Asked to do book review on Dr. Bredesen's _The End of Alzheimer's_ CRY FOR HELP, PLEASE

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Asked to do book review on Dr. Bredesen's _The End of Alzheimer's_ CRY FOR HELP, PLEASE

Post by drae »

I have been asked to do a book review on Dr. Bredesen's book The End of Alzheimer's. The audience will be a regular meeting of a local Alzheimer's support (small) group at our local (Award of Excellence) Senior Center, including the woman who leads all things related to Alzheimer's at the Center.

My goal is to get the word out that Alzheimer's is preventable and in early stages may be reversible. I have been looked at with great sympathy by the few folks I have tried to speak with. None have heard anything about changes in the field, all have stated something like: but the brain cells die. I believe if I convince the leader, she will spread the word to her network locally and up the chain, and, we might even get a support group started for folks like me who are resisting symptoms, or who want to develop the lifestyle to prevent AD.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to effectively review the book. I have not given a book review, not even a book report, since High School.

Also, is there pertinent info/statistics I could give concerning results of people using the protocol? I am not even clear on the success of people on this forum, I think because I am working so hard on just doing the basics, and, still find the reading here varying degress of hard to absorb and extensive).

I expect to speak 30-40 minutes then field a few questions. (I can say "I don't know" in several ways.) I would for sure like to share a few stories, but which?

I have 3+ weeks to prepare so will start with re-reading the book. Remember, when I read it, I had no idea I was in it!

Tips, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Drae
Last edited by drae on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
Jena S
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Asked to do book review on Dr. Bredesen's _The End of Alzheimer's_ help, please

Post by Jena S »

Drae, I would first like to give you the upmost applause for taking on this amazing opportunity offered to you! How exciting!! Offering your knowledge, therapeutic use of self, and desire to help others shows how dedicated you are to expand these areas. I don't have my copy of his book in front of me at the moment, however, I would like to give a suggestion to consider using more subjective information. I find that an audience often attracts to personal stories, success stories, and simple information to make changes rather than statistics and medical jargon (Some people LOVE numbers and research I understand). Knowing your audience is key and this will probably be an introduction of this information to some of your audience. After hearing success stories, people immediately want to know "HOW?" and "WHAT CAN I DO?" so possibly making suggestions from Dr. Bredesen's book or giving examples of tasty recipes might give a nice introduction. I think 30-40 minutes is a short amount of time to discuss such an array of information. This may be a great introduction to the book and help others be advocates! Luckily, we have a FABULOUS group here and I trust you will get many other great recommendations from others. Good luck!!!
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Asked to do book review on Dr. Bredesen's _The End of Alzheimer's_ help, please

Post by Jan »

I like Jena's suggestions, drae. I definitely think YOUR personal story will resonate with the group.

You might start off with acknowledging that heretofore society hasn't thought that prevention or reversal was in any way possible. Add that Dr. Bredesen's clinical work clearly shows that it has happened (Patient Zero's story starts on page 21).

Mention the site, where member after member talks about significant improvement. Mention that YOU have had significant improvement. And add that it's all about a roof. A roof with 36 holes. And doesn't it make sense to start plugging the holes we know about in the leaky roof? And here are some of the methods... (And start talking about the changes you have been making.)

You might prepare a handout beforehand with some of the 36 markers. You can be frank that you don't understand all of the 'holes' completely yet. (If that is the case.) But that you're the 'everlasting beginner' and you are not going to quit until you do, and until you plug as many of those holes as possible. And that you, personally, do believe that it is possible. And that another thing you know is, if THEY have already decided that it's not possible, and refuse to even consider that maybe it is possible - well, then, you're sorry they've made that decision. But if they want to consider possibilities ... the future is not yet written.

Just some ideas. You go, girl!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

quick note on the "36 holes" - it's not as simple as "reduce insulin resistance" or "optimize Vitamin D level." They are more like "reduce APP-beta cleavage" and "enhance mitochondrial function and biogenesis." Check out End of Alzheimer's pgs 81-85. The 36 holes are an analogy, not a solid number of problems contributing to cognitive decline. More and more factors are being discovered.

Drae - you continue to amaze! Keep the talk simple. It may be helpful to watch some of Bredesen's short talks on his website or YouTube and present a simplified version. Good luck!
Slacker
E4/E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

The 26 holes is a good analogy, especially if you point out that some people only have 10 holes to patch and others need to address them all. After using the analogy, you might lump things into the "how to fix the holes" groups, because that's what we all want to know. How do I fix this?

