Newbie still in shock

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Newbie still in shock

Post by Sara »

Hi Elliep... there are lots of resources available. I am reading Ketone Clarity at the present time. I believe Dr. Perlmutter's book Grain Brain and his related cook book are also great books on this topic. There is also a lot of information in the Primer as noted above pertaining to nutrition and diet. Lastly, you can go to advanced search and search on ketone to find posts about this topic. Good luck and congratulations for moving forward on this journey.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

Hey! Welcome, Elliep!

Sorry you fit in, but glad to have you.
I was terrified when I found out, accidentally.
I came on here, they told me that it gets better. It did.
The shock dissipates. The fear shrinks.
Then, you just deal with it, one day at a time.

The primer is priceless. Just, take your time. Read a little each day.
Don't let it overwhelm you. (It did me. My OCD made me try to learn it all at once. Not possible. LOL)
If you have questions, ask.
The folks on this board are brilliant and very helpful.
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Hi Elliep

There are lots of keto cookbooks out there (search on Amazon), and we are collecting recipes here on the Forum. Here is the thread where we have been collecting the recipes, and I am taking all the contributions from the group and organizing them on the Recipe Wiki. I hope you find some recipes that you like there.

As you experiment with adding new delicious foods to your life, be sure to post any recipes that you would recommend to the group. We are all looking for delicious ways to nourish our bodies and brains!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

Hi Elliep.....I just read your intro from back in February. I am curious to hear how you are doing and how your feeling like "death sentence" had been handed down now? It's certainly a process and I'm sure other newbies might benefit from hearing how those who have known the "bad news" for a while are faring now. I found out this summer and also felt it was like the big boom lowered on me that sucked the "joie de vivre" right out of me. I have slowly clawed my way back to optimism and curious how you are now.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Elliep wrote:...I am very grateful for this group and for having the knowledge to get on the front end of this. I must say, I am different than I was last week after finding this out. My whole view of life is different.
Karina52 wrote:Hi Elliep.....I just read your intro from back in February. I am curious to hear how you are doing and how your feeling like "death sentence" had been handed down now? It's certainly a process and I'm sure other newbies might benefit from hearing how those who have known the "bad news" for a while are faring now. I found out this summer and also felt it was like the big boom lowered on me that sucked the "joie de vivre" right out of me. I have slowly clawed my way back to optimism and curious how you are now.
Hi Karina 52, from another "52",
I quoted Elliep's first post using the quotation mark icon box in the upper right hand corner of her post, so that she would get an email notifying her of your question. And also quoted you so you would get my reply.

It's not as quick as "reply all" on email, but once you get used to it works pretty well. Here's a link to some tips and screen shots of how to use this sometimes quirky software! Tools to use when posting

I'm glad to know you're back to optimism--and trust that any days with dark clouds will be temporary as you gain a sense of being able to control so many of the risks yourself.
4/4 and still an optimist!
hairyfairy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hairyfairy »

I looked at the list of foods that your`e advised to stay away from, & it covers just about everything! Just what are people who are 4/4 supposed to eat?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

hairyfairy wrote:I looked at the list of foods that your`e advised to stay away from, & it covers just about everything! Just what are people who are 4/4 supposed to eat?
You could start with the WiKi to get an over view . Several cookbooks are
Mentioned above in the thread . Many different takes on the ideal diet.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

What is the best diet to follow? Is there a Keto book? Dr Bredeson recommends Keto 12/3? and I have seen Dr Gundry mentioned a few times...No CHIA seeds?? or Zucchini? I just made that Chia pudding too..
Just wanted to add that many of us are vegan here or mostly vegan (adding SMASH or meat once in a while). You might look at the book The Alzheimer's Solution by Drs Ayesha & Dean Sherzai or Power Foods for the Brain by Dr. Neal Barnard.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR