Welcome!!!

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Welcome!!!

Post by floramaria »

KrisRich wrote:OK I have the gene but that doesn't mean I will get it right????? .....
Question if I have 2 copies of the apoE4 does that mean I will get it later on?.
Hi KrisRich, I want to add my welcome to you and reinterate what the others have said: Genetic information like 2 copies of ApoE4 shows a risk factor, but does not determine your future. It certainly does not mean that you will get later on. There is so much that you can do to reduce your risk, and it sounds like you are already off to a great start with two tremendous resources: the accumulated knowledge and supportive community here on this website and Dr. Bredesen’s book. You can do so much to impact the environment in which the genes either express themselves or do not. Since you are already following an Ayurvedic diet and adjusting your food intake to go with Dr Bredesen’s recommendations that is another plus, and then you have a head start with the supplements you are taking. Looking at the Primer, as Jan recommended, is a good way to introduce yourself to further steps you can take to optimize your long term health. As you go along and questions arise, using the Search option will let you see discussions on many topics. And if you don’t find the answers you are looking for, please ask questions. We are all sharing our experiences and learning from each other.
Best wishes!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
KrisRich
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KrisRich »

Thank you.
sandi-ko
New User
New User

Post by sandi-ko »

Thank you all for this forum. I just got my 11-year-old son's results back (from 23andme) and he's APOE-3/4. I've cried the entire morning but feel hopeful for him and for all of you who are also carriers that more and more answers are forthcoming. I'm an avid follower of studies on the gut microbiome and will continue to follow those related to this gene, among other resources and studies. Again, thank you so much for being here.
Mom of 3/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

KrisRich wrote: I grew up Swedish. My father and his family all born in Sweden and he didn’t come to America till he was 9 yrs old. Turns out my mother was not all Polish turns out I was 3 points higher Ashkenazi Jew. Her grandmother from the Ukraine and she married a Polish man. We figure that they were both Ashkenazi Jews and changed to catholic when they came to America... That’s where the gene came from.
Hi again Kris!
I think lots of people find out they likely have ancestors they didn't know about through 23&me; that's part of the fun doing it. Like you, I found out that someone with Ashkenazi heritage (or a similar genetic profile) joined the Austrian/German part of my mother's family in the late 18th or early 19th century. Like your family, they were all Catholic by the time they emigrated to NYS in the late 1800's. Similarly, my father's side, which spent a whole bunch of generations on Scottish, English, Welsh and maybe Irish shores, welcomed a visiting Norwegian at some point in the 1700's. (Scotland and Norway are practically next door to each other!) But I can't pinpoint any specific ancestors as having the Apoe 4 alleles. You and I both had to inherit one from each parent. So in your case, there's one Swedish ancestor (or more) who passed that down to your dad, and one Polish or Ukranian ancestor (whether Catholic or Jewish) who passed that down to your mom. Since these alleles are more common in cold weather climates, they appear to also have helped those ancestors survive cold winters with food shortages. With your Swedish ancestry, you should visit Minnesota sometime; lots of Swedish surnames there, and great pancakes with lingonberries!
4/4 and still an optimist!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

sandi-ko wrote: I just got my 11-year-old son's results back (from 23andme) and he's APOE-3/4. I've cried the entire morning but feel hopeful for him and for all of you who are also carriers that more and more answers are forthcoming. I'm an avid follower of studies on the gut microbiome and will continue to follow those related to this gene, among other resources and studies. Again, thank you so much for being here.
Hi sandi-ko,

I have two sons and a daughter who are 3/4s, all of them wonderful young adults with what I believe will continue to bright futures. I remember well having an 11 year old, when even the thought of getting through Middle School and the white water rapids of adolescence is enough to keep you up nights. Your son has a great mom. And he has lots of time in which the rapidly expanding knowledge of the many contributing factors and protective factors related to dementia will provide a more personalized approach for him to follow. Having my oldest son go through heart surgery at age 5, after 5 previous surgeries, taught me that kids are resilient and do best when we enjoy the journey too.
Hugs from another mom.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings Sandi-ko and welcome to the apoe4.info web site. You were very courageous to test your son on 23andme... and as NF52 mentioned, there will be so many advances in the near future that I too am optimistic that AD will be a thing of the past by the time your son reaches adulthood. Your son is fortunate to have a mom who with all this information can help him form healthy eating and lifestyle habits as he matures. If you would like more information please take a moment to visit our Primer. Warm Regard, Sara
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Foxfors5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Foxfors5 »

Hi there everyone, newbie here. I am so impressed with everything I am reading on this site. Positive support is so important. I found out about my APOE status from my doctor. She thought it might be a good idea to investigate my high cholesterol rate a little deeper, since eating a plant based diet and exercising regularly didn't seem to move it much. The test was through Health Diagnostic Labs. I also learned about MTHFR through that same test. I am APOE 3/4 and heterozygous for MTHFR A1298C. Before this test I had no idea about either of these genetic variants and how they affect ones life. I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. Perhaps someone on this site can enlighten me. My question is about niacin therapy for cholesterol control. I understand that people use niacin for over methylation. If you are using niacin for cholesterol and you are not over methylating will the niacin interrupt or affect the methylation process at all? Thanks...
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Foxfors5 wrote:If you are using niacin for cholesterol and you are not over methylating will the niacin interrupt or affect the methylation process at all?
Hi Foxfors5.

Yes, niacin metabolism will use "use up" methyl groups, so in cases where you have taken too much folate (over methylation), it will help metabolize the excess.

One copy of A1298C usually doesn't cause any problems. For more see: https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Methylation#MTHFR_gene

Is your homocysteine level okay? Have you tested folate and B12 levels?

If you are comfortable, you could also share your lipid results and others might have ideas to explore. Consider creating a new topic in Our Stories so your questions don't get lost in this long thread.
Foxfors5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Foxfors5 »

Thank you SusanJ for the suggestion and the answer to my question. My latest lipid panel is
Total 246
HDL 51
Triglycerides 138
LDL 167
These were the best numbers I have had in years.

homocysteine 10.2
b12 391
folate 17.1
My doctor is very informed about both APOE and MTHFR especially . She suggested looking into Dr Amy Yasko. She seems to be the foremost authority on MTHFR. I am taking 2 of her supplements, a multiple vitamin and a spray B12 called Bear Energy.
I just started taking Folapro. Hopefully it will help to bring that homocysteine down a bit. My diet is mainly plant based with salmon or sardines once a week and perhaps a bit of chicken or turkey occasionally. My blood type is A negative, secretor, and I follow the blood type diet religiously. Type A's are natural vegetarians.
Thanks again for the suggestion. I will find my way around here eventually.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Hi, Foxfors5, here's a link to the site Primer in case you haven't come across it yet. And the site search engine is the three stacked squares to the right of your name at the top of the page. It's a great way to pull up lots of information when you want to research a particular topic.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.