I'm currently working on the Bredesen ReCODE wiki pages, and I've chosen Diet, Lifestyle, Brain Strategies and Labs to Test and Track. The wiki rework is not finished, and might still be a little too technical for a general audience (like it refers to mitochondria), but I'm thinking the strategies he lays out in the book can be simplified into groups.

I always like to end talks with a call to action. Maybe you can give them 3 things they can do, starting tomorrow that will set them on a path to good brain health. Sort of like your "3 things I'm going to do this month". Not general stuff like don't eat sweets. (Everyone knows they shouldn't eat junk or sweets or get more exercise). I'd aim for specific things they might do that are unique to the book - like don't eat past 3 hours before going to bed, ask you doctor to check your homocysteine levels and turn off your electronic devices 2 hours before bed. Pick your favorites!

Drae, your attitude and energy are a gift to everyone on the forum and those around you!
Wondering
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Wondering »

This is very exciting!

One suggestion - for any review - is to make sure to include at least one or two negatives or drawbacks. Otherwise, if it's all 100% positive, it comes out sounding like proselytizing - which is a turn off for most people. [In the case of the Bredesen protocol, the "negatives" could be things like the fact that insurance may not pay for some (or any) of the bloodwork and other testing, or even just that making major diet and lifestyle changes can be difficult.]

Otherwise, I agree that sharing your personal story is a very effective way to spread information that you are excited about. Especially if you are not a doctor or other "recognized expert;" what you ARE an expert in is your own experience.

Good luck with it! Let us know how it goes.
E3/E4, both parents had LOAD
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Drae, I have been quietly reading some of your posts and have been super impressed with all the many ways you have been tackling brain health (possibly the most important being your positive energy!). I thought I couldn't possibly be more inspired and impressed, but then I saw that you are doing this book review. I just need to say . . . WOW!

I don't have any suggestions for your talk (except to just be you!). I have the book but have mainly been using it as a reference.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi Drae, Some great ideas above! If you do put together some slides or a handout and want someone to proof it for you don't hesitate to reach out! You will be awesome!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Jena S wrote:amazing opportunity... How exciting!! ...I find that an audience often attracts to personal stories, success stories, and simple information... Good luck!!!
slacker wrote:Check out End of Alzheimer's pgs 81-85. The 36 holes are an analogy,...Drae - you continue to amaze! Keep the talk simple. It may be helpful to watch some of Bredesen's short talks
SusanJ wrote:...a good analogy, especially if you point out that some people only have 10 holes to patch and others need to address them all. After using the analogy,... How do I fix this? I've chosen Diet, Lifestyle, Brain Strategies and Labs to Test and Track.... the strategies he lays out in the book can be simplified into groups. I always like to end talks with a call to action.
Wondering wrote:This is very exciting! One suggestion... make sure to include at least one or two negatives or drawbacks. Otherwise, if it's all 100% positive, it comes out sounding like proselytizing. Let us know how it goes.
Anna wrote:... super impressed with all the many ways you have been tackling brain health (possibly the most important being your positive energy!). . . . WOW!
Sara wrote:Hi Drae, Some great ideas above! If you do put together some slides or a handout and want someone to proof it for you don't hesitate to reach out! You will be awesome!
To all, I am overwhelmed by your == yes, love -- and support. I am positive. I have learned in life to be positive. Positive in the face of all this that is happening to so many of us and all over the world.

Please understand if I do not spend time on the forum, especially writing and responding, it is because I am out here "doing" life. And right now it is a little more than full time. I am very busy incorporating as much of your advice as I can. Yes, I will tell stories, share my own journey, mention the site, and, do a handout. Great idea to get it proofed (or, more suggestions!). I have begun re-reading the book.

According to the statistics in chapter one, 1 in 7 Americans alive today is on track to die from Alzheimer's. I can be a very small part of helping us to begin reducing that number. My prayer is this nation will wake up and start living what we can do, not just against Alzheimer's, but for our lives. Reversing diabetes. Taking responsibility for sleep and exercise. Adding to rather than subtracting from our families, communities, nations, world. Me first.

I am so grateful for all of you forerunners and co-battlers. Please know I am grateful, shaking off the daily buffeting to every time turn and get back on the offense against dementia and life-robbers, for life and possibilities. We have options!

Truly, my best to you all, in your battles for life and for your families. We are the builders of this world.

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

My prayer is this nation will wake up and start living what we can do, not just against Alzheimer's, but for our lives. Reversing diabetes. Taking responsibility for sleep and exercise. Adding to rather than subtracting from our families, communities, nations, world. Me first.
This! Yes!
~Anna
4/4 but so much more