Nausea - which one or combination is it? help!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Nausea - which one or combination is it? help!

Post by Stavia »

SusanJ wrote:My money is on the methylfolate. You don't have any MTHFR problems, so cut it out for a week or two and let your nausea settle out, and then try 400 mcg every other day.
Will do. Will open the 1000mcg capsules and Chuck out half.
Does it accumulate?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Nausea - which one or combination is it? help!

Post by SusanJ »

It's water soluble, so no accumulation, but you are likely getting some level of folate in that leafy-greens diet of yours. So my guess is that 1000 mcg is way too much for you. I mostly take 400 mcg (more if sick or stressed) and I am double whammy on MTHFR C677T.

If you read the side effects of Deplin, Metafolin, etc, they all say upset stomach. I haven't really looked into the why.

I'd chuck it, and then order a lower dose when you run out. Somewhere down the road, maybe retest your homocysteine to see if it goes up with lower folate.

And let us know if this turns out to be the problem. If it's any consolation, I'm going through the same thing. I've gone on a supplement fast, and now adding some back to see which one(s) are the culprit.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Stavia, I haven’t had nausea with 800 mcgs methylfolate but that could be because I’m homozygous MTHFR? I’m guessing you’ve ruled out the possibility that something has triggered gastritis...
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Lucy5 wrote:Stavia, I haven’t had nausea with 800 mcgs methylfolate but that could be because I’m homozygous MTHFR? I’m guessing you’ve ruled out the possibility that something has triggered gastritis...
Hmm...good thought!!
Smart girl.
Better check for helicobacter. Was previously negative but can redo.

Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

One more note. I’ve had gastritis several times, but never heliobacter. I used to take a daily low dose aspirin that as I got older, apparently started causing a bit of stomach bleeding.
Symptoms were like those of an ulcer, including nausea. I’m wondering if certain mixes/doses of supps can cause same symptoms at times.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Lucy5 wrote:One more note. I’ve had gastritis several times, but never heliobacter. I used to take a daily low dose aspirin that as I got older, apparently started causing a bit of stomach bleeding.
Symptoms were like those of an ulcer, including nausea. I’m wondering if certain mixes/doses of supps can cause same symptoms at times.
Yup. Curcumin and Ashwagandha can, gave my sister horrible gastritis. She cannot tolerate either.

HomesteadGal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HomesteadGal »

How are they making you sick within minutes? They haven't had time to break down. Are you taking something liquid that could affect you that fast?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Don't know.... some are not capsules and dissolve very easily like the ALCAR NAC etc. When I take each day's out the pill thingy box some of the tablets are very soft.
Only water.
Good thought. I could trial the capsules alone and if they are ok I've narrowed it down to the tablets!
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

Ok, being an engineer, I have to add my 2 bits. By splitting them in half (and half again, etc), you may be able to get to the answer quicker. Take 1/2, if no issues, take 3/4, etc. If issues with first half, then take 1/4, etc.
E3/E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Clever girl!!