New here? Some Best Practices

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New here? Some Best Practices

Post by Jan »

rianlees wrote:Great summary and great recipe for wellness.
rianlees, JML is compiling recipes from site members to go into a Wiki. Judging from some of the recipes already submitted, it will be a delightful resource. With your interest in nutrition, perhaps you have a recipe or two you could contribute? Here's the thread in case you haven't seen it: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3874&hilit=recipes
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Rianlees, welcome to our community! From your post, I’m guessing you may already be aware of our excellent site Primer written by Stavia, a practicing physician. Please feel free to share a bit about yourself and what brought you to our site in the Our Stories forum if you’d like.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forums.
all the best, Lucy
Ezg2nh8
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ezg2nh8 »

Hello. Thank you all for this wealth of information and support!
I am grappling with whether or not to tell my 4 siblings about my results. They did not choose to be tested and divulging mine gives them limited information they may not want to know.
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Ezg2nh8 wrote:Hello. Thank you all for this wealth of information and support!
I am grappling with whether or not to tell my 4 siblings about my results. They did not choose to be tested and divulging mine gives them limited information they may not want to know.
Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks
Hi Ezg2nh8;

Another newer member asked the same question earlier today, so it's a topic of great interest. Here's a link to the thread...it's a very individual decision making process.
Slacker
E4/E4
rianlees
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rianlees »

Thanks Jan, I will take a look now. Have been offline for a few days as our school hols are just finishing up here -sigh of relief- I'll have a look through my favourite recipes for something suitable.
rianlees
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rianlees »

Lucy5 wrote:Rianlees, welcome to our community! From your post, I’m guessing you may already be aware of our excellent site Primer written by Stavia, a practicing physician. Please feel free to share a bit about yourself and what brought you to our site in the Our Stories forum if you’d like.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forums.
all the best, Lucy
Hi Lucy,

Thanks for the welcome I am a FMCA candidate and soon to be intern, I've had a good look around the site just got to work out how to 'drive it' now.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi rian...I see that I missed your earlier introduction as a new intern! Your focus on nutritional, herbal and lifestyle medicine will be so helpful. Thank you for your support and welcome to the team!
Lucy
Blayne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Blayne »

I just joined your site. My wife was diagnosed with AD four years ago and is in the middle stages. We have a good health support team in place (family physician, functional doctor, dietician). She has one copy of the APOE4 gene. We are just starting to follow the Bredesen protocol. I must admit to information overload at this point. We are trying to follow a Keto diet but find it a bit extreme so are now using the "New Atkins Diet" guidelines for vegetarians. I thought that we would be in ketosis by now (1 month in) but haven't registered any readings over 0.5. I haven't found a recommended ratio of Fat/Protein?Carb to use as a guideline. The primer was quite useful.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings Blayne and welcome to the apoe4.info site! Congratulations on all that you have done to help your wife and coordinate her care. There is so much information to sort through and this site is an excellent place to seek answers from the community of individuals who are walking this walk with you. I see that you have found our primer and appreciate your positive feedback. Please feel free to share a bit about yourself and what brought you to our site in the Our Stories forum if you’d like.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Blayne wrote: I haven't found a recommended ratio of Fat/Protein?Carb to use as a guideline.
I believe that the direction that we were given from a nutritionist was to target a P20/F60/C20 ratio, and I have also seen that a ratio of fat:carbs + protein of 1.5:1 to 2:1 will cause mild ketosis. But everyone has a different tolerance for carbs, and I think you have to experiment a bit. Some folks have to go as low as 20 g carbs per day to get to ketosis.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach