Gathering Recipes—I need your help!

slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gathering Recipes—I need your help!

Post by slacker »

ChristinaA wrote: So cooking anything coated in a good quality extra virgin olive oil and or coconut oil fat higher than 350 degrees Fahrenheit will destroy the quality of the good oils and turn them into rancid/oxidized fats, and thats the last thing we want to happen = more ROS. So just remember, do not cook anything higher than 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
It is called smoke point of oils if anyone is interested in reading more http://www.honeyandvanilla.com/knowledg ... -fats.html
Has anyone read an actual study that supports the smoke point position? Is the oil ruined immediately, or does it take a certain amount of time? The link that ChristinaA included states the position, but doesn't have a reference.
Slacker
E4/E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Hi slacker, Have been looking for studies since I saw your post. Many articles on dangers of bringing oils to smoke point, but as you noted, no references, generally. Finally found this:

The levels of cytotoxic aldehydic products in different culinary oils, with or without thermal stress, (routine domestic or commercial frying) were determined by thiobarbituric acid method. The results showed that (i) thiobarbituric acid reactivity was much higher in edible oils rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids than those rich in saturated fatty acids or monounsaturated fatty acids, even without thermal stress, (ii) the lipid peroxide levels were in proportion to the duration of thermal stress, (iii) nature of the container used (steel, iron or teflon-coated) had no significant effect on the extent of lipid peroxidation under identical conditions of thermal stress and (iv) thermally stressed oils collected from hotels and roadside caterers contained higher levels of cytotoxic aldehydic products, when compared to oils thermally stressed under domestic frying conditions. These results suggest that dietary ingestion of thermally or autoxidatively stressed polyunsaturated fatty acid rich culinary oils is more harmful compared with those similarly treated oils rich in saturated fatty acids and monounsaturated fatty acids.

full article: Lipid peroxidation in culinary oils subjected to thermal stress
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02873539
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
rianlees
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rianlees »

At times I do like to spend hours in the kitchen but I equally like quick, easy and nutrient dense options.
These recipes are both from my website www.healthexpressions.com.au, and inspired by life experience and other cooks..

Tahini Dressing- Vegan, vegetarian, HFLC
Quick, easy and versatile this tahini sauce is great poured over salads, steamed vegetables, cooked grains and meats.
It can also be used as a dip (homous without the chickpeas) and provides a generous dose of calcium for bone and nervous system health plus good amounts of iron and zinc.

150ml tahini
1-2 cloves of garlic crushed
50-75ml water
50ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
pinch of salt

Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
You may wish to use less water if you like the dressing a bit thicker.

Here's another quick and easy recipe
No Cooked Cooked Greens - Quantities are vague for this recipe...

Rocket
Kale
Silverbeet
Spinach
Radicchio
Beet leaves
Or any garden leaves on hand....

Chop into thick or thin slices. Place into bowl.
Dress with olive oil (or your preferred oil) and give your greens a quick vigorous massage.
I add a pinch of good quality sea / rock/ Himalayan salt ( for extra adrenal support) and because I'm a salt fiend.
After 5-15 mins the leaves have softened considerably and are wonderful alongside of anything really. Omelettes, meat, fish, haloumi etc etc.

Variation: You may wish to add shaved parmesan, toasted nuts or seeds or some sardines/ mackerel.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

I made "Nutty, Juicy Shroom Burgers" from Dr. Gundry's Book "The Planet Paradox", for my family, and we really liked it! Even my 4 year old approved it:)
I am sharing the recipe with you:

Servings 4
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

- 2 cups walnuts, halves and pieces
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped red beet
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, or 1/4 garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably Hungarian (I did not use it)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley ( I used fresh)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil or sage
- 2 tablespoons cassava or tapioca flour
- 3 tablespoons of EVOO or avocado oil
- 8 romaine leaves or butter lettuce leaves
- For meat version: Add 1/2 pound of grass-fed ground beef or pasture chicken or turkey to the mixing bowl. I tried with the beef, and turkey and with either was super good!

Put the walnuts, mushrooms, beet, garlic, 1/2 cup of onion, paprika, parsley, salt, pepper in a food processor. Pulse until blended but still chunky.
Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl, and stir in the basil, and the flour. Greased your hands with the oil, and knead the mixture to fully combine ingredients. Form the patties, each about 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in 3 tablespoons of avocado oil. Add the patties and cook for 4-5 minutes per side.
Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Magda wrote:I made "Nutty, Juicy Shroom Burgers" from Dr. Gundry's Book "The Planet Paradox", for my family, and we really liked it!
Sounds yummy Magda! Thanks for the photo too!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
MadScientist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MadScientist »

Awesome idea!

Kale with Garlic and Hot Red Pepper

Washed, chopped, bagged kale makes the side dish as easy as it is tasty.

Cooking Light JUNE 2004
• Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)

Ingredients
• 2 cups water
• 1 (1-pound) bag chopped kale
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (Not with lectin avoidance)
Preparation
Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add kale; cover and cook 2 minutes or until bright green and wilted. Drain kale in a colander, pressing until barely moist.
Place pan over low heat. Add oil and garlic; cook 4 minutes or until garlic is just beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the kale, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly.
ApoE 3/4, female, 63 yrs
MTHFR compound heterozygous
MadScientist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MadScientist »

Kale with Lemon-Balsamic Butter

If you like spicy foods, add a dash of crushed red pepper.
YIELD: 10 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables
Ingredients
4 (1-pound) bunches kale
4 quarts water
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup raisins chopped dates or figs
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation
Remove stems and center ribs from kale. Wash and pat dry. Coarsely chop to measure 24 cups. Bring water to a boil in an 8-quart stockpot. Add kale; cover and cook 3 minutes. Drain well; place kale in a bowl.
Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in raisins, juice, and vinegar; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly with a whisk. Pour butter mixture over kale. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss well to coat.
Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
Calories: 151
Calories from fat: 28%
Fat: 4.7g
Saturated fat: 2.3g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
Protein: 6.3g
Carbohydrate: 25.5g
Fiber: 4.9g
Cholesterol: 9mg
Iron: 3.4mg
Sodium: 289mg
Calcium: 252mg

Cooking Light NOVEMBER 2002
ApoE 3/4, female, 63 yrs
MTHFR compound heterozygous
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

I think this might be my favorite page. All of these recipes sound so delicious. I have a few that I would like to add as well; however, my problem is that I never measure ANYTHING! I'm a visual measurer, and that is a bad habit to get into.
Mad Scientist, love the name!
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
maddanwill
Contributor
Contributor

Post by maddanwill »

Bettylacy,
Can you explain what is nutritional yeast ? What is it used for? What does it taste like?
thanks
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

maddanwill wrote:Bettylacy,
Can you explain what is nutritional yeast ? What is it used for? What does it taste like?
thanks

I can just pipe in a little here if that's okay! Nutritional yeast is flaky, it is a "deactivated" form of a certain yeast. It has a ton of B-vitamins in it, and many folks used it to make "cheeses", sauces, or they'll sprinkle it right on salads and popcorn. Bettylacy will surely have some more info, too!
PS = Bragg's is a pretty popular brand, too. =)
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern