Quick question how to lower Homocysteine

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Quick question how to lower Homocysteine

Post by shacherry »

I want to take my Homocysteine level from 9 to 7 or below. Would either of these work?

ApoE 3/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Quick question how to lower Homocysteine

Post by slacker »

shacherry wrote:I want to take my Homocysteine level from 9 to 7 or below. Would either of these work?

May I suggest reading the homocysteine wiki, and then looking at the contents of the two supplements again? The wiki is a great resource for all sorts of inquiries and can be found by clicking the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner the the web site. You can also find a search engine by clicking the same dots, and look at past threads that discuss how to reduce homocysteine.
Slacker
E4/E4
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

Slacker,

I'm having a hard time finding specifics on this subject using the wiki and search functions. I've been referring back to some of the books I'm reading on diet and dementia and think it's a B complex that might help. My diet is as good as it's going to get so at this point I'm looking for supplements. I've already started Ginko Leaf and Cod Live Oil, YUMMY!
ApoE 3/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

shacherry, the wiki does not make recommendations for supplements, with the exception of TMG. Some folks use Consumer Labs (you have to pay) to check on the best products. Too hard to keep up with the options.

That said, I'd choose the Vital Nutrients over the other. They are a better match to Dr. Bredesen's recommended doses.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

shacherry wrote:Slacker,

I'm having a hard time finding specifics on this subject using the wiki and search functions. I've been referring back to some of the books I'm reading on diet and dementia and think it's a B complex that might help. My diet is as good as it's going to get so at this point I'm looking for supplements. I've already started Ginko Leaf and Cod Live Oil, YUMMY!
I'm confused on what specifics you are looking for. The wiki (linked in green on my initial response), lists types and suggested starting doses of several supplements, but not brands.

"Methylfolate and Methyl-B12

Studies generally show homocysteine levels will be normal when folate and B12 status are good even in those with genetic variants. So, this is the place to start, especially if you have MTHFR or MTRR variants. The efficiency of MTR to recycle homocysteine depends on both. Start with methylcobalamin (methyl B12) at 5 mcg to 1 mg/day. Then add methyl folate starting at 400-800 mcg/day. You can go up to a max of 5 mg/day if needed, but watch for "busy" brain side effects, and drop back if you get it.

Trimethylglycine (aka TMG, Betaine)

Helps overcome problems in the BHMT portion of the methylation cycle. TMG is created from choline, so deficiencies in choline are also a factor.

Notice the high dose of TMG mentioned, up to 3 g/day. As above, I recommend starting much lower, perhaps as low as 250mg/day and increasing from there to avoid upset an stomach."

SusanJ's suggestion focuses on how to find reputable brands.

What are we missing to help you?
Slacker
E4/E4
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

Slacker,

Now I see you linked the wiki info in your reply. I kept on using the three dots and got into the wiki page but did not see homocysteine itself listed. I’m fine with vetting the brands myself. Thank you both.
ApoE 3/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

shacherry wrote:Slacker,

Now I see you linked the wiki info in your reply. I kept on using the three dots and got into the wiki page but did not see homocysteine itself listed. I’m fine with vetting the brands myself. Thank you both.
No worries; it takes time to figure out how to navigate through the density of information. It can also be challenging to interpret what is exactly meant by the written word, despite best efforts to be clear! We've all been there...
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good discussion. The wiki article is enormously dense as it reflects Susan's understanding on the topic ;). Deep bow. That said, I have a question re. the information as it's presented. My understanding is that B12, folate AND B6 (or the activated form, P5P) in the presence of a healthy Omega-3 index are the typical first steps towards reducing Hcy. I thought betaine (TMG) was used if these initial steps weren't successful. In that regard, the wiki might be misleading. Many folks don't require TMG. (Also, bear in mind that many members may not have access to their SNPs and may not be able to intervene strategically.) That said, I wonder if it might be more helpful to point new members to the Primer Strategy #8 that has more succinct and straight forward information?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

The wiki is for a deep dive. The Primer is better for new folks.

I would like suggest we edit the Primer slightly to encourage people to start with B12 (to avoid folate trapping), followed by folate. And to start lower than Bredesen's recommendations and work up if needed. It helps avoid side effects. (Stavia, do you mind if I tweak?)

Julie, the wiki suggests methylfolate and methyl-B12, TMG (and choline) and B6 third. If you'd like me to move the B6 in front of the TMG, can do. I had my reasons, but if you want to reflect Bredesen's preferences I can.

I'm currently researching more about when folate and B12 don't help or cause other problems. Ben Lynch and Chris Masterjohn are both recommending choline and creatine to ease the burden on folate for methyl groups. In fact Lynch claims that creatine can make a difference for people intolerant of folates. I'll probably be in there one of these days to edit anyway after I dig a bit more.
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

Thanks for linking strategy 8. I have no doubt homocysteine levels must be a thing. I Recently participated in the MARKVcid study. It is a consortium of medical centers around the country looking for bio markers for vascular dementia. Something APOE4 carries are also at risk for. One of the blood tests was homocysteine levels. My cardiologist never had tested it. But if Johns Hopkins researchers did and I know I have mild small vessel disease and heart disease and a high RA factor with rheumatoid arthritis I might as well do the work to lower my level!
ApoE 3/4