Ideal Anti-Fragile Exercise Program?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
bexnews
Contributor
Contributor

Ideal Anti-Fragile Exercise Program?

Post by bexnews »

So I think we carriers of APOE4 understand that possessing the gene increases the risk for a number of health issues. It seems there is consensus on walking and aerobic exercise being beneficial but what about weight training and HIIT?

I have seen the studies that suggest that weight training can have lots of benefits as we age, regardless of APOE4 status. I have been doing a kettlebell program for a few years now and also light (trampoline) and HIIT aerobic exercise (kicking bag). I also like efficiency in exercise. Kettlebells are great because they are whole body exercise. I am looking into a new workout program that is very efficient at building strength but integrates hypertrophy, which I am not sure is a good thing given IGF concerns. Maybe IGF is only a dietary concern. Thoughts?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ideal Anti-Fragile Exercise Program?

Post by slacker »

Dr Bredesen recommends a combination of aerobic and weights in his new book; doesn't specifically address HIIT. You can search our site for prior posts on HIIT by selecting the 3 vertical "dots" in the upper right hand corner and using the search function. A lot of entries pop up, but it might be fruitful for you. I doubt that there is any consensus on the subject!
Slacker
E4/E4
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

I think I remember reading many times that plain old walking strengthens bones. Something about the feet hitting the ground. I expect there are some who know the particulars on this. My beginner plan includes walking 30 minutes a day with the intention that my distance and speed will increase, and once I am comfortable doing this the plan will change to adding more resistance/strength activities.

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Any exercise with weight on the bones helps reduce risk of osteopenia and osteoporosis. Walking, dancing, and weight training for example are helpful. Biking, elliptical, and swimming are great for the heart but not so much for the bones.
Slacker
E4/E4
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

I think they all help and seem to have different benefits in terms of bdnf, etc. My guess is the optimal plan is some of each. HIIT, weight, long low intensity wokouts....
E3/E4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I do lots of walking and gentle swimming and sometimes do a bit of gentle HIIT in the poll which involves swimming fast for one length then resting for a minute, just 1-3 times. Also weights with hand weights, again quite gentle but feel it helps. have tried body pump as well but found it a bit full on.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

See:

Enhanced Protein Translation Underlies Improved Metabolic and Physical Adaptations to Different Exercise Training Modes in Young and Old Humans. While this doesn't mention APOE, it's an interesting look at types of exercise with respect to muscle mitochondria health. Since sarcopenia is associated with cognitive decline, I suspect ultimately there's a link here for our ApoE4 cognition.
The molecular transducers of benefits from different exercise modalities remain incompletely defined. Here we report that 12 weeks of high-intensity aerobic interval (HIIT), resistance (RT), and combined exercise training enhanced insulin sensitivity and lean mass, but only HIIT and combined training improved aerobic capacity and skeletal muscle mitochondrial respiration. HIIT revealed a more robust increase in gene transcripts than other exercise modalities, particularly in older adults, although little overlap with corresponding individual protein abundance was noted. HIIT reversed many age-related differences in the proteome, particularly of mitochondrial proteins in concert with increased mitochondrial protein synthesis. Both RT and HIIT enhanced proteins involved in translational machinery irrespective of age. Only small changes of methylation of DNA promoter regions were observed. We provide evidence for predominant exercise regulation at the translational level, enhancing translational capacity and proteome abundance to explain phenotypic gains in muscle mitochondrial function and hypertrophy in all ages. [Emphasis added]
If only my joints could take the HIIT. I need mimetics :(
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
bexnews
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bexnews »

Another thing to consider - blood flow restriction/occlusion/kaatsu exercise - seems to be a good way to build muscle while protecting bones/joints.

Some resources:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 151926.htm

Dr. Ken Ford talks about the benefits to "older" folks of working out in this way:
https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcas ... d-podcast/

from the transcript, note he also mentions electrical stim/vibration (which I think is $$) and soe other stuff:
Yeah, so especially as we age, my first goal in the gym is to avoid injury. You heal less quickly and first goal: don’t hurt yourself. But going from there, I’m a big advocate in whole body resistance training with occasional tabata sessions thrown in, like a kinda rowing machine, a kind of cozy devices. And of course, I think it’s great to spend a lot of time outdoors and in nature. I like to spend a lot of timing hiking in Wyoming and Maine. Like what you said, what is your preferred method in terms of exercise, I’d say its resistance training. And in the nutshell, I incorporate methods that are intended to allow me to train intensely and safely, so the one method I use is hierarchical sets. Another, as we mentioned earlier, is occasionally centric movements, another would be kettlebells. Another would be blood flow restriction training and I’m a big advocate of that, another would be electrical muscle stimulation, and I quite like vibration platform as well.
Read more at: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/transc ... d-podcast/
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andru »

I've been doing HIIT every day for the past few years, although I started at 1-2 times a week and worked up to it. It's important to prevent injuries and listen to your body.

Others have listed some studies showing the benefits of HIIT. I can only anecdotally attest to the benefits it has on me, which range from low blood pressure to just "feeling great".
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Here's a parallel recent thread on exercise that you may find of interest.
Also consider the search function for earlier threads: look for the magnifying glass in the tool bar right upper corner of website.
Slacker
E4/E4