so, you might want to check out the Primer on this site. It does not strictly follow the Bredesen Protocol, but contains some very good basic information for someone wanting to get started. (Some of us follow Dr. Bredesen's recommendations and some follow Dr. Gundry or others. There is a lot of overlap.) Please post any questions you have, as there are a lot of knowledgeable folks willing to respond.

As for the New York Times article, there has been some discussion in our community about why Dr. Bredesen might not have been mentioned in this thread.

Feel free to share more about yourself when you are ready. To find the "Our Stories" section, you can click here, and then click on "New Topic" at the top left to start your introduction.

Good health to you!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Wiseheart, you fit right in here!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Exodus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Exodus »

JML wrote:fahd--There is an organization called Consumer Lab that rates the different sources of supplements. I do not have a membership, but I think some others on this forum might, and could comment. I looked up curcumin for you and it does not look like they evaluated the CVS brand, so there may not be an opinion on that. Here is the link if you want to see the brands that they did evaluate.
Glad to see that someone mentioned Consumer Lab - I wanted to cite them a few days ago, but thought I might be violating one of the APOE guidlines, etc. I am a long-time member and impressed that sometimes they analyze Walgreen, CVS, WalMart, Sams Club and Costco supplements as well as other potentially more affordable supplements.

I am surprised, though, that without a membership you could get far enough into the site to see the actual ratings - maybe I don't need to be paying for the membership ;-)

They have analyzed several other brands including Walgreens, however, and have quite a comprehensive profile on curcumin that explains what to look for on labels in order to get the best quality, dosage information and information for an effective outcome. They do not allow companies to submit their product for testing - their procedure is to buy retail locally in the community.

Hope your week is off to a great start, JML . . . Exodus
Exodus
Contributor
Contributor

Re: reversing early memory loss - CURCUMIN!?!

Post by Exodus »

Results of various trials of several different types of curcumin and quite a bit of information re: how it is absorbed are on the curcumin profile at Consumer Lab.

I realized, after the fact that I should have posted this info in another thread more closely related to curcumin. I'm new at all of this, so please anyone reading this, feel free to re-post in appropriate place . . . thank you . . . Exodus