new to the group

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stacia
Contributor
Contributor

new to the group

Post by Stacia »

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the group and actually new to joining a forum of any kind. I found out I was ApoE 4/4 several years ago but didn't know what I could do about it. Lately though, there has been so much information it is both encouraging and overwhelming. Unfortunately, I have not led the most healthy lifestyle. I am very overweight and I have an injury that prevents me from most exercise. My husband and I have read Dr. Bredesen's book and watched as many videos that we could find. This group looks super supportive and knowledgable. I'm so happy to have found it! Thank you!
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: new to the group

Post by Anna »

Welcome, Stacia! I am also 4/4. I found out just over a year ago. You are right that this group is super supportive and knowledgeable. It sounds like you also have a supportive husband, which is awesome.
Stacia wrote:Lately though, there has been so much information it is both encouraging and overwhelming.
This is exactly how I feel! I'm just trying to take in the info (and make corresponding changes) one bite-size piece at a time.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi Stacia and welcome to the apoe4.info site. We are so glad that you found us. Congratulations on your courage for sharing your story and for reading Dr. Bredesen's book. It sounds as though you have a supportive husband and a positive perspective and they will certainly be important assets to you along your journey! We are here to support you in whatever way needed so don't hesitate to reach out should you have any questions or want to contribute to any of the postings. Warm Regard, Sara
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
SandyK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SandyK »

Hi Stacia. I'm so glad you found us. It's great that you are so curious and interested in learning more about what you can do. I'll point you first toward our site Primer. It was written by physician member Stavia and is filled with explanatory and helpful information. There is also a Wiki page that you can reference. Feel free to ask questions. There are many people on this forum that will be happy to help you. Remember it's not to late to make changes in your lifestyle that could be healthier.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hi Stacia. Glad you found your way here.

Bredesen's book has so much in it, and I think it's useful to look at 1 or 2 places to start. If you try to do it all at once, it's overwhelming. Maybe you can pick out a couple of things to pursue? Things that speak to your own health, or health trends in your family? In my dad's family (he had AD), diabetes and heart attacks were common, so those are related to my targets.

Have you had any labs done? It would be important to know your fasting insulin, HbA1c and triglycerides. Many of us here feel that insulin resistance is the place to start and those labs will give you an idea of what you need to tackle.

What is your diet like? Can you make some changes there?

Small changes. You can do it, just as many of us here have done those first steps to regain our health.
Stacia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stacia »

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advise. I started making changes 3-4 weeks ago. I am fasting 14-16 hours, have upped my EVOO and cut out all sugar, pasta, bread,dairy, etc. The food is difficult though. I have been having trouble getting enough veggies in.

I just joined the ReCODE group and am going through the practioners to find one that looks good for me. So, my labs have not been drawn yet. I am certain I am insulin resistant (in the past my HgA1Cc was around 5.8). The biggest lab value concern for me is that my hsCRP has been 9.9 in the past. I've been taking various suppliments for years (tumeric, cinnimon, vit D, vit B, CoQ10, resveritol). I also stopped the Crestor I was taking. It was very low dose and I never thought I really needed it.

Sleep is difficult too. Usually, I have to wake up to go to the bathroom (drinking lots of water). I've tried Melatonin but it seems to stimulate my mind and I end up in a sleepy mind trip. Meditation helps most.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Hello Stacia! You've made some great changes in just 3 - 4 weeks. One small step at a time really does add up to great results.
Stavia's Primer has a section on Sleep that you might find helpful. You can find the link to the sleep topic here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418&start=10#p15646. You can also search for "sleep" by clicking on the 3 vertical dots to the right of your name and then search for "Sleep" to view previous discussions and what others have found helpful. My cat wakes me up 2 - 4 times a night (Ugh!). I can usually get back to sleep pretty quickly unless my mind starts up and I get to thinking about something. When this happens, I've found the 4-7-8 breathing technique helpful to calm me and get back to sleep. Breathe in slowly through the nose for 4. Hold for 7. Slowly breathe out through the mouth for 8. Repeat 3 times for a total of 4 repetitions.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Hi, Stacia! You are certainly off to a very good start. I read Dr. Bredesen's book only two months ago so I am new and making many small changes myself. Very nice to have you along on our journey!

I wanted to add that I am also still very overweight, like about 100 pounds, although I have lost 60+ pounds in recent years and know this protocol will help me lose more. I would not worry about the weight. I have learned focusing on what I should eat does me a lot more good and makes more progress. =) You are already doing so well!

Congratulations and welcome. Truly feel free to ask anything. This group is wonderful at helping, and the good progress started when you started making changes.

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

Good afternoon, Stacia! I will just reiterate everyone else when I say "Welcome, and I'm so glad you found us." It sounds like you are definitely on the right path here. Things can sometimes be overwhelming for sure, and that is why we are here. The support you get from the members here is nothing short of amazing. I look forward to helping you in your journey!

Kelly
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Stacia wrote:Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advise. I started making changes 3-4 weeks ago. I am fasting 14-16 hours, have upped my EVOO and cut out all sugar, pasta, bread,dairy, etc. The food is difficult though. I have been having trouble getting enough veggies in.

I just joined the ReCODE group and am going through the practioners to find one that looks good for me. So, my labs have not been drawn yet. I am certain I am insulin resistant (in the past my HgA1Cc was around 5.8). The biggest lab value concern for me is that my hsCRP has been 9.9 in the past. I've been taking various suppliments for years (tumeric, cinnimon, vit D, vit B, CoQ10, resveritol). I also stopped the Crestor I was taking. It was very low dose and I never thought I really needed it.

Sleep is difficult too. Usually, I have to wake up to go to the bathroom (drinking lots of water). I've tried Melatonin but it seems to stimulate my mind and I end up in a sleepy mind trip. Meditation helps most.
Hi Stacia ... wonderful that you are drinking lots of water (hopefully filtered). We certainly want to stay well-hydrated. But I wonder if making those strong efforts during the day, but then limiting the water intake a while before bedtime, might prevent having to get up during the night? That would help your sleep, if so.

If melatonin is not working for you (some people have reported that they needed to adjust the dose of melatonin), there are blue light blocking glasses that you put on at sundown - that help your body manufacture melatonin naturally. Those might be helpful.

I'm so glad that you find meditation helpful. That is a major plus. And so glad that you will be working with a ReCODE practitioner. We look forward to hearing about your progress going forward!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.