Newcomer Intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
JimBG
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Newcomer Intro

Post by JimBG »

Hello all. I'm an ApoE3/4 and have been following the discussions on this board for a few weeks now. What a great group and what terrific and informative discussions! I'm sure there are many other silent members like myself and I just want to say how much I appreciate all the work that has gone into set this up and all the many great inputs from a host of folks. I also think that so many topics have so comprehensively been covered that unless a person has something new to contribute they are silent. Not to mention that the level of discussion can become so detailed and technical that it can be intimidating to join in.

I'm 63 and a recently retired Banker who now has more time to focus on his health. I take care of my dad (92) who lives with us along with my wife who has bi-polar disorder. Needless to say I am kept quite busy and wonder how I did it all when working.

I have read Stavia's comprehensive Introduction to ApoE4 (Thank you Stavia!) as well as the most recent books by Drs. Dale Bredesen and Steven Gundrey. I also follow closely Dr. Rhonda Patrick, Dr. Peter Attia, Dr. Jason Fung as well as number of others. Dr. Valter Longo's new book on the Fasting Mimicking diet is next up on my reading list. It's interesting how most of the Drs. as well as others on this board have their "sweet spot" focus whether it be micronutrients, rapamycin/mTOR, insulin, fasting, lectins, ketones, etc. I think all these areas of focus have valid points that can contribute to healthspan and lifespan.

One thing I have come to appreciate in following all this and doing my own research is the incredible complexity of molecular biology and the human body. Which is why many prefer to leverage the body's own pre-programmed wisdom to remedy ailments and are wary of drugs that target a specific gene or function without fully understanding the long term impact or unintended consequences.

Speaking of complexity, this has powerfully been impressed upon me going through my DNA results on 23 and Me and Promethease. The research on the many polymorphisms is overwhelming and I would say is still in it's infancy stage. And the interaction between good and bad ones (as well as the microbiome!) is poorly understood. That said one polymorphism that appears on my results was that I have the best version of the FOX03 gene (rs2802292 G,G) the so called "longevity gene". So the question is how would that interact with the ApoE3/4 polymorphism? One would seem to muck things up, whereas the other would seem to turn on good genes. My guess is that we don't know but thought I would throw this out there anyway. Thanks for any thoughts!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Newcomer Intro

Post by Stavia »

JimBG wrote:
.....One thing I have come to appreciate in following all this and doing my own research is the incredible complexity of molecular biology and the human body. Which is why many prefer to leverage the body's own pre-programmed wisdom to remedy ailments and are wary of drugs that target a specific gene or function without fully understanding the long term impact or unintended consequences.....The research on the many polymorphisms is overwhelming and I would say is still in it's infancy stage. And the interaction between good and bad ones (as well as the microbiome!) is poorly understood.
Hi Jim!
Thanks for introducing yourself, and you have already contributed to our community by your wise, measured words above.
Every member is equally valued here, frequent posters or lurkers :)

I'm looking forward to Longo's book too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Newcomer Intro

Post by Magda »

Hello JimBG,
Welcome to the forum.

I see that you are very proactive, and taking charge of your own health.
This is wonderful that you have found our PRIMER, as well as many amazing books on various important health topics.
Recently, I have also become very intrigued by our genes, how do they work and express.
I follow work of Dr. Ben Lynch. Literally two days ago his first book : " Dirty Gense" was released.
I have not finished reading it yet, but his main message is: that genes are not our destiny, genes work in synergy, genes get dirty and we can clean them up and change their expression.
I invite you to look at Dr. Lynch's work, maybe it will help you to find some answers.

If you would like to search our site for specific topics, please click on three vertical squares right by your username.
If you have any more question do not hesitate to post them. We are all here to help and support each other.

Be well,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
JimBG
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JimBG »

Thank you Stavia and Magda for your thoughts, suggestions and kind words. Will no doubt read Longo next and then Dr. Lynch. It's hard to keep up with all the developments in the field of health and nutrition, but this forum certainly aids in that endeavor.

As an aside another book I recently went through which I thought valuable and had not seen mentioned here was Eran Segal's "The Personalized Diet". The basic concept, which makes sense, is that their is no "perfect" diet for all humans. Each person is unique with often quite different responses to the same foods. He keys in on measuring glucose response and the composition of a person's microbiome and tailoring one's diet accordingly. Very interesting. As I think Stavia has said in some of her posts YMMV!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

“Leverage the body’s own preprogrammed wisdom” - good thought!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.