Exercise with Minimal Impact

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Exercise with Minimal Impact

Post by Sara »

Does anyone have any ideas for a minimal impact exercise that would be good for someone with knee pain and pending knee surgery - a form of exercise that would elevate their heart rate? We have ruled out swimming, elliptical, and extended walking for now. Thank you.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Exercise with Minimal Impact

Post by Jan »

Sara, there’s a great series called Sit and Be Fit, it’s svailable in my area on cable. They’re all exercises done while sitting, and there are tons of episodes.

Bastyr University used to have a course you could purchase (not expensive, dvd through the mail I think) on Arthritis, that had a section on exercises for minimal impact.

I’ve seen Tai Chi for Arthritis classes before, floramaria might have information on that, as she teaches Tai Chi.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Sara,
Does your friend go to the gym?
I think you can get a great cardio workout on the seated upper body bike (hand bike) or on a rowing machine.
I used both when my knees were not cooperating, and I was always able to elevate my heart rate.

The other thing you can do, is to use light weights, and resistance bands, and create an upper body / core cardio workout.
If you need tips how to in a fun way incorporate hand bike, rowing machine, and light weights in to the workout please let me know:)
I worked in a past as a Personal Trainer, and group fitness instructor:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Wow, great ideas! Thank you both!
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Sara,

I feel your friend’s pain, truly. I’ve been working issues with my right foot for the past 5 years including 3 surgeries, ugh.

Does your friend happen to have a community rec center nearby? Unlike private gyms, rec centers don’t try to get you to sign up with contracts and are typically reasonably priced. Mine offers a daily pass, monthly pass, annual membership, household memberships, and “punch” cards. If you’re not a resident, they charge a little more because your taxes don’t contribute to the center, but it’s all still reasonable.

Go there and ask to just walk around and look at what the facility has to offer, they’ll let you do that for no cost. If they’re not busy, explain the situation and they’ll probably offer lots of ideas. The other thing I like about a rec center vs a local gym is I see all kinds at our rec center: young, old, folks obviously rehabbing from surgery, with walkers, with oxygen, etc.
Our rec center has a hand cycle, rowing machines, recumbent bikes, free weights, weight equipment (so no need for spotter), yoga classes including for those with physical limitations, all sorts of things. Our rec center also has pools. I know you said no swimming, but there are classes in water aerobics, which is great to provide resistance for muscles without the force of gravity. There are also a bunch of floatation belts, “barbells”, noodles, etc. to help with doing exercises if joining a class isn’t desirable. Our rec center also has a “lazy river” where I was able to walk against the current of the “river” but not pound my poor foot.

There’s also things you can do to “trick” your body into thinking it’s exercising, a sauna for instance, which the rec center may also have. A sauna gets a person sweating and raises the heart beat. Good as running a 5k? Probably not, but there IS benefit to this.

Here’s a crazy thought, near any lakes? How about kayaking? Okay you need a kayak to do this, but I remember one of the places I lived had a gym next to a lake and kayaking was one of the exercises they offered, I thought how fun!
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

TheresaB wrote:rowing machines...
Arggh, TheresaB. I just combed our small city. Our senior center and four other silver sneaker sites (where I don't pay) do NOT have rowing machines. Only my (former) crossfit gym, the YMCA and, an elementary school. Go figure. I keep thinking of buying one.

Rowers = the best all body workout machine. Don't see it working for a knee but I learned to love it when I had my foot in a boot. =)

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
ccfield
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ccfield »

I am a big fan of the Ski Erg machine. Not all gyms have it but it certainly rivals the rower and is really mostly upper body. You can even do it sitting on the ground. My trainer uses it on his clients with knee issues. But beware....it's one heck of a workout! Tell them to take it slow.
- Carrie B
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Just a thought....My daughter gave me a gift certificate to Orange Theory. I am a retired fitness Therapist(glorified trainer) so get a little excited about anything to do with keeping us moving in a safe and healthy manner. Orange theory has water rowers that were amazingly smooth and quiet. I do not know if you have an Orange Theory in your area but you might, if you have crossfit. This company sells rowers but you could try them out maybe at Orange Theory.: https://www.uniquefit1.com/catalogsearc ... ter+rowers New the lowest is $795. Good luck
Brain4ever
New User
New User

Post by Brain4ever »

Aquatic fitness is painfree and terrific
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi Brain4ever and welcome to the apoe4.info site. I agree with you that swimming is a terrific workout. If you would like to learn more about this site please visit our Primer. Again, welcome and thank you for your contribution.