Sleep tips for women who don't want to take hormone replacment

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

Sleep tips for women who don't want to take hormone replacment

Post by progranulindefect »

i am having much improved sleep/no headaches/reduced hot flashes/improved cognitive function with some life style hacks involving no supplements. just $10 uvex blue blockers from amazon and some other measures. i don't have the apoe4 gene, but i have another genetic vulnerability (my screen name), and i was (and to a reduced extent still am) suffering from cognitive decline. my mother died from breast cancer, so i am committed to not taking hormone replacement. i found a way to finally sleep. if you are interested, i put in lots of detail here:

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?t ... hes.20610/

i hope my good results continue and my story might help someone else. my daughter thinks i'm better because of the placebo effect. but if that's placebo, i'll take it. my husband thinks i'm getting better because my hormones are shifting. however, i can go right back into having hot flashes (although not as severe) if i do strenuous exercise and/or see screens for long periods at night without blue blocker protection.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sleep tips for women who don't want to take hormone replacment

Post by Jan »

Kudos to you for so carefully watching your health, pd. Sleep is so precious, I am so glad your measures are working. Decisions about HRT are not simple or easy - as the site's pages and pages of posts on the issue reflect. (Stavia is aiming for a coherent summary of the entire topic when she can find some free time.) If you search Dr. Ann Hathaway on the site, or in YouTube videos, she offers much information on the subject.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Pro, congrats on a hack that's working for you. So many have found the blue-blocker glasses make a huge difference. So glad they, and your bedroom changes, are working for you, too!
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

progranulindefect wrote:i am having much improved sleep/no headaches/reduced hot flashes/improved cognitive function with some life style hacks involving no supplements. just $10 uvex blue blockers from amazon and some other measures. ...

i can go right back into having hot flashes (although not as severe) if i do strenuous exercise and/or see screens for long periods at night without blue blocker protection.
So glad I found this post and your link to the other forum. I have only used the Amazon blue light blocker glasses 4 nights but that is four nights of profoundly great sleep and changed life. I am not on HRT and would choose not to go on it but realize I will need an alternative. Now I see I need to learn more about all these things, including exercise. For example, I used to have exercise induced hypoglycemia and have been told I am prediabetic for 40 years now. Anyway, I agree about those who think it is all sugar pills. Sadly, let them think what they want. I love feeling better and look forward to learning to make more lifestyle changes that take my life back.

Thanks again,
Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

i have a challenge for anyone who sleeps badly:
pre1. block out all night light from your bedroom. hang multiple curtains if you need to. this step is the most important one. keep the temp on the chilly side. have a light blanket and heavier blankets that you can switch out by feel in the middle of the night as your temp changes.
1. turn off the circuit breaker to your bedroom at night.
2. turn off the wifi at night.
3. don't have your cell phone or any device in your bedroom at night.
4. wear amber colored uvex glasses when the sun goes down.
5. no fitbit etc on your wrist. no sleep trackers. of course if you need a cgm or a cpap machine, keep those going.

Cost- $10-20 dollars for the glasses.
Benefit- I got my short term memory back and no headaches.

if these hacks work for you, dive in more and go to sites like jackkruse.com or emfwarriors. com. i am ordering yellow-tinted glasses for indoor use in an environment with lots of artificial light. i wear regular glasses when driving or in a room with lots of natural light coming in from the windows. i wear the uvex when the sun goes down in my house. i will also be ordering more stylish amber red glasses for when i go out when the sun goes down as the uvex make you look like you are about to do some welding work or something. outside i wear nothing on my eyeballs, even though it's very blurry, except in situations where I need to see clearly, like when crossing the street.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Sleep tips for women who don't want to take hormone replacment

Post by Stavia »

progranulindefect wrote:i have a challenge for anyone who sleeps badly:
pre1. block out all night light from your bedroom. hang multiple curtains if you need to. this step is the most important one. keep the temp on the chilly side. have a light blanket and heavier blankets that you can switch out by feel in the middle of the night as your temp changes.
1. turn off the circuit breaker to your bedroom at night.
2. turn off the wifi at night.
3. don't have your cell phone or any device in your bedroom at night.
4. wear amber colored uvex glasses when the sun goes down.
5. no fitbit etc on your wrist. no sleep trackers. of course if you need a cgm or a cpap machine, keep those going.

Cost- $10-20 dollars for the glasses.
Benefit- I got my short term memory back and no headaches.

if these hacks work for you, dive in more and go to sites like jackkruse.com or emfwarriors. com. i am ordering yellow-tinted glasses for indoor use in an environment with lots of artificial light. i wear regular glasses when driving or in a room with lots of natural light coming in from the windows. i wear the uvex when the sun goes down in my house. i will also be ordering more stylish amber red glasses for when i go out when the sun goes down as the uvex make you look like you are about to do some welding work or something. outside i wear nothing on my eyeballs, even though it's very blurry, except in situations where I need to see clearly, like when crossing the street.
pro - I'm so pleased you are feeling better overall on better sleep!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

this is such an important discussion, and does not fit well with the original subject name. Progranulindefect, if you agree (and if it's possible), perhaps the subject name can be changed?
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: for women who don't want to take hormone replacment

Post by Julie G »

this is such an important discussion, and does not fit well with the original subject name. Progranulindefect, if you agree (and if it's possible), perhaps the subject name can be changed?
Agree! Maybe we could retitle it: Sleep Hygiene Tips?
progranulindefect
Contributor
Contributor

you can re-post it under multiple titles, but i want to have my original title left in as one of the multiple titles because i want women who suffer from bad sleep at the time of perimenopause/menopause to have another avenue to explore besides things hormone replacement or other meds that are given for hot flashes and/or sleep which i consider dangerous like any kind of hormone replacement in women with a family history of breast cancer, gabapentin, anticholinergics like benadryl, antidepressants like Effexor, assorted sleeping pills. the things that dr breseden recommends for sleep problems- melatonin, tryptophan, 5 htp do not work consistently. sun fiber does not work consistently. what i posted above does work consistently and is cheap with no risks. what i didn't go into detail about, but what is also very important, is to try to get morning sun, preferably with the sunrise, as it is this sun that is key to melatonin production.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Understood, Pro. Unfortunately, we're restricted to one title per thread. I think slacker's point was that amazing sleep tips were hidden in a thread with a misleading name. By accurately labelling our threads, we make them widely searchable for other members. How about: Sleep tips for women who don't want to take hormone replacement therapy? FWIW, I am women who DOES take bHRT and I think your tips are terrific for me too. They'd probably help our brother E4s as well ;).