Question for the foodies!

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Question for the foodies!

Post by Julie G »

I've been playing around with various Asian sauces and wondered what folks have found to be the safest/healthiest thickeners for those of us using a low carb approach. I like arrowroot, but it's so high in carbs. Any thoughts on xanthum gum? Here's an article I found that feels fairly neutral... Any other ideas would be much appreciated.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question for the foodies!

Post by ru442 »

I use tapioca starch... works just like corn starch, has no aftertaste and it's on Gundry's list.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks, RU. Pretty high in carbs, but likely also high in resistant starch and therefore gut friendly.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

In one of her cookbooks, Danielle Walker uses egg yolks. Haven't tried it, but it should work.

Whisk egg yolks, temper by stirring 1/2 cup of the heated sauce into yolks, then add back to pan to cook until thickened.

Her recipe called for 2 egg yolks for about a cup of sauce.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

It's carby but I you only need a teaspoon or 2 at most when thickening, and that is for a large batch of gravy etc. I've used arrow root and the problem is it can turn into gelatin quickly, once it's in that form its basically inedible. I've not found any other suitable thickener for our group, others may have something better?
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Jaque
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jaque »

Try using Chick Pea (garbanzo) flour that you can find in Indian grocery store as a substitute for white flour in sauces. It is a common thickening ingredient in Indian cooking. It does give its own taste and flavor unlike neutral white four so use it sparingly until you know you like it.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Kuzu?

Agar-agar?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Sarah Ballantyne, AKA The Paleo Mom, doesn’t recommend xanthan gum for people with autoimmune disease. Personally, I am sensitive to it.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks, all; really helpful. NewRon, both Kuzu and Agar Agar are new to me. I found more here. Kuzu is actually an old "friend." I know it as kudzu. Anyone whose lived in the South (or Japan) knows that this is the most aggressive, nasty, "weed" ever. It takes over huge tracts of land and hillsides in a very short period of time. What would it do to my innards... :shock:
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

Coconut flour? I can't bake with it, because it thickens up WAY too much. Start with a very small amount.