Tip for blue light at night from electronics and appliances ...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Tip for blue light at night from electronics and appliances ...

Post by circular »

Just a little tip if you hate all the bright lights (often blue that's unfriendly to our circadian rhythms) that home electronics and appliances pierce the dark of night with ...

I have found that electric tape does a nice job of covering these. You can buy it in black which is virtually invisible on black electronics and will completely black out the light, or you can buy color rolls to match the electronic device or appliance, but sometimes these will only dim the light. I had a great time running around cutting little pieces to cover up everything but the stovetop clock.

Of course you can save energy by unplugging everything at night too, but I guess I just don't want to go around plugging and unplugging every morning and night.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Tip for blue light at night from electronics and appliances ...

Post by hill dweller »

Red cellophane/plastic film also works
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I like the f.lux screen blue light blocker mentioned in the Primer.

Oh sorry i thought you meant screens. Yes also just keeping those somewhere else than the bedroom to recharge can help, too.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi I've been using f.lux for years. Love it. I dim the blue light on my screen 24/7, and also on my iPhone with its built in screen dimmer. I don't have anything in the bedroom with lights, they're all out in the living area: stove, microwave, fridge door for water/ice, cable box, Apple TV box, Bose wave radio that runs through those items, blender, Instant Pot ... I unplug the last two and have covered up all the others. I don't even like seeing them in the evening when the Hue lightbulbs are all low to no blue light (ie, orange/red everywhere).
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

circ, I'm the same way. Just don't like to see them all. My newest electric toothbrush is the most annoying right now because it flashes in a 3 light sequence running up the handle to show it's charging. Really? They have to flash, flash, flash every 2 seconds to tell me that? Ugh...
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Oh Susan yuk. I'd put some electrical tape over it :-D
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

My hubs beat me to it.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

This is funny. I use the electrical tape too. Sometimes the are so bright, they take multiple layers. The Las Vegas look in one's bedroom has always been a pet peavey of mine and I need darkness to sleep. The reason this is funny to me is I use to be the hardware designer for hp laserjet printers control panels. So I designed the LEDs to use as little current as I could get away with.
E3/E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

sarahb12 wrote:This is funny. I use the electrical tape too. Sometimes the are so bright, they take multiple layers. The Las Vegas look in one's bedroom has always been a pet peavey of mine and I need darkness to sleep. The reason this is funny to me is I use to be the hardware designer for hp laserjet printers control panels. So I designed the LEDs to use as little current as I could get away with.
Interesting and funny! Clearly there need to be more control panel hardware designers like you!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I use blue blocker (blocks anything < 490nm) clipons any time all day that I'm inside. Outside I try to not even wear glasses and never wear sunglasses. I also try to get out for at least 15 minutes of the first hour after sunrise and let the sun shine on my face while I take a walk barefoot in shorts and a t-shrit (in January in Colorado). Likewise I try to get out at noon in the sun with as few clothes as possible - again with no glasses on. In the morning, neighbors think I'm strange, but they don't realize I've just soaked in a 50 deg F bath for 20+ minutes :lol:
Tincup
E3,E4