Is Radon toxic?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TerryS
New User
New User

Is Radon toxic?

Post by TerryS »

I'm brand new to this site. Has there been any information or testing about Radon as a toxin, or any correlation between high radon gas in water or air and Alzheimers? Thank you!
TerryS
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Is Radon toxic?

Post by Sara »

Greetings Terry and welcome to the apoe4.info site and thank you for your great question! I am not an expert on this topic by any means but there has been some research that indicates that there is a correlation between radon and Alzheimer's disease. Here is a quote from the National Radon Defense - "Lab technicians at the University of North Dakota discovered that radioactive radon concentrations in the brains of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease patients were (on average) 10 times greater than in the brains of persons with no Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease symptoms. " Here are two sources for you to read more about this topic. A great place to get started on the apoe4.info site is our Primer. I am sure some of our membership will have more to add in regard to radon so stay tuned!

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 66326.html

https://www.nationalradondefense.com/ab ... eases.html
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Welcome to the Forum TerryS. You can search for previously discussed topics by clicking on the 3 vertical dots to the right of your name and then typing in a key word into the search box (like Radon). I found 2 other posts that discussed Radon but not the science that you are seeking. If you haven't discovered it yet, may I encourage you to review our Primer, written by Stavia (a physician member). The Primer can be found under the Getting Started tab or here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418. Another great resource to check out is New here? Some Best Practices contributed by Ski. It can be found under the Our Stories tab or viewtopic.php?f=2&t=557
Again, welcome. I look forward to reading your posts and great questions.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
TerryS
New User
New User

Thank You!

Post by TerryS »

Thanks so much. it's great to know you are here as a resource. I have much to learn. I just finished Dr Bredesens book, and ordered my test kit. Alzheimers was cause of death of my father and 2 of his siblings. the only member of my Dads family without AD is his brother in Canada. AD is Also in my Mom's family. so I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining my own cognitive decline. As I'm watching the decline of my Dad's youngest sister (76) now in a nursing home and on so many drugs, I know I want something different for my generation. I have 4 brothers between 50 and 60, so I'm trying to be proactive. We just found our house tested high for Radon. I guess I have some work to do. :) Thank you for your time.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hi Terry, I live in an area prone to high radon, too. Mitigation is inexpensive when compared to the health costs of lung cancer - it's the second leading cause after smoking.

You are at a great point to be proactive on so many fronts, given your family history. Many of us have walked that path of seeing older relatives decline with AD. Poke around, read our primer to understand more about ApoE4 and what you can do. Bredesen's book is another great resource to piece together a plan.

As you go forward, ask away. We're here to support each other's journeys.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Thank You!

Post by Jan »

TerryS wrote:I know I want something different for my generation.
Highly motivating, isn't it, Terry! Kudos to you for sparking change. I'm so glad we can walk alongside you on your journey.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.